Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Old man rant – bottom brackets
  • endomick
    Free Member

Muddyground do you mean gxp, if so that’s the problem, I’m assuming so because dub system has preload, I’d swap to shimano, hope bb needs adapter for gxp, maybe thats what’s gone wrong.

brownsauce
    Free Member

usual maintenance of removing and cleaning after every few rides……..

Really ? removing cranks and stripping BB is not something i’d want to do more than once every 18mths

not sure that many would consider that usual but still , if youre happy and wotnot.

thepurist

riding a bike without guards means water gets down the seat tube and stays there

All my bikes have a little hole in the bottom of the bb shell to let that water out. MrsP had a lapierre that didn’t have one and that killed a couple of press fit bbs before I drilled a 3mm hole, next bb lasted ages.

plus-one

I ran a hope few years back the bearings failed after few months :(. Insult to injury I had a hard time getting crank off as the bearings had got good grip on hollow tech axle 🙁 . Due to metal on metal no plastic top cap as Shimano.

Back with Shimano no issues since.

muddyground
    Free Member

I’ve had a play. Looks like I left a small plastic spacer on the drive side crank of the SRAM that should not have been there for Hope. Operator error….. Sorry Hope!

argee

I remove the cranks, clean the BB and area and relube where required, no stripping of the BB as stated before, they’re rubber sealed bearings, but i would rather clean and relube every couple of months than leave it a year and then find something’s seized, it’s a steel frame with aluminium BB shells and water is getting down the downtube due to the internal routing, i’ve dealt with seized BB cups in the past and don’t want to mess about with that stuff again, also never had a BB fail on me so must be doing something right!

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve had a play. Looks like I left a small plastic spacer on the drive side crank of the SRAM that should not have been there for Hope. Operator error….. Sorry Hope!

What did the shop that fitted it do about the spacer? Has removing it sorted the problem, or is the BB borked?

muddyground
    Free Member

Not sure how to write in small letters – I put the crank back on, and did not notice the existing SRAM plastic dust cap on the drive side. Obv now redundant. The cranks do spin a bit better, d’oh. If the BB needs new bearings, then that’s on me, not Hope or the shop.

damascus
    Free Member

I love a good old man rant! They are the best, especially when they are wrong. There no fun when they have a good point.

Fair play for admitting it and not just letting the thread die.

We’ve all been there in some shape or form!

manton69

I ended up on hope for a gxp xx chain set. The cheap bbs lasted weeks (in one case one ride!)and I ended up with the hope one that it is now 4 years old. I was so impressed that I now have them on all my bikes and not only do they last, they are user serviceable and not just a disposable item.

Superficial
    Free Member

Let me offer an alternative narrative:
    Unlucky person has bad experience with BB (which is always a possibility), they buy another one. Whether or not that’s an expensive one has no bearing (ha!) on its lifespan, but people feel their choice of an expensive BB is affirmed when it lasts more than a year. Ergo they form the opinion OEM BB = bad, Expensive BB = good.

In the alternate reality where they bought an OEM BB, things are also tickedy-boo (but they don’t experience that).

It’s just probability, and yeah that may be down to SRAM QC being slightly worse than Hope. But the price difference is insane *.

I ended up on hope for a gxp xx chain set. The cheap bbs lasted weeks (in one case one ride!)

Well, the one that lasted a ride was clearly faulty or installed incorrectly. I’ve had GXP BBs fail quickly after a few months. I’ve also just replaced a SRAM OEM one that has been on my MTB since 2015.

*N.B. I’m not taking into account the £50 fitting charge LOL.

muddyground
    Free Member

I have a Shimano £16 BB that has done over 6,000 miles……

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Old man rant – bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.