Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Old man of the hills
  • el_boufador

Why do you keep going back?

Caher

the cup of tea afterwards.

Spin
    Free Member

Because I’ve got nowhere else to go.

matt_outandabout

I don’t know what else to do on a day off.

piemonster

Sometimes It’s a way of narrowing the world down, everything else disappears from the minds eye and I just focus solely on what I’m doing. That and coz it’s a laugh/rewarding or whatever.

andy4d

For the peace and time to just empty my head.

felltop

Why wouldn’t I?

fasthaggis

Because..
    I find my peace in open spaces.

init

MrSparkle

The mountains are calling and I must go – John Muir

weeksy

I can’t answer as the words don’t seem correct.

When i’m out in the woods it all just feels ‘right’. I’m not sure if it’s the peace, the seclusion, the skills, the challenges, the mud or a combination of them all, but i sit there and think “yeah that’s where i need to be right now”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did you just assume my gender?

lister

I went up a couple of ‘proper’ Lakeland mountains this week for the first time in about 15 years. I’d forgotten.
    I’ve remembered again. It’s important, that’s why.

Sandwich

“Because it’s there” – George Mallory

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sometimes just to escape the craziness in surburbia, other times to try and prove I can’t climb as fast as I could two years ago when I was ~10Kg lighter and an FTP ~40W lower.

ton

peace, views, love.

towzer

Coz the exercise helps me justify the sneaky bacon sarnie/steak slice/other tasty unhealthy products are available and I love the peace and quiet

IdleJon

There was no reason for me to climb Pendle Hill before breakfast a few weeks ago, other than why wouldn’t I?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The mountains make me realise how insignificant we all are, how beautiful our surroundings are and also gives me time to actually talk, properly talk to those I love.

matt_outandabout

…love.

Giggity.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I need to get back out and feel the love. Boring but totally unimportant stuff has been taking the lead of late, just get the game out of the way tomorrow then I’m back, I’ve promised my lad who is running out of riding buddies, that I will step back up…..

gordimhor

There are so many reasons I never know which reason at any particular time, but I do keep going back and it’s getting on for 50 years now.

el_boufador

Sorry about that captain flashheart you are correct. How old fashioned/Women/trans unfriendly I have revealed myself to be.
    I suppose in my defence it’s a well known phrase.

Anyway for me I guess I am closest to gordimhor. Lots and lots of reasons many of which mentioned above, I have kind of lost count/track and now almost fail to rationalise it (wood for the trees I guess).

Also I can’t really separate me from it, nowadays. If I didn’t go out in the hills/outdoors, or strive to, as much as reasonably possible, I simply wouldn’t be me any more.

el_boufador

I suppose that’s what ideljohn says more succinctly!

kennyp
    Free Member

Because sometimes on the summit you get views that no photo, video, painting or description can come even close to doing justice.

Then again I’ve also been at plenty of summit cairns where you struggle to what colour Jelly Baby you’re eating.

duckman

I can’t not. Wondering what the view is over the next hill. Headspace, exercise, solitude,company,history, curiosity.To see animals,plants and landscapes that no photo can frame. Memories and the promise of new ones.

irc

Space and solitude. Last Wednesday I walked 5 hours through the hills to the bothy without seeing another person. Same walking out the next day. Not many lowland places in the UK that empty.

crikey
    Free Member

I have a poo trowel, therefore…

nofx
    Free Member

Getting away from the crowd is my reason.

RustySpanner

I take it you’ve not been to Burnley?

crikey
    Free Member

I’ll tell you now and i’ll tell you firmly…

RustySpanner

I used to work in Salford.
    Burnley is paradise in comparison. 🙂

He was right about Keighley though……

northernsoul

the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don’t know (Albert Einstein)

I’m not tired of seeing new places and finding out new things. Modern tech is great – after a ride down Bowderdale earlier in the year one of the photos had a good enough resolution to pick out details miles away. Turns out there’s a granite quarry near Shap you can see from the Howgills.

northernsoul

He was right about Keighley though……

When Mark Steel did “In Our Town” in Skipton he quoted someone on the high street as saying that Keighley was “the sink of all evil”.

tjagain

Peace of mind in the hills

Its my church and I need to worship!

CountZero

Because the view from the top is vastly superior to the view from the bottom*
    *Weather conditions permitting.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Old man of the hills’ is closed to new replies.