Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Old lurcher and teeth issues.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Our lurcher cross is 12 and suddenly developed terrible breath. Took him to the vet and as suspected he has a few back molars which could do with being pulled.

He’s insured so money isn’t an issue but the teeth aren’t bothering him (I think but impossible to say). He’s still eating fine.

He’s currently on pain killers and pills to reduce swelling but I wondered if such an old dog might be better off not being anaesthitised, with all the attendant stress?

Needless to say, I also don’t want the poor old chap to be in any pain but wonder if the vet is pushing for the op for financial reasons.

globalti
    Free Member

If he’s got rotting teeth he will be in some pain. Yes of course vets look for work but would you want him to be suffering?

user-removed
    Free Member

Of course I don’t want him to suffer – he’s my best mate but there are other options – antibiotics to treat infection or perhaps a lifelong regime of pills.

Just looking for opinions.

IHN

Our dog occasionally gets terrible breath cos of bad teeth (he’s old, 16/17). Eventually the tooth falls out, he’s got about ten left, tops. Doesn’t seem to bother him, still eats fine, although he can’t manage some of the tougher chew treats that he liked to, er, chew.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Just had both our lurcher’s teeth cleaned. Luckily didn’t require any teeth out this time (last time one of them had 4 out). Ours are 7 and 8, and the anaesthetic made them very lethargic and even more sorry for themselves than usual for a couple of days after. One had a little gum disease too which has cleared up now. If money isn’t the issue then I’d take the Vets advice, if he/she thinks it won’t harm your dog and will improve its lifestyle/well-being why not go for it? Cost £580 for our two dogs….

anagallis_arvensis

Must remember to brush my lurchers teeth!!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wilko 1999…
    For a nano second there ( until I got past the first line ) ..I had a vision of a dog with just two front teeth ..made me chuckle 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Nice to know he might still be with me at the age of 17! I do trust the vet but worried about the procedure.

He’s also a rescue and panics every time he’s taken to the vet. I can take him straight to the surgery (rather than the local vet’s place) and pick him up on the same day which might ease the anxiety a bit…

wilko1999
    Free Member

hodgynd 😀

anagallis_arvensis

He’s also a rescue and panics every time he’s taken to the vet

Had mine since a pup and she trembles so much her teeth chatter when she goes to the vet! Lurchers are many things but brave aint one!!!

user-removed
    Free Member

Lurchers are many things but brave aint one!!!

It’s subjective though – he’s fought off attacks from big dogs and chased badger-diggers out of the woods on the night time walk but as soon as he smells the vet’s clinic it’s game over.

EDIT: by badger diggers I mean a team of young lads digging up a sett in the middle of the night. Saw off their terriers too.

dannybgoode

We had a greyhound who had to have all her teeth out.

She was absolutely fine – didn’t bother her at all. In fact she was much happier after and no ill effects.

Note dental work is very likely excluded from the insurance.

user-removed
    Free Member

dental work is very likely excluded from the insurance.

Well, that’s the worry. In the middle of moving house, had to close the business, child care costs etc.

And the insurance company won’t answer the phone.

anagallis_arvensis

Note dental work is very likely excluded from the insurance.

I thought that.

mattbee

My sisters eldest rescue Greyhound Kenny has 3 teeth left. He’s perfectly happy with that although he makes a hell of a noise when he’s stolen one of the other dog’s rawhide treat & is sucking it!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Dogs are models of stoicism when it comes to dental pain so the fact that they don’t act like they have toothache doesn’t mean much. My bearded collie had 3 teeth out (and the rest cleaned) at 14. Tough decision but it all worked out. She was a bit grumpy afterwards – but only cos she was hungry. She cheered up no end after a load of MandS chicken.

miketually
    Free Member

Our greyhound had a bunch of teeth removed when we first got her 10 years ago. She was like a different dog afterwards.

She’s twelve now and having some teeth issues which seem to have cleared with antibiotics. If the antibiotics don’t work the only option will be surgery, but she’s 12 years old and in heart failure so we don’t think that’s an option.

user-removed
    Free Member

but she’s 12 years old and in heart failure so we don’t think that’s an option.

Copying and pasting stuff when your eyes are hurting a bit is hard work.

I’m sure you gave her a great life and moreover a fantastic quality of life.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Old lurcher and teeth issues.’ is closed to new replies.