Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Old Kona thread
  • NormalMan

Anyone own an old Kona and better still, ride it still?

Saw one on the Bontrager thread the other day and it got me thinking.

Here is my humble Fire Mountain from 1997. It was given to me by a friend (who buys and sells retro Kona stuff occasionally) when all my bikes were stolen last summer. Came with all the original papers/receipts etc.

trumpton
    Free Member

Lovely bikes.

jabbi
    Free Member

Explosif
    I’m using this for work at the moment, 6 miles each way on an old railway line, it’s pretty much perfect for it!

jonnyrobertson

Rescued a 1989 Fire Mountain from the recycling centre years ago in exchange for a five pound note. In pretty ugly condition with a seized seatpost. Used it for station commutes wrapped in black electrical tape.

Currently awaiting shipping off to the powdercoaters while I decide what to do with it. Sky blue or olive green and turn it into some hipster nightmare ersatz cafe racer (I have the bits for this and did a few early lockdown gravel rides with this set up, great fun) or go for something a bit more period (purple, repro Kona decals and period parts). I may be in the minority here and given what I have just declared clearly no judge of taste but I found the original Joe Murray splatter paint job gopping, peeling decals and rust notwithstanding.

5lab

I sold my 2000 roast earlier in the week – probably doesn’t count as retro as its not skinny tubed, but it had done me well

Jamze

I’d love to find another 1995 Cinder Cone, just to see if it was as good as I remember. Snapped a chainstay in the end, got a warranty frame replacement, but sold it once I’d built it up. Still have the Project 2 forks hung up in the workshop for some reason.

Saccades
    Free Member

Waterford Greenway 2 months ago.

My brother was throwing away this 98 Hahanna (along with a trek Y3).

I mooched around retrobike and bought some xt and stx parts to “upgrade” and put panniers, bigger handlebars and big Apple slicks on. Used for all the jobs where I’d be worried about a more expensive bike being left without 6 tons of locks.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

No, but I’d really love to get my hands on a 1990 / 91 lavadome in the Kona people with the black joe murray project forks! My first proper mountain bike, which I loved to and road to death until it got nicked! Would be great to get one for pub & bimbling duties

franksinatra

I’ve got a 93/94 Lava Dome (Green, silver P2 forks). Was the perfect commuter bike but not been ridden for a few years now and definitely a project to get it riding nice again.

I bought it with cash saved from paper rounds when I was 15 and I obsoletely, completely, loved it. It was my pride and joy. I will never forget the feeling of riding it for the first time. Cracking bikes.

jonnyrobertson

I’ve always liked those green Lava Domes. Got into mountain biking in a big way in ’94, buying my first “proper” bike and the Lava Dome was one of the bikes I lusted after. £600ish if I remember rightly? Only had a £400 budget as I was too impatient to try and save any more.

Bez

Yup, my only MTB these days is a 96 Lava Dome (although my 93 Kilauea which I’ve owned since new is still in regular service as a town bike).

Although I’ve thinned our the collection to just one, I’ve owned several more, the highlights probably being the Chute with the glow-in-the-dark decals (awesome play bike, was also bags of fun with a 24” rear wheel… in fact I occasionally browse eBay for a cheap Chute/Stuff/Scrap/ etc frame) and the 95/96 Hot. The Lava Dome is just about perfect, though.

mr_p

@Jamze I’ve got that same 95 Cinder Cone which I’ve had since new, mainly used for commuting and gravel trails with my lad now though

kimbers

I have a 1997 lava dome, but it needs some welding at the dropout!

2002 Bear that is just the frame, I built it up but its nowhere near as much fun as I remember, done the Megavalanche & been all over the place

2006 Dew Dee-Lux beater bike that lives at Euston & I ride into work

2008 Cowan with some Bomber Z150s, juts because

2013 Kona Dew as my ride to the local station bike,

2014 Unit, set up geared with 100mm forks as my winter/ XC bike

2018 Process 153 29

Jamze
    redmex
    Free Member

I’ve got the same frame jabbi has with the fluted tube hanging up in the garage, must decide what to do with it

tthew

I’m using this for work at the moment, 6 miles each way on an old railway line, it’s pretty much perfect for it!

That wouldn’t be the Chester to Connah’s Quay Sustrans route 5 would it? I’ve seen a couple of nice retro Kona’s recently, (or maybe the same one with different riders).

Bez

Going down a Cinder Cone/eBay rabbit hole now…

Nearly £500 for a singlespeeded 92 Cindy? Bonkers.

Pre-94ish comes with some old skool baggage as well: rear clearance was much tighter and top tubes half an inch shorter than the following few years.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve had a few. My mate has a 2005 King that I rode last year. My god it was awful. Climbed well but I could barely stay on it downhill. Front wheel practically under my chest.

If anyone’s interested I still have a 2007 Heihei supreme frame (Scandium FS) cluttering up my garage. Weighs about 2.2kg

Bez

I’m morally obliged to ask size and price in the rational hope that at least one of those counts me out.

franksinatra

I’ve always liked those green Lava Domes. Got into mountain biking in a big way in ’94, buying my first “proper” bike and the Lava Dome was one of the bikes I lusted after. £600ish if I remember rightly? Only had a £400 budget as I was too impatient to try and save any more.

£550 from Cycle Care in High Wycombe. I earned a small fortune on paper rounds and covered other rounds when the paper boys were off, this meant I collected their tips at Christmas. I was minted. When I pulled £550 out of my back pocket my mum asked me if I had been dealing drugs.

tomtomthepipersson

I had a ’95 Lava Dome in blue – my first proper mtb. Used to take regular trips to Coed Y Brenin when it first opened. And after a few rides up and down Snowdon I invested in some Judys. Loved that bike.

Sold it to a friend who got it nicked from outside his central London office before he’d finished paying me. Sigh.

Also owned a ’05 Dawg Primo a Cowan and a Blast.

Rona

I still have my 1997 Hahanna – first proper mtb, and really loved it. I used it as a commuter once I’d replaced it with something lighter for off-road. Still very fond of it and wouldn’t part with it. Good times. 😃

bigblackshed

I’m lusting after a 92 Explosif. I had one BITD, sold it to buy a Canondale full suspension monstrosity.

My friends still laugh to this day about my stupidity.

oldfart

Aha Stars n Bars ♥️ totally impractical (allegedly 😁) Curve machined canti’s rubbish at doing their one job but look so good! 🙄 A Lifer for sure 😎

copa
    Free Member

97 Kona. Still the bike I ride the most.

Kona Lava Dome

kimbers

That’s 98 copa

copa
    Free Member

Ah, you’re right kimbers.
    97 looks like a darker green.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ten year ago there was some guy in London who had an old Kona fame converted to fixed gear and 700c wheels pushed in. Was one of the nicest bikes I used to see IMO.

toby

Started “proper” mountain biking on a ’93 Lava Dome – the Blue/silver fade, still one of the best paint choices on a bike IMHO. That was sadly stolen after a group ride.

I bought another one a few years later in a fit of nostalgia to run as a winter singlespeed, lovely bike but the realities of rim brakes and chain tensioners through the winter filth mean that it got replaced by one of the Joe Murray Voodoo Wangas when they were cheap ones on eBay as it had similar geometry, sliding dropouts and disc mounts for the price of adding disc mounts to the Lava Dome.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m morally obliged to ask size and price in the rational hope that at least one of those counts me out.

Size large, price whatever, tbh.

muddylegs
    Free Member

I still use my Kula,although it’s stuck on a trainer at the moment. I do intend to get it back out in the open soon😍

muddylegs
    Free Member

I use to have NuNu ( I think that’s how it’s spelt) but I had a rear wheel bearing fail on a long decent and the rotor cut a slot in the frame!!

jabbi
    Free Member

@redmex, get it built and get riding! Mine lacks the Ultrastrong downtube, apparently Tange stopped production before the model year was out so later batches had no fluting.

@tthew
    , not me I’m afraid, I’m in Northamptonshire, obviously someone with good taste in commuter bikes!

Bez

Size large, price whatever

Ah shit, now I have to DM you 😂

greeny30
    Free Member

Nice to see all the old steel hardtails and rigids still going strong, unlike most of the full sussers that snapped in half.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

After a brief encounter with a 23″ Falcon MTB (the shop convinced my parents that I’d need a large size as I was still growing – despite my protestations) I moved on to an ’87 Cinder Cone from the bike shop behind Bath railway station. I’d seen pictures of it in Mountain Biker magazine and MBUK but nothing prepared me for just how amazing it looked in the flesh or how cool the straight forks looked. I absolutely rode the hell out of that bike – all over the mendips, south Somerset and down to exmoor – most of the time with no clue where I was going, just a burning desire to go further than before.

Sadly the lure of a Raleigh Dynatrax Team Edition saw the Kona gathering dust so I sold it on to my dad who then let it gather more dust and sold it again.

For many years selling that Cinder Cone was my biggest biking regret (pretty much up there with selling one of the early Pace frames and a Klein Attitude).

In 2018 and after a considerable amount of detective work my original Kona (complete with “Revolution” bike shop stickers) was finally tracked down to a shed – burdened by dust and unloved.

It’s now hanging up in a loving home (mine) and when time permits will be restored to its former glory.

cookeaa

This was my ’98 Fire mountain setup SS a few years ago

I’ve since disassembled it, flogged off the forks (like a moron) and welded a disc mount to the back, but not yet built it up as anything useful again…

Great bikes…

akira

Got a medium Kula frame in the loft, not sure what year it is though. Was built up as rigid 29er for a while. Was nice. Might be 2007.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

I had a Fire Mountain from new in 1994, bought it to commute back and fore work as an apprentice. Still probably my favourite bike of all time, even though I had possibly the quickest warranty claim of all time when the tyre exploded 20 seconds down the road riding it home.

franksinatra

For many years selling that Cinder Cone was my biggest biking regret (pretty much up there with selling one of the early Pace frames and a Klein Attitude).

That is a seriously nice list of regrets. I would have expected you to learn the lesson much sooner. You have basically listed most of my dream bikes form when I was a teenager.

When I got my Kona we used to ride at Coed Y Benin just as they were starting out with trails there. I remember going to the hire place and Sian Davis had her team issue Pace leaning up against the wall. I was totally star struck by the thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Old Kona thread’ is closed to new replies.