Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Old Hecklers – any good?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Before they went all swoopy

Fifth Element coil shock version

Thinking of putting Pikes on

steveh

Not quite sure which version you mean by old but I’m guessing the one I’ve got, everything straight with very large replacable dropouts.

I love mine, pushed float shock giving about 5″ at the back and 36 van’s up front. Fine to ride all day and the best peaks bike i’ve ever had. Fly’s downhill and climbs happily enough.

After last night’s ride with the shock soft I’m wondering if I need to slacken the head angle some more though. This is probably as my other main bike is a Sunday though.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

2005 Steve

soobalias
    Free Member

i thought you meant old.

i’d be interested to hear about anyone riding a 1999/2000 frame, specifically the shock/fork currently used?

scruff
    Free Member

James yes they are good and not too dismilar to the new ones, front end is relatively steep/fast with Pikes on but not twitchy. BB quite low, expect a few pedal smacks. Bearings lasted a year on mine, easy to change. The shock might need a trip to TF, I changed mine to a 2nd hand RP3 and it felt as good and a whole lot lighter.
    I got a new one as I regretted selling my old one.

desf
    Free Member

They are absolutely brilliant!
    😉

steveh

Mines an 05 James, they are very good.

ART

Yup, my fave bike (last of the ‘old’ style so 2006/7 methinks), run with RP23 and Pikes, up, along, down, does it all. Corking!

deserter
    Free Member

I got an 05 heckler with 5th as a bit of something to batter whilst waiting to emigrate and if I’m honest I prefer it to the 08 yeti 575 it replaced,I run it with 130 revs and have decided to take it abroad with me instead of selling now,good fun bike

D0NK

V good, got an 03 with a 5th element coil now with the pedal platform circuit removed (I kept blowing it) by TF, so pedalling isn’t as good but it’s plush-er on the downs. Did have fox 32 vanillas and middle weight wheels which was good for long rides, now have beefier wheels and Z1s on the front for shorter routes with more technical stuff. Definitely recommended!

grievoustim
    Free Member

I built this one up a few months ago – last of the “old” frames I think

not had loads of use yet but I likes it

loopyloop
    Free Member

How about they are sooo heavy!? They weigh a tonne! WEnt to Cannock demo last sunday and tried the new Heckler: I was shocked!

D0NK

A bit portly certainly but they ride OK, I always knew mine was a bit heavy but I was genuinley shocked to find out it weighted 32lb. Like I said I used to do some pretty big rides on it (and some monster climbs) and the weight didn’t bother me. Mind you I kept an eye on the scales wheels/tyres wise.

grievoustim
    Free Member

depends what you view as heavy – mines about 30lbs on the bathroom scales – I don’t know what your demo bike was built up with

stever
    Free Member

soobalias – 2000-ish model rides well with about 100/120mm up front. Mine has adjustable Revelations, which work nicely.

scruff
    Free Member

Heavier wont break.

loopyloop
    Free Member

I think it’s safe to say that manufacturers are pretty careful with weight especially on a demo bike on a Demo big day event next to other manufacturers; it was heavy!
    You pick it up with one hand, it feels heavy! Certainly so compared to the Blur LT2 or the Yeti 575.
    The Heckler is known for being a heavy frame, however you see it!

scruff
    Free Member

heavy hecklers are also still going strong after 5 years, as you can see from above posts.

575s are flexy barges.

deserter
    Free Member

I transferred the same kit from my 575{08} to the heckler,didn’t change a thing,it doesn’t feel any heavier

fu_manchu
    Free Member

Built up a 2005 spec Heckler frame in December, yes its heavy, but its a really good ride, mate has a 2005 spec one as well both very happy with them

Rivett
    Free Member

I had a Mk 2 Heckler. It was good. raced a fair few enduros on it with Marz forks up front. I sold it to a friend who rates it. I bought the latest style of Heckler which is a bit longer in the top tube length. Both are good.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes.
    Had on ’00 until very recently. Sold it to go for a Cotic Simple with Rohloff for simplicity. I loved the Heckler though.
    Ran it with 5th coil shock with a Ti spring and ‘Zocchi AM2s up front. Longer forks slackened head angle nicely. Medium frame was possibly a tad short in the top tube for me, but there you go, it rode just fine.

timber

have ran my ’05 heckler with 5th coil and coil pikes, very capable, bags of confidence, plough and huck after riding up

now back to vanillas and light kit as Pikes have gone onto hardtail to burly that up for a bit, rides good light too

roundwheels
    Free Member

My mate has a 07 heckler and imo he is geting slower up and down hill and has to walk over most tecnical things or mabe it’s him. 😉

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

My Heckler is 03/04..one of the built in the USA frames.

Run it with a Push’d RP23 and Coil Lyriks up front.

Total Talent Compensator

Spongebob
    Free Member

I want a Santacruz Heckler!! Does that make me a bike frame tart?

daveh
    Free Member

now back to vanillas and light kit as Pikes have gone onto hardtail to burly that up for a bit, rides good light too

Great minds think a like. Lightened up my Heckler and burlied up my Rocky Ridge over the winter by, amoungst other things, swapping my Pikes onto the RR and Vanillas onto the Heckler!

DezB
    Free Member

575s are flexy barges. Arf.

I’ve got a mate’s Heckler in my garage at the mo. It’s a lovely bike, better than the new Hecklers cos it doesn’t rub your calves.

shteve
    Free Member

i bought this frame from someone in STW a while back and i absolutely love it. No idea what year the frame is though 😳

benjag
    Free Member

Here’s mine, fairly heavy beast but it goes up down and all around. Pikes up front are well matched to the rear

rich-6
    Free Member

I love mine, Another with pikes front end feels a bit low, so i’m hoping a higher rise stem will help, Other than that its great

cynic-al
    Free Member

Had mine for 3 years, sold it, regret that.

Got a BNIB spare hanger if anyone needs one…

Gooner
    Free Member

This is mine;

I have had from new since 2005 and rebuilt it last year
    even though it is built as a freeride bike it is awesome on my local trails, trail centres and for my trips to the alps

not sure where you are james (I am in Leeds)but you are more than welcome to try it out

erny
    Free Member

Cynic-al i’ll take spare hanger please,email in profile

snotrag

The better be good, as I’ve just bought one!

Which, incidentally, will be bought up much like that one up up there.

Can’t wait.

What size is that Gooner?

Gooner
    Free Member

it’s medium
    i decided to “refurb/upgrade” it rather than buy the new frame

erny
    Free Member

Love mine rp23 with bolt through revs,xt and hope m4s,great for lakes peaks wales and alps

snotrag

What shock stroke are you running, and what travel does that give? 50mm is the stock stroke yes, running about 130mm of travel?

Gooner
    Free Member

i am running Lyriks – 160mm with 2.75″ stroke shock

Mike59

Old Heckler :

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Old Hecklers – any good?’ is closed to new replies.