Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Old Garmins
  • mooman
    Free Member

I been tempted to get a new bike GPS. My current one is a garmin 800 I bought at the end of 2010 when they were first released, and even though the rubber seals are all lose; which means I got to give it a squirt or two of wd40 into the charge port after a wet ride .. it still refuses to die, and performs perfectly; holding the charge as good as when it was new.

It was my first garmin, so cant compare it to another – except that it seems to have outlived lots of my friends gps devices .. in fact, lots of people seemed to have the 800 when I first got mine; but I cant remember seeing anyone using one for a couple years now.

Has anyone else got a similarly old working garmin? or older??

piesoup
    Free Member

I have a 705 I found at Dusk til Dawn in 2012. It was battered, no wonder no-one came to collect it! Still going strong, as long as it’s plugged into the dynamo when it’s cold.

fossy

Garmin 705 and a 200. The 705 is years old and works fine – swapped the battery out a year or two ago. Great for the filth as it’s not touchscreen. Everything works, no missing parts.

stumpy01

Hmmm. I’ve got an Edge500 from roughly around 2010.

It’s had a microswitch replaced & the rubber button covers have broken through in one place – solved with some electrical tape, but it still ‘works’.

It functions, but the software is cak so stuff like the breadcrumb trail doesn’t actually work, with the map randomly appearing & disappearing.
    The battery indicator is permanently set to 100% for some reason & sometimes when you turn it on it says ‘working….’ for ages, other times it doesn’t.

I’ve replaced it with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt & aside from a few minor niggles, it is bloody great.

schmiken

I still use an Edge 800, and have a 500 which has sadly died and isn’t worth enough to refurb.

mooman
    Free Member

I thought mine was unique in that its lasted so long – I guess thats a plus for garmin longevity .

With my birthday coming up next week; I was contemplating getting a replacement … but now I think its a mission to see how long the 800 can carry on working for.

fossy

800’s and 500’s are positively new compared to my 705.

scotroutes

Also still using a 705 for road duties (Oregon 600 for off-road and other activities).

I thought this was going to be a thread about older GPS devices being hit by the date rollover issue.

verses

I’m still using an Edge 500 I bought in 2012. It’s looking a little battered but works perfectly well.

njee20
    Free Member

I sold my 705 to a friend, AFAIK it still lives on, it’ll be 10 years old now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d still be using my 810 if I didn’t leave it in the lounge at Canberra Airport 🙁

Miss the touch screen now I have a 520

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Old Garmins’ is closed to new replies.