Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Old DX spds bearing help
  • acanno
    Free Member

Does anybody know how to change the bearings in the old DX spds the red ones. there about 10yrs old.

A few years ago I did see a link in one of the magazines but can’t find it again

Any points how to get the outer cage off would be appreciated

andym
    Free Member

Don’t know about the really old red DX pedals but for most Shimano pedals you need a special tool (doesn’t cost much).

acanno
    Free Member

cheers,
    I’ll try and find out about the tool and see if it looks like it will fit anywhere

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whyter

Warning: before you disassemble, be aware that it can be a real bugger to get the springs right when you re-assemble so that the popup binding works.

Undo the bolts on the black bits at the ends of the cage, and the wee screw on the crank end. The red bits then pull off. The underlying SPD is just like an old PD-M535 (I think…). Pull off the plastic end-cap. You can use a socket and something very thin (like a screwdriver) to undo the axle bolts to get to the bearings. The bearings are tiny. It’s a fiddly process!

acanno
    Free Member

Cheers
    Whyter

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dont take the bearings apart, complete sod to get them tensioned correctly again!

Biffer
    Free Member

They can be serviced reasonablt easily from what I remember but as whyter says I remember putting the spring in the wrong way round so the back of the pedal stood up rather than the front – doh !

no special tools needed – just patience………….

tandemwarriors

Did mine a few months ago. As everyone above has said, it is pretty fiddly, and if yours are anything like mine and full of crud, it’s not too easy at first to see how it all comes apart.
    The 8 allen bolts that hold the black cage are pretty soft and are loctite’d, so use a good fitting allen key or they’ll round out easily.
    Once the red end plate is off, there is a cap pressed into the end of the axle. This is where the ‘pop up’ spring locates. Clean the crud off and you’ll just see two tabs where it rebates into the end of the axle. A fine screwdriver should prise the cap off. Then you’ll get to the bearings as whyter describes. Think 11 each end IIRC, but they are tiny so beware of fridge suck.
    Just take your time and have a clean work area so you can find all the bearings when they fall out.

Good luck!
    Rob

whyter

Alternatively, you could bin your current ones and buy my re-greased pair 😉
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e368/andrewmwhyte/IMG_1552.jpg

knottie8
    Free Member

so Whyter, how much ?

whyter

£12.50 posted for them? One end plate bolt is missing (doesn’t affect them at all), otherwise working fine.

higgo
    Free Member

Whyter – I’ll have them (if nobody else has a prior claim on them ).

Email me on higgo/at/ntlworld/dot/com and I’ll PayPal the money to you (or bank tx)

knottie8
    Free Member

higgo
    if you have them and need an end plate screw , i have some.

whyter

Sold to higgo

higgo
    Free Member

Got them yesterday.
    Ta.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Old DX spds bearing help’ is closed to new replies.