Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Old / cheap mechs and 9sp???
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m doing up a Spesh Hardrock as a commuter/tourer and I have a selection if bits available for it.

Will either an old STX mech or the currently fitted Acera rear mech work with a 9sp drivetrain?

I can’t see why not…. I’d prefer the STX given the choice

Thanks in advance 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Maybe new jockey wheels? The old ones could be too wide… I might have a set of BBB ones, shall I dig’em out and post to you? Email in profile.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes. At least mine always have.

PaulD
    Free Member

Peter,

The STX should be fine, but will have the old 10T jockeys for 8-speed with bushes for bearings.
    I would fit a new pair of £10.30 BBB 9-speed 11T cartridge bearing jockeys.
    I have an old STX-RC that simply will not die, so I appreciate you wanting to keep yours too.

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

PaulD

mieszko
    Free Member

I couldn’t get older Acera (8speed) to work properly on a 9 speed drivetrain as my mate needed a quick fix before getting a new mech after his got caught in spokes. It might have been dirty cables or something else that caused it but all gears were working properly however always had a problem on one gear along the cassette and skipping up or down. So in reality it was 8 speed anyway. I know that indexing is in the shifter not the mech but I could not get it to work (deore shifter and acera 8sp, the first 8sp model).

GreenK
    Free Member

I changed my son’s Hardrock to nine speed with a cassette, shifters, cables and a chain (also stuck some Juicy 3s on as it had combo shifter-brake levers).

The Acera had to be cleaned well and lubed/greased as it was a touch “sticky” and new cables were needed to get good shifting.

We didn’t seem to get any problems. Ran it for about a year and only needed a new chain.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh thanks for the advice guys. 🙂

Hairychested – YGM in a bit! The STX has a jockey missing, so I do need new ones anyway 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

any mech 6-9 speed will work in a 9s system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Old / cheap mechs and 9sp???’ is closed to new replies.