• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by PeteW.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Old bottles of wine
  • theotherjonv

wine valuations – any recommended sites / places to get some bottles valued?

I’ve been tidying in the garage and rediscovered 9 bottles of various stuff that were supposedly good wines and that have been set aside for the special occasion that has never come. I’ve done a bit of googling for the identifiable ones (eg: a St Emilion and a Chateauneuf du Pape) but locating up to date values for specific years is proving tough.

I barely drink now so they’re probably wasted on me, but would like to identify if they are worth drinking at all, worth keeping, or worth selling. Any ideas?

lister

Send them to me and I’ll check them and let you know if they’re any good?

juanking

Depending on the insulation on your garage and how they were stored they might all be ruined now by extreme temperatures I’m afraid.

frankconway

+1 for juanking’s comment; guaranteed ways to kill wine – variable temperature, vibration, sunlight.
    Provenance and how they were stored would be key considerations for an auctioneer so probably little interest and low value.
    A practical solution would be to use them in cooking – particularly for reds – but taste first; if they’re not good enough to drink, they’re not good enough to cook with.

ctk
    Free Member

Stick them on ebay and let the market decide.

binners

devash
    Free Member

A lot of auctioneers and buyers at auction won’t touch stuff that hasn’t got any proof of correct storage. I’d drink it all yourself. You might find some of the bottles are ok.

lunge

The Vivino app might give you an idea, but as said before, how it’s being stored will be a factor.

sobriety
    Free Member

Raffle them off and give anything above the postage to mountain rescue?

frankconway

And the lucky winner gets a ‘prize’ which is undrinkable?

BigJohn

If they were lying on their sides it’s likely they’re ok. Standing up, vinegar.

wool

Knacker job I would suspect, Open and try you might be lucky.

feed

I’ve been tidying in the garage and rediscovered 9 bottles of various stuff that were supposedly good wines

You must have either the largest, or most disorganised garage ever
    A bottle of wine wouldn’t get to survive\hide for long in my shed, never mind nine of them.

been set aside for the special occasion that has never come.

Hang on, is this a cry for help, we’re here for you bro 🙂

frankconway

Storing horizontally keeps cork moist but, in isolation, does nothing for contents of bottle.

hols2
    Free Member

have been set aside for the special occasion that has never come

Hang in there, if you wait long enough, the MIL will eventually die.

PeteW

Similarly to OP, recently decided it was time for the 3 old bottles in the bottom of the cupboard to go as the hoarding tendency had been stronger than all the occasions! So far the first an ’81 Bordeaux was ok, the second a Spanish one was undrinkable, the final is a chateauneuf du pape that still needs opening.
    I don’t think they’ve really been worth the cupboard space or various moves, but have been a long standing feature of the wine rack!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Old bottles of wine’ is closed to new replies.