Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Old bike with sentimental value
  • misterbiscuit
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed lurking on this forum for years but this is my first post. I’ve seen a lot of good humoured advice given out so hopefully you can help me here.

My Father in law recently passed away after a short illness and I’m best placed to sort his garage full of bikes and spares. There’s 6 in total, knackered old rigid mtbs, a full sus, a brand new boardman hybrid and a couple of carbon road bikes.

My plan is to get them in the best condition I can, flog them and give all the money to the hospice.

There’s a Bianchi road bike that was his pride and joy and doesn’t seem right to sell. Have spoken to the mother in law and she agrees she’d like to keep it.

Don’t want to leave it rotting in the garage and other than cleaning it up and hanging on a wall, has anyone any other respectful ideas? What have people done with their old treasured bikes?

chestrockwell

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Anything old wants to be posted and sold on retrobike. They will give you honest answers about value etc.

As for the Bianchi could you loan it to someone that will ride it? You keep ownership but it gets used. Or see if a local bike shop will hang it on the wall?

timbur
    Free Member

Any local kids cycling clubs or Tri clubs? Donate it to be passed on to help encourage little ones?
    (I’m making massive assumptions on the size of the bikes :O)

misterbiscuit
    Free Member

Appreciate that Chestrockwell, thanks.

I really like the bike shop wall idea, will ask the favourite cafe too.

Retrobike is a good shout, wasn’t aware of them so thanks for that. Although now I’m in danger of adding to my collection! Saying that, this whole process has made me think about having a clearout

misterbiscuit
    Free Member

Cheers timbur, nice idea but would like some cash to donate to a specific good cause. Think they’re all 20inch / 58cm

misterbiscuit
    Free Member

There’s at least half a dozen un/barely used wheelsets and saddles too so ebay for them

breninbeener

Would he not have liked you to have it and ride it?
    If you are a similar size then it might be nice to take it on adventures.

TiRed

You don’t treasure bikes. You ride them. If it fits, ride it. Give it a cables and transmission service and enjoy it or let someone else do the same.

I wouldn’t spruce up the others too much. Clean and lube, fresh bartape if needed. The sell with a note that the proceeds are being put to good use.

ibnchris

I have repurposed my old treasured lava dome (that I did a big year long adventure on) as my turbo bike. I can fiddle with stem length and blocks etc to get it to right height and reach to be similar to my road bike. This way it gets ridden and much lower risk of it getting stolen (which would make me very sad…)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Old bike with sentimental value’ is closed to new replies.