Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Old bike, sell or rebuild for Mrs….?
  • Milese
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my old MTB to a 29er, and thought about handing down my old one to the Mrs.

I tried her on it as it is, but its too big and she bangs her vag on the top tube.

I built the bike in around 2011 from a bike I bought on ebay and rebuilt on a frame that fitted.
    17″ seat tube ‘Soul Brother’ alloy frame
    27 speed LX groupset inc discs
    26″ Mavic XC717 rims handbuilt onto LX rims by Merlin
    Raceface finishing kit
    Rock Shox Reba forks with remote lock out.

She currently rides a heavy Giant Yukon which is womens specific in size XS, which IMO is too small but she doesnt know how much nicer better bikes are. Will only ride it when we go out with the kids, but she’ll be struggling to keep up with them soon!

Should I;

A) buy a smaller frame and transfer it over, and flog her Yukon, any idea where to look for frames?
    B) sell my old bike in one piece – how much is it worth?
    C) sell my old bike in bits – again how much is it worth?

Thanks!

smudgey
    Free Member

I’d sell both old bikes and get her something decent and modern that fits her.

granny_ring

What he said

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joebristol

I don’t think you’ll get more than a few hundred quid selling both bikes together so it depends what you want to do.

Do that, then add a few hundred and get something modern but in the right size for around £500 – Vitus Nucleus / Voodoo Bantu / the Calibre equivalent etc – assuming you can get them in a small enough size.

The other alternative is pick up a retro ish kind of frame – something like a Kona Caldera in small / extra small size. Several different models of Mona from the mid 2000’s that would probably take a direct swap from your current bike. Should be cheap too as the geo is older / straight steerer / 26” wheel etc. Might only cost you circa £50 – that’s what I paid for the Caldera I had and sold on for the same money last year.

Milese
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. I think the “retroish” frame idea is best.

I dont believe that a new £500 bike is going to be any better than her yukon, and significantly heavier / lower quality than my old bike, despite the changes in fashion that have come in the last 10 years. (Noting that she is far from an enthusiast and won’t be riding anything remotely technical)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Old bike, sell or rebuild for Mrs….?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts