Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Old bike – do I upgrade it or buy a new one?
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’m old, and being old I’m stuck in my ways. My main bike for the last 10 years has been a Patriot. I like it – it fits me well and is robust enough to make up for my ham fisted riding.

It currently has an old Z150 Freeride fork on the front which makes it a bit slack for climbing and isn’t really that great when pointing down hill either. It’s also on the lardy side.

I’ve been toying with putting the old boy out to pasture but I keep coming back to the fact I quite enjoy riding the bike.

But, as I’m getting more ancient the thought of a new bike that was easier to propel up hill (and perhaps even be better down the other side) is appealling.

So do I take the cheap(er) and safe(r) option of updating the Patriot or should I plump for something new? Taking into account I’m mainly bridleway and singletrack bashing these days I don’t need anything as ‘manly’ as the Patriot really. A Five or a Stumpjumper would seem to fit (I like FS – it’s kinder to the bottom).

benslow
    Free Member

Easy – new bike everytime ….. !

🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well how much do you want to spend?? Thats what it boils down to, plus the fact there are many FS bikes that will climb much better than a Patriot.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrRSwank
    Free Member

Well I do see your point. I always used to have a new one every few years but I’m just so damn comfortable with the old Patriot.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – I’m rich* so cost isn’t a huge driver.

* – I don’t shop in Aldi.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So new bike then…

Have a look at some thing like an Anthem which will climb much much better, and I doubt you would notice much difference if at all DH.

New bikes always feel much nicer than keeping an old bike going, as you replace one bit at a time nothing ever feels quite perfect.

BigJohn

I don’t know about FS bikes, but I ride with mates who have new generation bikes which go up, down and through tight singletrack in ways you wouldn’t have thought possible a few years ago.

Cadge a ride on a Trek Remedy or the like to see how things have changed.

jonba
    Free Member

For his use would have thought a fuel ex would be more suitable than a remedy (assuming they still make them).

A modern 5″ full suss can be very light yet still very capable. I have a Stumpy and it is equally at home doing the Kielder 100 or Marathon series as it is climbing up and then flying down Lake District hill sides.

If everything on your patriot is old then a complete new bike might be the best option. Sell on the Patriot to make a bit of cash or keep it as a spare bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Have a look at some thing like an Anthem which will climb much much better, and I doubt you would notice much difference if at all DH.

I like the anthem-x, I really do, it’s great. But it’s not that good! It’s capable downhill as long as the trails not got any big rocks and you’re riding smoothly, I’d go as far as saying they might be the fastest bike arround the majority of trail centers, but it was never ‘fun’, just manicaly fast and requiring 100% concentration.

Trance/Trance-x with a slackset would put you in the same (or marginaly less) travel and similar geometry and capabilities to the patriot.

tomaso
    Free Member

Stumpjmper Evo should fit the bill. Up and down sorted and light weight (ish)

phiiiiil

I asked a similar question last November about my ageing 2004 5-spot and its ageing components. I eventually went with new bits instead of a new bike… new forks, shock, hubs and a droppy seatpost and it practically /is/ a new bike only it cost me half as much… 🙂

I still like the look of the Trek Fuel, what I was thinking about replacing it with, but my 5-spot is awesome and now has exactly the components I want rather than the compromise of what comes with a new bike (unless you splash out even more!)

Keep your Patriot; go mental on posh new bits knowing that it’s much cheaper than a whole new bike; enjoy it!

ianv
    Free Member

If you have a frame you like, and is not falling apart, keep it and upgrade. There is always going to be a risk that any new bike will not feel as good as the one you got rid of. It’s a bummer when this happens.

chakaping
    Free Member

Demo some modern 140mm bikes and see what you think.

Might give your riding a new lease of life.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Trance x job done! Comfy over Kielder 100 distance and is fun on the downs.

khani
    Free Member

New shorter travel fs and some s/h 36’s/66’s/lyrics for the patriot = funfunfun!!! 😆

br
    Free Member

Go demo some new bikes, 120-140 FS’s, that’ll make your mind up.

z1ppy

Indeedy go demo some bike and see if they inspire you.
    Again as above though, I refreshed a Gemini I had sitting in the garage unloved with some Rev’s & a slightly lighter wheelset, now it’s a joy to ride. Climbing is no longer the slog it used to be and the (blackbox) Rev’s perform brilliantly on the way down, better than the longer travel sherman’s ever did.

TBH I reckon you could get a decent 2nd hand set of fork for not a lot of cash, try them and then if you saw no improvement (or demo bikes were hugely better) flog em again for little or no loss.

Jamesy
    Free Member

I had an orange 5 which was 6 years old lovely bike was in two minds to sell it. But took a gamble and brought a cube stereo, now I’ve got it setup how i like it i don’t miss the 5 at all

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Old bike – do I upgrade it or buy a new one?’ is closed to new replies.