Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Old Ay-Ups – possible DIY upgrade
  • piemann
    Free Member

I found my old Ay-ups (the old, old 2007 model). I still love the form factor of these and they are brilliant as a headlight as they weigh very little.

What sort of LED can I upgrade them with and how hard is it for a semi-novice solderer?

sparkyrhino

You can send them back to AY-UP for an upgrade and sevice.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Didn’t Troutie upgrade a few of these with good results a while back ?

piemann
    Free Member

I did see that, but I thought I might try a DIY approach.

piemann
    Free Member

I believe he did – if he’s around, I’d be keen to hear know he did it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I looked at DIY – but went for the Ay-up +40% service. Brand new light, latest drivers and +40% on top for £35. Back within a week using UK service. Very pleased.

JoeG
    Free Member

Batteries from 2007 are probably going to be an issue, especially if you haven’t looked after them (which I infer since you just found them).

The new Ay-Up lights and batteries have a lot of improvements over your old ones.

And the cheap Chinese lights are better than ever…

trout
    Free Member

XPG leds and Regina reflectors are the weapons of choice

Photos here

AY-Upgrade

The older ones dont have a driver just a current limiting resister inside which sometimes burns out and is a sod to get at .

pedlad

Hi trout.

As you’re on.
    I sent you an email as you asked about the voltages of the faulty spiders light/battery/charger to determine what to send you for repair….also what options for upgrading my liberator. Could you let me know so I can sort it with you as want to get back riding Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Old Ay-Ups – possible DIY upgrade’ is closed to new replies.