Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Old Audi S3 to older 1.8T quattro, madness?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi all, I currently own a 2002 Audi S3 (the STW dream car 😉 ) but it has done 105,000 miles & feels as such, I like the size of the car as I love a hot hatch, but I could do with a 5 door car really as I take the kids to school & ferry them & their mates around. So given that I think the older VW group cars are much better made than the newer ones I have come up with THIS, certainly not cheap for what it is, but pretty unique givern the mileage & ownership!
    My main problem is that it doesn’t look special like the S3 (mines black) & I have spent a fourtune on mine doing all the bits that normally wear. So the question is should I trade down or spend more money doing up the S3 with new susspension?

All thoughts appreciated, even the Audi’s are for tossers ones! 😉

Cheers.

allthegear
    Free Member

Don’t ferry the kids and their mates around? /priorities

Rachel

legend
    Free Member

A dad with an S3 is cool. A dad with an old 1.8 is cheap. Hope that helps 😉

S3 + suspension refresh (inc bushes) ftw

jam-bo

Keep the S3.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

105k miles is nothing on an Audi, assuming it’s been well looked after. It’ll be barely run in.. New suspension will freshen it up nicely!

kristoff
    Free Member

Chances are it’s only the 150bhp 1.8t keep the S3 I say, a well maintained 1.8t will be good for at least 160k.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks all, Legend, you made me grin, thanks!
    Rachel, thats true, I could normally take the family wagon to ferry the kids but I much prefure driving the old S3 so I use that ❗

jam-bo

Anyway, 5 door isn’t any bigger inside if it’s still a Quattro.

alanlbikes
    Free Member

Hi interested in s3 if for sale

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

alanlbikes, the forum isn’t the place for ad’s, so I’m not going down that route but thanks anyway.

Cheers.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’d keep your current car, the Quattro is a nice great handing car but IF you have problems with the transmission it would cost you more to fix than the car is worth.

Inbred456
    Free Member

You could get a golf 2.0 Gti 5dr for that sort of money now. That’s a 12yr old car for 4.5k. Service history more important than mileage at that age. Due for a cam belt if it hasn’t had one already at that age.

renton
    Free Member

That Audi isn’t worth that money!!

jamj1974

Sold my 03 plate S3 (Brilliant Black) six-years ago now. I still miss it :-(. The Recaro seats are the most comfortable I have ever used, and driving it made me feel so good!

I would refresh your suspension rather than change the car – especially as you have replaced all the wear and tear items.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Keep the s3 great car, used to one one although sold it at 120k miles due to high cost of fuel.
    At 210 bhp it did feel a bit underpowered I bet if you re chipped it would be superb.

agent007
    Free Member

Keep your S3 – a much more special car than a boggo 1.8t Quattro. S3’s still look fresh, that 1.8 looks really dated. Spend a grand or so freshening it up and it will be a different car. Also bear in mind with the 1.8t that a 14 year old car that’s only done 35k miles and been sat around most of it’s life will almost certainly need money spent when it’s pressed into regular service.

hora
    Free Member

4.5k?

Too much and unspecial/bland.

I’d have a decent Golf V6 4motion. Not great handling but loooovely 🙂

allfankledup

I got rid of my t5-r, traded it in for a much newer v70, as there was a suspension refresh needed (the suspension refresh would have been 1500, the car was worth 2k at the time).

Worst thing I ever did* – should have kept the car with character that I knew the history of.

Keep the s3 – more fun

*with hindsight I’ve made loads of worse decisions, largely winding up with a sore head induced by Tequila

Inbred456
    Free Member

Treat it to some new bushes etc and maybe a set of boots or even a new set of decent shocks will transform it. What bhp is that year of S3 ?

faz083
    Free Member

That 1.8 looks an absolute turd. Keep the S3.

/nobrainer!!!!!!!!!!!!

jamj1974

225 PS

King-ocelot
    Free Member

£4.5k for that??? No chance and it will feel unremarkable and bland by comparison, which it is.

Sandwich

Keep the S3 (don’t chip it, a local one grenaded after such a thing the new engine was £4.5k). I still miss mine, sold to pay for a wedding.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks all, not a single vote for changing it, I guess I’ll keep the S3 then!

Cheers.

hora
    Free Member

& feels as such

I’ve said this a few times- a suspension refresh will work wonders. The car will feel tight and fresh again.

Check your shocks etc. For the mileage your car isn’t old! I wouldnt bother with tuning the engine- just the suspension, service it.

rickmeister

+1 to keep the S3.. fit a good suspension kit and polybushes. Also, check the engine mounts as if these are worn they will help the baggy feel..

Add a shortshifter and it will feel tight again…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s a bland grey car, it doesn’t even say QUATTRO on the outside from what I can see so whats the point, you at least want people to know you have the power to drive like Gene Hunt when your dropping the kids off at school!

jam-bo

It’s got the Quattro badge on the glove box, just appears to have been removed from the front grille and boot.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

£4.5k for that boggo 1.8T is crazily over priced. They must be mental if they think anyone will pay that – its worth half that price… The low mileage is worth very little on a 12 year old basic car.

benp1

I have a 1.8T A3 Sport, it was the 150bhp version

It wasn’t slow but it also wasn’t quick. The wheels were too big (18in RS4 alloys) so it was a bit crashy and on a hoon you’d get brake fade too quickly, but it was reliable as hell and very practical. Interior was good and seats were comfy, its nothing like an S3 though

saps
    Free Member

Leon Cupra R…same as your s3 but better looking and only available in 5 door…I am biased though 😀

jam-bo

^^^ FWD. meh.

A3 TDi Quattro Sport here. not quite an S3 but the fuel bill is a little easier to stomach…

daverallye

Definitely keep the S3, but don’t chip it, I learnt that lesson the very expensive way with my Impreza 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

4.5k? No way Jose.

Keep the S3. Tidy it a bit. Suspension kit & new bushings & box/engine mounts.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Old Audi S3 to older 1.8T quattro, madness?’ is closed to new replies.