okay – you,ve convinced me I could use wider bars………..

Home Forum Bike Forum okay – you,ve convinced me I could use wider bars………..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • okay – you,ve convinced me I could use wider bars………..
  • Premier Icon charliemort
    Subscriber

my current 685mm do indeed feel a tad narrow (got wide shoulders) – find I’m riding with palms of my hands overhanging the end of the bars

Easton Haven’s look a sensible choice but at 711mm only 26mm wider, Surprised they don’t do them around 730mm…….

Anyone noticed much difference between 711 and 685 mm? Any other good choices

thanks

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

I went from 685’s to sun line v1 in 711 flavour. Yes I definitely noticed the difference and, for me they’re plenty wide enough on my trail bike.

760mm + 65mm stem on the pitch

720mm + 90mm stem on the 456

680mm + 110mm stem on the Sanderson

There’s a pattern there and they all seem to work.

The downside is the 760mm’s wont fit through gaps in some trees! Great on 95% of trails though, there’s only one I can think of where I have to actualy stop and wriggle through.

sot some sunline V2s in 711 you can try for £15 cruz.heckler@gmail.com

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

I went from 660 to 711 Haven’s and it made a big difference. I find 711 is spot on for width as it still allows me to cycle in areas where they have those “tree” things.

If you want Havens but a bit wider I guess the obvious choice is Havocs?

711 spot on for me too

Hob Nob

If you want wider, get the Havocs and cut them down.

steve_b77

I’ve got 711mm Vice’s with a 65mm stem on my Helius and they’re great.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Get the widest possible, experiment by using lock-on’s without barends, cut to preferred length. Simple.
    Actually, just push your lock-on grips out a bit on your current bars to 711, cheapest way to try it, but just don’t go hucking 30 foot drops…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Anyone noticed much difference between 711 and 685 mm?

Yeah, 710mm is the minimum I’m comfortable riding now. Used to be 685mm on my XC bikes.

Race Face do some nice shaped 725 or 730mm wide low-rise bars.

just push your lock-on grips out a bit on your current bars to 711, cheapest way to try it

Don’t do that, there’d be nothing holding your grips on! Lock ons only stop the rotating, they dont stop the grip/lockig colar form coming apart! There’d just be a tiny little lip on the plastic sleve between you and a nasty accident!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Just added these to my CRC Wishlist:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42513

Can’t justify it at the moment!

Gotama

Agreed with above….given you don’t know what width then buy wider and cut them down. You might as well see what feels best to you and most bars have marks where to cut now so its easy to give them a trim.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

just push your lock-on grips out a bit on your current bars to 711, cheapest way to try it

Don’t do that, there’d be nothing holding your grips on! Lock ons only stop the rotating, they dont stop the grip/lockig colar form coming apart! There’d just be a tiny little lip on the plastic sleve between you and a nasty accident!

Jebus, relax dude. Its a mere 13mm each side.
    Lock-ons do stop the grips rotating, by way of clamping the bar, thus resisting coming off. Of course you don’t have two working but its just to try the width.

I’m not suggesting he do it then go down Fort Bill Dh track, just ride about a car park to get a feel.
    Ha! 😯

rondo101

I switched from 685mm 660mm (just checked online & they were shorter than I thought) to 711mm about 3 months back. Definitely noticed a difference stepping up, but haven’t gone back to the shorter bars to see how weird it does/doesn’t feel. Can’t really see any reason to do so either.

Unfortunately it means I’ve got a set of Ritchey WCS carbon bars going to waste in the spares bin.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

710 seems to be the right size for me, ended up with that or thereabouts on all my bikes now. But “wide bars” aren’t an absolute, I’m quite narrow so 710 feels pretty generous, if you’re tall and wide then it’d be the equivalent of a middle sized bar for you probably.

Got 750’s on one of mine and they feel great, with a 50mm stem.

scant

” just push your lock-on grips out a bit on your current bars to 711, cheapest way to try it

Don’t do that, there’d be nothing holding your grips on! Lock ons only stop the rotating, they dont stop the grip/lockig colar form coming apart! There’d just be a tiny little lip on the plastic sleve between you and a nasty accident! “

its not recommended. but aaron gwin did that when he first started riding with Yeti. then some1 noticed & quickly slapped some wider bars on..

I’ve got from 660-680-711-750 in the last 18 months on my trail bike and the stem has gone from 90-60mm. I’ve yet to try the 750mm but all the other changes have been for the better (especially as most of the tightest gaps in the local trails have been removed during recent ‘improvements’).

PJM1974

After years of running 660mm bars on the Enduro I fitted a set of Funn Fatboys and found that the handling was transformed. It feels just right with an 80mm zero rise stem.

My Wolf Ridge has 760mm Nukeproofs on it which can make twisty forest paths a hazard, but it certainly makes the bike feel stable. And why, why did Marin supply the thing with an 80mm stem from new? A 65mm stem has made it slightly more to my taste.

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

footflaps – that must be the ultimate in trail sanitisation, cutting handlebar spaces in trees!

I have some Race Face AM at 720mm I think which are nice bars, but still not quite wide enough for my ape arms.

711mm V1s here too.

emanuel

685 to 735,felt much better.
    then tried 750 on the ht.felt worse,wanted to cut them.then felt amazing.so get them really wide.and give it some time.and a shorter stem.there was a good pinkbike video on this.the cunningham ones on bike setup

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘okay – you,ve convinced me I could use wider bars………..’ is closed to new replies.