Ok your PM for the day. What savings would you make?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Ok your PM for the day. What savings would you make?
  • Premier Icon StefMcDef
    Subscriber

Put a stop to the empty, futile, expensive posturing of the War On Drugs.

Reclassify all drugs according to the societal harm they do – including tobacco and alcohol. Decriminalise, properly regulate the supply of and tax those which people are using anyway and are gaining access to by illegal means.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

properly regulate the supply of and tax those which people are using anyway

Thus creating a black market of drugs, which you’ll need a war on. 🙂

Hmmm

Well to start with I’d kick all of the MP’s out of their London pads and move them into 1 London tower block with security and coaches to and from Parliament.

I’d abolish voting and instead select MP’s at random from the electoral roll so that they will have a real interest in representing their constituency, and they aren’t just conniving career politicians.

I’d introduce licensing before people can have kids.

bigrich

everyone on more than 100k gets 90% tax.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’m voting for Cougar too. We need to get a campaign going…..

damo2576

Do some people really think this?!

Put a 20% tax on high fat, high salt convenience foods

like Cornish pasties and Subway Meatball Marinara sandwiches

Hope that helps 😀

wrecker

I’m voting for Cougar too. We need to get a campaign going…..

OK but only if I can have the moustache.

coffeeking

Euthanasia will be legalised, making big savings in healthcare and allowing people to check out with some dignity.

Interesting, how many people are in this situation just now and want to check out?

Not really sure that’s a cut. I like the sentiment though, not sure what effect that would have on our foods industry – they’d either change to healthy or just pack up and bugger off. Probably best either way lol.

Personally I think I’d cut the ability of the media to whip up a storm over the slightest thing even when they’re wrong. I think a lot of societies ills are not caused by but exacerbated by the media whipping up a frenzy over it. “oh god we’re going to go into recession if people panic and stop buying things because we’re going to go into recession” …. “oh god we’re in recession”…

And I think I’d cut the head off anyone who reads and takes seriously the comments by likes of the Mail.

In all seriousness

I’d change the local authority and government department budget rules, so that they were not penalised for ‘unspent budget’

anyone with experience of govt departments has seen the annual splurge of money being spent on poorly thought out and inadequatley completed projects to get it in ‘before year end’ as if its not spent, they’ll lose it and face reductions in next years budget.

in fact, I would go so far as to allow public sector employee’s to share in a proportion of any unspent departmental budget as an annual bonus, as a reward for fiscal prudence through the year.

jfletch

The issue with most of the suggestions is that it is all just pissing in the wind, just in the direction that suits the individual’s circumstances. If we want to actually change things it needs to be something radical. So this:

I’d ban all single occupancy car journeys under one mile made by able-bodied people without luggage.

And I’d make all public transport free at point of use.

And ringfence 20% of the current transport budget to provide proper cycling facilities.

And I’d scrap Trident to pay for it all (in the short term. Long term the public health savings and extra carbon credits would cover it).

And I’d tax sugar in the same way we tax fags and booze and use the money to better fund the NHS (until the public health savings kick in) and then spend a the whole lot on scientific research in the UK. Creating suatinable growth via high tech industries/manufacturing (rather than the service and finance indistires which can currently hold us to ransom but can easily be exported).

Anything left over would go to fund universal free nursery education for children under school age and increase mat/paternity leave allowances.

Only problem is that I’d never get elected with that manifesto. Democracy sucks!

Edit: Oh and I’d follow this http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/jun/20/test-policies-randomised-controlled-trials so that my changes are properly tested for efficacy.

richc

I would scrap Police pensions, and outsource all of them to the Private sector who could run the whole show without the massive amounts of waste and be fours times as effective, as its not as if the current lot do much more than beat up protestors and the disabled anymore anyway*

A private alternative would be much more cost effective.

* Some, if not all of this statement may not be true, however it doesn’t stop Z11 from posting so I thought I would join in.

as its not as if the current lot do much more than beat up protestors and the disabled anymore anyway

you post that as if I think that’s a bad thing 😉

Premier Icon StefMcDef
    Subscriber

properly regulate the supply of and tax those which people are using anyway

Thus creating a black market of drugs, which you’ll need a war on.

We already have those. 100% of the revenue from which stays in the black market.

At least with the presently regulated and taxed fags and booze the state manages to cream off some of the revenue.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Effectively crippling the entire country by forcing anyone with a highly paid job to become a tax exile. Genius.

Why not just go the whole hog and pay everyone exactly the same regardless of the the job they do. What could possibly go wrong with that? 😉

klumpy

I’d un-scrap the harriers (well, it IS all fantasy), stop any future spend on the eurofighter, put electric catapults in the new carriers and buy F18s, and make the airforce the airborne arm of the army.

I’d do the legalise drugs thing too – they’d be regulated and available (and taxed) from pharmacies whilst the expensive war on drugs stops.

And I’d tax bicycle wheels ferociously for every inch over 26.

zimbo

binners – Member
    You wouldn’t need to make any savings at all if you just made the rich, and corporations, pay the same rate of tax as us ‘little people’

No more needs to be said…

We all have wonderful ideas on how to spend other people’s money, anyone got any on how not to?

Move your bank accounts to RBS/NatWest – you’ll then find it difficult to spend any money

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Interesting, how many people are in this situation just now and want to check out?

I don’t have figures, but I expect there’s a few. I’d opt in to such a scheme personally for starters, and there’s some high profile advocates like Terry Pratchett (diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer’s).

Like this?

Only with the red lines in different places. Off the top of my head and subject to change after I’ve given it some actual thought: 20% at 12k (rather than 6), 40% at about 50k, 60% at 100k without all that blipping afterwards (what’s that all about anyway?) maybe.

Where I’m going with this is, a slight pinch at the top will pay for a massive difference at the bottom. I think.

That wasn’t exactly where I was going with that. I was thinking of relatively taxing the ingredient itself.

Eg, 10p on every gram of sugar (or derivatives thereof, HFCS etc) in a product. So a can of diet Coke is now 60p and a can of four star Coke is £1.30. Then either consumers are forced to make a choice (pay a premium for the sugar) or manufacturers are (use less sugar). Similarly with take-away food, ready meals, packaged sanwiches etc. if unhealthy but convenient food is expensive, manufacturers will have to change what they offer and / or people will have to start making food for themselves again. Or, pay the extra and get some funds in the NHS coffers to pay for heart bypass surgeries.

Premier Icon Alex
    Subscriber

Fire all politicians. Save a fortune. And if I’m El Presidenti then I’m not going to need them.
    Rent out the HoP for raves/weddings/etc.
    Implement a ‘rude tax’ to ensure Londoners pay more
    Any military action limited to a max of five working days when the MoD issues a note “Sorry Britain has to come home and have his tea so can’t stay out and play”
    Let Scotland have independence, break it off and float towards arctic. Install Sweden in its place
    Add 50% Tax all drinks that are not in The CAMRA yearbook
    Swap School Children who have won a gold star in class with FTSE 100 chief execs. Can do any worse, and pay them only in sweets

I’ve got loads more ideas like this. It’s amazing that – so far – no one has asked me for some kind of Policy Consultancy. Can only be a matter of time.

wrecker

Similarly with take-away food, ready meals, packaged sanwiches etc.

Restaurants too? only fair really.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Let Scotland have independence, break it off and float towards arctic. Install Sweden in its place

Genius.

You can be my Deputy PM.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Restaurants too? only fair really.

I was wondering about that. I think so theoretically, yes. Difficult to police accurately with “home-made” food though, and a headache for chefs who are cooking to taste. “How much oil is in that?” – “oh, a couple of lugs.”

Franchise places like McD’s with set menus nationwide are simpler. They’ll either have to increase their prices or make healthier food, I’d be happy either way.

chewkw

1. Cut or get rid of all social welfare benefits except for those with medical conditions.
    2. Cut or get rid of all unemployment benefits and all benefits except for those with medical conditions.
    3. Get rid of Human Rights shite because I have more rights than you maggots!
    4. Cull the population by brining back hanging for the condemn … hang, drawn and quartered would be better but then most people can a bit squeamish at seeing raw meat.
    5. Use the prisoners as slave labour … yes, hard labour and yes, they have no rights.
    6. Prisoners body part should be recycled as a way to compensate the society.
    7. No income tax until you earn £50K per annum and that should be 30% to start with.
    7.1. Only the Queen/King and the future Queen/King gets pay while the rest of the royals can work like anyone else.

grum

**shudder**

zimbo

chewkw – Member
    1. Cut or get rid of all social welfare benefits except for those with medical conditions.
    2. Cut or get rid of all unemployment benefits and all benefits except for those with medical conditions.
    3. Get rid of Human Rights shite because I have more rights than you maggots!
    4. Cull the population by brining back hanging for the condemn … hang, drawn and quartered would be better but then most people can a bit squeamish at seeing raw meat.
    5. Use the prisoners as slave labour … yes, hard labour and yes, they have no rights.
    6. Prisoners body part should be recycled as a way to compensate the society.
    7. No income tax until you earn £50K per annum and that should be 30% to start with.

Ohhh…you big softy…

Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

So does anyone on here actually want the UK to maintain a permanent nuclear deterrent?

I realise that we’re all a bunch of bleeding heart liberals and that BAE systems has some serious lobbying power but i’m yet to meet anyone that’s in favour of the bloody thing!

How many jobs are in the supply chain? noe enough to justify £25Bn (and thats the estimated cost before the usual climbs in price)

chewkw

scaled – Member

So does anyone on here actually want the UK to maintain a permanent nuclear deterrent?

Hello. Of course … it’s the only time you can use one for mass culling at given opportunity…

scuzz

Nah. Everyone’s got those now. I’d prefer spacebourne high energy weapons. Much cleaner.

We need to pay teachers more, invest heavily in STEM subjects, have leading scientists develop new metrics (in multiple teams, competing against each other to find the best) by which we measure performance, thereby getting rid of all middle-managers who do not understand the work of those they manage (especially in the education sector).
    Universities are run in tandem by academics and MBAs, with no party having complete control.
    Churn out thousands of top-quality engineers. Subsidise the development of spacebourne high-energy weapons.

Rule the world from my bunker.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

That reminds me,

Personal Internet access would only be granted after successfully completing an intelligence test.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I don’t see the point of having nukes unless we use them from time to time! Bit of a muscle-flexy show of strength type of thing. Not that often necessarily. Just maybe every ten years or so, when someone who’s a bit unsavoury starts getting a bit uppity. If we’d have just flattened Iraq instead of invading it, there’s no way I’m-a-dinner-jacket would be being so bloody cocky, is there?

Flaperon

* Scrap HS2.
    * Scrap the carriers.
    * Scrap Trident replacement* – publicly fund Rolls Royce engine development instead; take cut of profits.
    * Keep all pensioner allowances, but give each allowance a taxable value. Over the basic threshold – they pay tax on the benefit.
    * Actually, do the same for child benefit etc.
    * Change some benefits to discounted voucher schemes that don’t work on cigarettes / booze etc.
    * Public representatives get a veto on significant spending.
    * Public sector pay / benefits / pensions to be brought in line with the private sector.
    * Enforce housing benefit cap. Sorry, but it has to be done. What’s actually happening is that vast amounts of public money are going to subsidise massively inflated rent charged by private landlords.
    * Quadruple the amount of money going to HMRC tax evasion / fraud office.
    * Simplify tax rules at the same time – it must be possible to get rid of the lower tax bracket and lift millions of people out of paying tax if the well off pay their fair share.
    * Pull out of Afghanistan.
    * Cut foreign spending or give directly to reputable charities; not the governments. FFS, a few years ago we paid for India’s space program.
    * Increase fuel duty and road tax to pay for capacity improvements and ticket price cuts to rail networks. HS2 is not a capacity increase, it’s a shining turd.
    * Tax sales of incandescent light bulbs at £5 each. Money goes directly towards subsidising LED replacements.

vorlich

I would ‘save’ the nation from the incessant whining and attention whoring of Louise Mensch, by directing MI5 to slot her.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Off the top of my head and subject to change after I’ve given it some actual thought: 20% at 12k (rather than 6)

But keep the personal allowance? That would mean someone paying 20% tax on 12k, with this years allowance of £7,475 – would only pay £905 per year (7%). Which is the current situation I think.

And you’ve pushed the 40% rate up to £50k (it currently starts at £35k).

Somehow I don’t think this is going to save money 😀

bigrich

Effectively crippling the entire country by forcing anyone with a highly paid job to become a tax exile. Genius.

how can it cripple the country, when less than 1% earn that? food, housing, transport, bikes are all priced for the majority. any more is greed.
    and apparently, non of them pay tax anyway.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

how can it cripple the country, when less than 1% earn that?

Going by the slightly old figures at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_in_the_United_Kingdom#High_income

Top 1% = 421,000 people, most of whom will be executives, CEOs, business owners, entrepreneurs etc – the kind of people that are required to create jobs!

The IFS say the average income tax paid in that group is £49,477 (as of 2008) – so IF they did all decide to bugger off then we’d roughly £49,477 x 421,000 = £20,829,817,000 worse off. 😯

That sounds fairly crippling to me.

hora

I would extend my one day to life. No elections and also pass legislation that I would also be head of the Armed forces and designated a religion for everyone to follow.

GaryLake

Like any normal person, check my ‘pay packet’ properly each month… Better to worry about making savings once you know you’re actually being paid properly.

wrecker

Stupid question time;
    Could we become a tax haven? Lure wealthy foreigners in and charge them a punitive (to them) amount of tax which adds up to a lot for us?
    Take the millionaires from Monaco etc?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Ok your PM for the day. What savings would you make?’ is closed to new replies.