Ok who's for leaving? – an emigration question

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 193 total)
  • Ok who's for leaving? – an emigration question
  • MSP

On the other hand I did emigrate to get away, my life was better, but that may now come crashing down.

coconut

Interesting that one of coconut’s posts has disappeared from this thread

Just logged in this morning to view this tread. I assure you I did not delete this thread. I can only guess my reply was deleted by moderators ? Very suprised this was deleted as there was no threats or swearing. I did call “thatscold”, “low IQ” but his reply in calling us “spinless cretins” clearly was.

I gave a definition of “democrary” according to the Cambridge dictionary.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Indeed coconut, I can vouch for you on that and I added to it and Alpin complimented you in it.

agent007

The irony of offering a lift to the airport to the sort of people who could help the UK is good, the **** off you lost mentality is exactly why people are thinking of leaving, exactly why people are angry. Remember all those amazing things you were promised? What are you doing to deliver them?

Hang on have a bit of patience, the dust hasn’t even settled yet – what were you expecting, for things all to be wrapped up in time for tea on Friday?

After much thought I voted remain in the end but the irony of people on here wanting to leave perhaps one of the most democratic countries in the world because they don’t like the fact it’s democratic enough to ask for its people’s opinion is quite ironic. I don’t like the result either but I think we’ll get a much better result long term, much like a marriage, if we work together constructively on this rather than just throwing our toys out of the pram at the first sign of adversity.

Also for those determined to move to Australia, lovely country yes but having worked there for a year, once you’re outside the major cosmopolitan cities I found it way, way more racist, homophobic, intolerant and inward looking than the UK. Australia isn’t in the EU, in fact it’s a big island a very long way from anywhere else and I found it quite insular compared to the UK. Apart from the severely downtrodden indigenous population there’s very little history or culture compared to Europe and I did start to miss that after a while.

coconut

My post was deleted by the moderators, just received confirmation. It was due to me questioning his intelligence. So sorry for that 🙂

mt

Agent007, just stop it with your common sense and attempts at thoughtful reconciliation. I want to wallow in self pity and not help the situation improve even if it hurts me.

zokes

perhaps one of the most democratic countries in the world

Apart from:
    1) The unelected Head of State
    2) The unelected Upper House
    3) The FPTP voting system that gave outright majority in the Lower House to a party obtaining only 33% of the vote
    4) The tolerance of absolute lies from our elected representatives on the topic of said referendum

agent007

Apart from:
    1) The unelected Head of State
    2) The unelected Upper House
    3) The FPTP voting system that gave outright majority in the Lower House to a party obtaining only 33% of the vote
    4) The tolerance of absolute lies from our elected representatives on the topic of said referendum

I didn’t say it was perfect but we’ve got it pretty damn good compared to most countries and you’re not going to fix anything by running away!

mikewsmith

and you’re not going to fix anything by running away!

As this referendum has shown, it’s a place for the self centered and the selfish, who mostly expect others to just get on with in and fix all their problems for them while getting kicked in the balls for their trouble. So I think plenty of people are quite entitled to raise 2 fingers and move on up.

munrobiker

My wife’s American, and not yet received permanent right to remain (because of the shift to the right voting in the Tories in 2011 and subsequent far-right immigration policies). If I lose my job we will have to go there, not that either of us particularly want to. But over there we’d meet the visa criteria, over here we won’t.

We were talking about going to NZ for a bit, it’s nice there and the pace of life suits us. But the long term goal was always to move to Scotland and if they vote for independence, despite being pretty against it last time, we’ll move there ASAP.

Clearly my wife is not welcome here.

mikewsmith wrote:

move on up

Doesn’t even need to be “up”, across would be fine.

Glad i’m well off out of it. Just need to apply for local citizenship now. Along with most of the other brits out here. Haven’t seen any suggesting that they’ll be going back. Many of those on contracts have come in today looking to switch to permanent as it helps with the citizenship stuff.

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

Move to Liverpool, it’s a vibrant, tolerant city. We all voted in.
    We’ll probably end up joining Scotland as they have the right idea. Obviously, as part of Scotland the weather won’t be great but you can’t have everything.

zokes

…who mostly expect others to just get on with in and fix all their problems for them while getting kicked in the balls for their trouble. So I think plenty of people are quite entitled to raise 2 fingers and move on up.

Precisely.

You broke it, Brexiteers, you fix it.

We’re thinking of moving to Scotland. Asking a few friends if they’ll sponsor us in case the border comes down. 😉

aphex_2k

Oh fug no, mass exodus to Oz to escape the racism? Muhahaha…..

No. It’s lovely here. Very welcoming.

aphex_2k

mikewsmith – Member
    I think plenty of people are quite entitled

Me too!

mikewsmith

Yep we shall send them all to WA Aphex as punishment for cheeky quote clipping 😉

Oz always looked nice, but it appears to be full of Northerners 😉

mikewsmith

Oz always looked nice, but it appears to be full of Northerners

It’s OK we have some spaces ear marked, definitely won’t bump into any northerners or many other people

aphex_2k

If anyone coming to Oz could bring some internets with them, that would be lush.

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

What is this internets you speak of?

Australia still has 80s internet?

*cancels flights*

Premier Icon batfink
    Subscriber

Teh interwebs works fine for me…. Streaming iplayer without any hassle.

Just as well because Aussie telly is total arse-drivel

Australia has got its faults – but I get to finish work early on a Friday and go surfing, so it’s got that over farnborough

MrSmith

It’s a 20 min train from there Zokes, nice and simple got to learn to love public transport out here

a friend of mine is now back in Melbourne (‘native islander’/australian) the hassle he has with train commuting makes southern trains in the SE look efficient. he would be back to London in a shot if it wasn’t for family commitments, the cost of living, racism and the attitude to cyclists out there being the other main issues.

I need to stay and help fix my country

Pigface

The two descriptions of Finland earlier are so completely different to the Finland I know, lived in and still visit every year.

The Police and papers thing? never heard of that never did it. Two interactions with the Police stand out, mate lost his wallet went to report it and was given it back by the desk Sergeant who shouted “english man called Simon; yes we have your wallet” and we had a party raided due to noise complaints. we did have 130 people in a 3 bed apartment 😳 police man walked in he was about 6ft 8 tall and just said “everyone out now” 20 minutes later he is having his photo taken with the Spanish girls. 😆

Yes there is a right wing issue as there is in Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Britain, Germany etc etc, where I lived, Joensuu was renowned for having a skinhead scene but never saw it and from all accounts the ring leaders had been jailed.

Never met a Finn who was anything but friendly is an understated Finnish way.

Did have a friend from Hong Kong spat at in Poland and in Estonia but would not write off those countries for one incident.

Finnish winters are what you make of them, the dark can unsettle some but didn’t have a problem with it.

Premier Icon DaRC_L
    Subscriber

Move to Liverpool, it’s a vibrant, tolerant city. We all voted in.
    We’ll probably end up joining Scotland as they have the right idea.

Yes the Independent Republic of Brighton as part of the EU has already been mooted.

aphex_2k

MrSmith – Member

a friend of mine is now back in Melbourne (‘native islander’/australian) the hassle he has with train commuting makes southern trains in the SE look efficient. he would be back to London in a shot if it wasn’t for family commitments, the cost of living, racism and the attitude to cyclists out there being the other main issues.

It’s not that bad…Cost of living isn’t an issue. I was skint in the UK, I’m skint (but sun tanned) here. Ho hum.

Racism… No worse than UK at the moment. Silly though, ex-pats, totally accepted. Immigrants? Back in the sea (literally).

Attitudes to cyclists…. Well, yeah. OK by and large we’re ok. They’ve actually legalised riding on the pavement here in WA to keep us away from the shouty cagers. Now pedestrians hate us (yet ride a skateboard or scooter – cool bro, aye?).

I like it.

craigxxl

If you’re going to bugger off because you didn’t win and are now confident that the UK will fail and never recovery, bye. I think I may invest in packing boxes and removal vans then capitalise on your departure.
    Can I have some numbers please, I wouldn’t want to over invest to find out that most of you are nothing more than hot air.

Pigface

Get you Craigxxl

NZCol

NZ, that progressive forward thinking culturally inclusive, green country. Or not*

* citizen, lived there for 15 years, it’s not all holiday resorts you know.

yunki

We’d have been off to NZ months ago if I could persuade my kid’s mum and her fella to follow suit..

My other half has an NZ passport and would be welcomed straight back into a job where she’d be earning 3 times what she can here, with infinitely better working conditions..
    Climate’s better, people are better, wine, beer and food’s nicer…. and I can walk around in jandals, vest and y-fronts without feeling like a bogan

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh 🙁 Anyone wanna buy a couple of hearty, well trained, good humoured kids?

thatscold

Coconut- were you making disparaging remarks about me? What a brave keyboard warrior you are.

Dark Side

Pretty rich coming from you thatscold:

thatscold – Member
    Let me know if you need a lift to the airport?

Spineless cry babies pack your bags….. Democracy has spoken.

My post was deleted by the moderators, just received confirmation. It was due to me questioning his intelligence. So sorry for that

Harsh. Mods must have voted leave.

jambalaya

My other half has an NZ passport and would be welcomed straight back into a job where she’d be earning 3 times what she can here, with infinitely better working conditions..

So she must have very strong reasons for staying which top those ?

My Kiwi friends all have British passports now, earn much more here and have no intention of going back permanently (they have second homes there as its relatively cheap vs London / European alternatives)

If you’re going to bugger off because you didn’t win…

At least you agree it’s all about me. 🙂

yunki

So she must have very strong reasons for staying which top those

yes she does

Me and my kids live here 🙂

Mr Woppit

Just had the estate agent round to get the sale moving.

Aiming to bury myself in a local-architect designed one storey-with-swimming pool in a small town in the southern Spanish mountains come September…

Although I did start arranging this well before the vote, I must say, given the generally vile language currently in use by the “Leavers”, I suspect that the country will soon become somewhere any decent human being will want to leave, anyway…

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

I have 2 colleagues moving abroad at the moment

1 is a Jr doc whos moving to Oz in a couple of weeks (u can guess why), by some miracle his sale went through last week, Hes lost a small amount on a deposit hes due but thats it

Another colleague was moving back to the USA, she hasnt finalised yet
    as of this morning shes lost $35000 dollars, she is gutted

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Ok who's for leaving? – an emigration question’ is closed to new replies.