Ok who's for leaving? – an emigration question

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 193 total)
  • Ok who's for leaving? – an emigration question
  • wrecker

All fair reasons rich.

I think this result will give the far right traction here as well.

The whole racism thing being attached to Brexit is bollocks. I am sure that some voted for less than admirable reasons, but I bet that the right stays fringe here. I cannot think of a single reason it wouldn’t. Being a bit bolder doesn’t mean they’ll be any more popular. If anything they have less to make noise about.

coconut

most of our qualifications are fake and if your at the top of your game it isn’t hard to weed these out.

Confused by that ? please explain ? Is it the industry you work in.

Racism & xenophobia is present in, I expect, all nations. Farage and Brexit has just made it more acceptable in this crap hole of a country. I’m out as soon as possible.

hammerite

We were planning to leave the country in a couple of years anyway to go to Austria once Jnr has finished compulsory education. But it wasn’t that we didn’t like this place, just a lifestyle choice of trying to do more of the things we like doing more of the time.

We still want to go somewhere different, it’s just we might have to re-evaluate where.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

The whole racism thing being attached to Brexit is bollocks.

Anti-immigration sentiment is certainly one of the chief reasons Leave won.

What did you think of this poster?

The pic was taken in the Balkans or somewhere like that IIRC.

wrecker

Anti-immigration sentiment is certainly one of the chief reasons Leave won.

I don’t really want to open the pandoras box of the difference between anti-immigration and racism. I think it goes beyond “we don’t like foreigners”. I am not anti immigration BTW, however I recognise that other people have different views and experiences than I have. We have at least one good example of this on this very site.

Premier Icon ravingdave
    Subscriber

Came soooo close to moving to Canada a few years ago. Only bereavements in my wife’s family stopped us. So wish we had gone now. This place is going to the dogs.

After Brexit Mrs raving dave said maybe it’s time to plan our own Brexit! Looks like Canada may be back on.

I want my kiddies to grow up in a pleasant tolerant inclusive society. Not this dump

I’ve worked in rural Canada and in Sydney, a few years back mind. I liked it but I’d rather live and work here. But…

What has happened here is a shocker to many of us. The key determinants of how people voted were age, education and location. The idea that there is one Britain with a generally similar view is gone for ever. Probably it was a myth. Probably it is a deserved kicking. But the triumph of some opportunistic manipulative liars, aided by press owned by some rather biased individuals really hurts and sucks.

I feel way more in common with lots of people in France Spain Italy and Germany now than I do with what appears to be the majority of my own country. But I’m too old to move. But I really understand why people would.

TiRed

South San Francisco is looking very attractive when teen2 finishes his A levels. We will be well underway to finishing Article 50. International movement is not hard in my line of work.

I moved to NZ from Manc a couple of months ago, nothing to do with potential Brexit, although it saddens me that we’ve voted to leave the EU. So far so good, think I’ll stay a while.

km79

The idea that there is one Britain with a generally similar view is gone for ever. Probably it was a myth.

This is true for all countries I believe. My theory is that people who would move away from here in search of a more tolerable place will go to that place and actively look for the tolerance. There will still be examples of intolerance around them, but they are not looking for that so might not see it.

You can do similar whilst remaining here. Surround yourself with like minded people, focus on he good bits, cut out your exposure to the bad bits as much as you can.

mrmo

I was born in the England and have lived my whole life in England, but i have never regarded myself as English, being half Irish and experiencing the barely hidden side of the English what has happened doesn’t shock me in the slightest. It has always been easier to see myself as British.

As for what next? **** knows, apply for an Irish Passport as a fall back position and see what happens i guess. I have a job for now, but if that changes then what is the point hanging around?

The whole referendum campaign has enabled a significant proportion of the country to express views that wouldn’t have been otherwise.

I know some voted for Brexit for good reasons, the EU does have issues, but the leave campaign was never about that, it was about immigration, about them!

As for what happens next to the UK, decisions need to be made NOW, and the UK is going to get shafted. There is no one to negotiate a trade deal for a starter!

thatscold

Let me know if you need a lift to the airport?

Spineless cry babies pack your bags….. Democracy has spoken.

if the people who voted remain left, I suspect those who voted leave would be left with very few teachers, nurses, Drs etc etc. And also with less money and fewer jobs…

Democracy is going to prove to them that they should think a bit before leaping into the dark. Not vote based on hate and emotion.

noltae

Cultural Marxism always aims to deconstruct the family – no wonder so many useful idiots have no qualms relocating far away from loved ones – Government is their next of kin ..

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

And further I think, a parliamentary democracy is one where the elected representatives hold the power not people who voted in a non-binding, advisory referendum. Perhaps the government will push the A50 button, perhaps they won’t. Their choice.

Now stop greeting on about democracy thatscold – you’ll be telling everyone you know your rights next.

alpin

Nicely put, coconut….

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Might have my hand forced.

I expect my company to relocate our UK operations to Antwerp or Madrid.

I work in a niche job. There is no other company doing what we do in Scotland. To find a job doing what I’d do I’d have to move to Dublin or Brighton where our two competitors are nearby.

If I don’t then ill need to change careers and probably accept a significant pay cut of around 50% πŸ™

Why should I help the leavers (those who are quitting on Europe and Britain’s place within Europe)?

They’ve hurt my children’s future

Really? You’re having a laugh.

Youth unemployment in GB 13.4%
    in France 24.6%
    in Spain 45.3%
    in Euro zone 21.6%
    in Italy 39.1%

steveirwin

Adios losers! Yeah you’re all losers as you were on the losing side of the referendum and you’re thinking of pussying out with your pessimistic attitudes off to foreign lands with your “skills”. Hopefully you’ll see your second homes depreciate in value, sell them off consequently freeing up houses at more realistic prices to those that couldn’t afford them before i.e. younger generations. Don’t shut the door behind you I’ll gladly do it for you. πŸ˜†

corroded

If the best and the brightest depart Britain, good luck with the future!

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

For a different viewpoint, myself and my partner are considering heading back next year. Currently in Australia and she is Australian. I’m not at all happy with the result but the uk still has a huge amount to offer. And to be honest even if the leavers get 100% what they want might still be easier to get in and out than Australia! We both love it here but oz is not the paradise some people seem to think. It’s a very different country to live in than Britain. Some of the states are facing some serious unemployment issues with the slow down in the resources industry. Property in the big cities is bordering or bonkers ( Sydney I’m looking at you here) and racism is as much an issue here as it is in the uk.
    Admittedly if I could persuade here to move to Tasmania we might stay.

Might have my hand forced.

I expect my company to relocate our UK operations to Antwerp or Madrid.

I work in a niche job. There is no other company doing what we do in Scotland. To find a job doing what I’d do I’d have to move to Dublin or Brighton where our two competitors are nearby.

If I don’t then ill need to change careers and probably accept a significant pay cut of around 50%

So your vote was based on personal well being, rather than the future of our nation/your children/a baby robins face?

Dry your eyes sunshine!

steveirwin

Some people here sound so pathetic. It’s like all these mid-life crisis threads that are so common in this forum.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

So your vote was based on personal well being, rather than the future of our nation/your children/a baby robins face?

Dry your eyes sunshine!

No it wasn’t. It was based on being a sane, rational and intelligent person.

zokes

some people on here sound so pathetic.

I agree. Seeing a bunch of morons with no plan crowing that they won when they’ve just caused more damage than their puny minds are able to comprehend is quite sad to see.

mikewsmith

The irony of offering a lift to the airport to the sort of people who could help the UK is good, the **** off you lost mentality is exactly why people are thinking of leaving, exactly why people are angry. Remember all those amazing things you were promised? What are you doing to deliver them?

Sat here in Tasmania, it’s not perfect but at least I have a good list of places not to move to in the UK now. If you scored over 60% you are out.

The smart and hard working people will be able to follow the work and the jobs, be that in the UK, Aus, US NZ or in a few years Poland. The ones who can’t be arsed to do anything will sit and complain about immigrants taking the job they won’t move down the road for.

Subscriber

Mike has a point, our target list of UK cities to move to has been narrowed down! Luckily bristol voted stay, you lovely west country people.

mikewsmith

Short term come down to Hobart WildHunter, just finished our winter arts festival/party another bit coming up, the trails are riding sweet and despite being cold I have a great view out over the river down the coast.
    100min flights to Sydney
    70min to Melb and daily to Brisbane
    I can probably commute to Sydney CBD faster than some locals

zokes

I can probably commute to Sydney CBD faster than some locals

Well, you can probably get to Kingsford Smith quicker than some of its locals, but good luck from there πŸ˜‰

mikewsmith

It’s a 20 min train from there Zokes, nice and simple got to learn to love public transport out here, might even bring the bike when I get back to Adelaide

Premier Icon batfink
    Subscriber

*waves from Sydney CBD*

Watching this whole shemozzle from afar, the only consolation is that the wife and I (plus the as-yet unarrived mini-batfink) will always have Australia as a bolt-hole.

We were about to start the countdown to moving back to the UK once the baby arrives…. but I think we’ll just wait and see how things pan-out. One of the draws for moving back to the UK was the strong pharma-research market there. If the senior jobs move out of the UK, we’ll probably choose to stay over here while longer.

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Currently no plans to return to the UK but it will be interesting to see how this plays out from afar over the next few months but due to the globalized nature of our environment, and the fact I still own property in the UK, I’m sure repercussions will be felt out here in Asia.
    I’m sure in the long term realpolitik will come into play and through various shenanigans nothing will come of this vote.

Also, maybe people can stop complaining about voter apathy from now on as a lot of people seem upset when the electorate actually does get off their asses and votes!

Subscriber

Mike, my missus is a born and bred Western Australian. I’m pretty sure she thinks Tasmania is a mixture of Deliverance and the North in Game of Thrones. We shall see though! That Dark Mofo festival looks incredible!

mikewsmith

lol sales pitch time

No idea where she gets that idea from
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JnqSPv]IMG_6192.jpg[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JbLc3U]Mmmm[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JexBeg]IMG_5903[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/J5F2es]IMG_5784[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [video]http://youtu.be/wmvEY-3Xcbg[/video]

zokes

It’s a 20 min train from there Zokes, nice and simple got to learn to love public transport out here

Oh yeah, forgot about that – I’m usually stuck in a taxi to somewhere trains don’t easily go.

, might even bring the bike when I get back to Adelaide

You’d be more than welcome to borrow one of mine πŸ™‚

but I think we’ll just wait and see how things pan-out.

I’m back in the UK for sabbatical for 4.5 months soon – happy to give a running report πŸ™‚ I’m suspecting this is what I’ve finally needed to get MrsZ to realise just how lucky we are being able to call Oz home.

mikewsmith

get plenty of luggage so I just bring it normally, wanted to be back for the Gravity Enduro national but work wasn’t lining up πŸ™ should be over at some point with some hospital stuff πŸ˜†

It’s certainly put my plans to return on hold, I would only be going back to something very secure at this point.

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Interesting that one of coconut’s posts has disappeared from this thread

NZCol

Ah the normal ‘let’s emigrate as all these countries must be better’ thread, my fave. Don’t emigrate to get away as you will be sorely disappointed , the streets are not paved with gold but you might have a different experience from home and maybe learn something.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘Ok who's for leaving? – an emigration question’ is closed to new replies.