Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Ok, who was it crashed their Merc into a train today on way to play golf?!
  • Poopscoop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46249122

Got to be a forumite.

German car. Check

On way to play golf. Check

Was in such a hurry and so important that they managed to prang a steam train going 8mph…. Check!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

HaHa, Mint!

aP
    Free Member

Hairdressers car, innit?

Davesport

Usual excuses to follow.

Blinded by the sun.

Nothing reflective on the train.

Train painted a dark colour.

No lights on train.

Didn’t see you mate.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Thats a nasty shunt, maybe the driver had sunk a few ‘coal’ d ones before getting behind the wheel.

mikey74
    Free Member

That driver has certainly gone off the rails.

epicyclo

Now the Merc driver knows what the expression “in a steaming hurry” means.

How the hell could he not miss a bloody great train travelling at 8mph. How many dead cyclists and baby robins lie in his wake?

Should lose his licence forever on account of his vision problems.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Incorrect title OP.

It was the train that hit the car according to the local press……………..#stands back#

project
    Free Member

Thomas the Tank Engine fights back.

whitestone
    Free Member

Presumably the crossing lights were red. If so the car was in the wrong, if not then there’s something wrong with the crossing.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Presumably the crossing lights were red. If so the car was in the wrong, if not then there’s something wrong with the crossing.

If only there was a convenient link to a news article with written words that could solve that mystery.

funkmasterp

Even if the lights weren’t red how in the hell would you not see a massive train travelling at eight miles per hour?

njee20
    Free Member

If only there was a convenient link to a news article with written words that could solve that mystery.

An amusing observation, but the article doesn’t say anything.

kayak23

Those trains don’t even pay road tax!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

An amusing observation, but the article doesn’t say anything.

” General manager Andrew Munden said the Sweet Briar Lane crossing’s lights and sirens were sounding at the time.”

jonba
    Free Member

Did the car have its lights on?

RustyNissanPrairie

A local farmer died in a similar accident some years ago near to us on the ELR heritage linr

https://www.rossendalefreepress.co.uk/news/local-news/horror-train-crash-relived-daughter-1712397.amp

and I’ve seen it first hand in Morocco just north of Casablanca a goods train track crosses over a major road, pretty much without fail every time a train crossed at walking pace a locals car would end getting squashed or pushed out of the way.

wordnumb
    Free Member

the train emerged the victor

Looks more like Edward to me.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Out of interest, was the train going backwards?

dudeofdoom

Your right that cars positioned oddly.

sbob
    Free Member

Usual excuses to follow.

Blinded by the sun.

Nothing reflective on the train.

Train painted a dark colour.

No lights on train.

Didn’t see you mate.

I bet the train wasn’t even wearing a helmet!

sbob
    Free Member

Without knowing the value of the train’s house it is simply impossible to apportion blame, Lazy journalism.

malgrey
    Free Member

Impressive numptiness,

Assuming the car hadn’t broken down, maybe the driver glanced at the train and saw the back of it, assumed it had passed through, and was in too much of “hurry” to obey the flipping obvious flashing lights and sirens. After all, golf is such a time critical game. Then it turned out the train was reversing to hook up with carriages…

Or he just tried to jump the lights.

Either way, numpty* of the highest order.

*polite version of what he/she actually is.

Flaperon

Don’t look at me. I chose to crash my car into one of the concrete bollards between petrol pumps instead of a train.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m fairness to the driver, golf club starters can be absolute sticklers for punctuality when it comes to teeing off for the weekend medal.

trumpton
    Free Member

What a numpty. How can he miss seeing that. Hit the accelerator instead of the brake?

northernsoul

Mercedes Bent 🙄

globalti
    Free Member

This where I confess that I almost killed myself and my agent on a level crossing in rural Hungary. She was a terrifyingly incompetent driver (see many East European car crash videos) so I used to drive while she yakked on the phone. Late one day we were heading back to Budapest, tired, and I was following another car on a road that ran parallel to a railway. She had worn herself out talking and was asleep. Suddenly the road dog-legged across the line and continued as before; I followed the car in front and as I crossed the rails I saw the buffers of a locomotive in the corner of my eye as it flashed past the back bumper. I never told my agent, who slept on blissfully.

mariner
    Free Member

On his mobile?

CountZero

Certainly looks like the loco was running backwards, which makes sense when the news item states it was on its way to pick up a dining car/carriage, but as the lights were on and warning siren sounding, the car driver is bloody lucky he got away with only the front ripped off the car. Muppet!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Ok, who was it crashed their Merc into a train today on way to play golf?!’ is closed to new replies.