Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • OK who has been sent home from work and are not happy about it?
  • postierich
    Free Member

Yep went in this morning to find the whole office sat on their arses because the Severe Weather Tool has been used  and its deemed unsafe. So Posties  go out delivering on foot in the town centre and thats it!!!! whilst we are passed by all the other courier companies driving vans as normal. Thing is tomorrow with a huge workload we will go out on compacted ice is bloody safer today to deliver than tomorrow. I apologise any Staveley residents on here

weeksy

Why would i be unhappy if i were sent home ? I’m going in about 30 mins… as always, i’ll be ecstatic 🙂

Splash-man
    Free Member

The palm tree outside my office in fluttering gently in the breeze with the sun reflecting off the leaves.

Damn, when will the snow hit Hampshire so I can send my staff home ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

we have floods here …. i had a treacherous walk across the yard this morning from my accommodation block.

Most of our  engineers didnt make it in till lunch (on the company bus)

GrahamS

Didn’t even bother going in. Working from home today (after an hour sledging with the kids of course).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Couldn’t make it into work on an office-bound job last time this happened in the Southeast in 2009 and I was still living in England.

Manager told me to stay at home and keep warm.

Went for a terrific snowy hill walk around Norbury Park, Mickleham and Box Hill including a pub lunch.

Happy days.

theotherjonv

In today (Farnham); although roads were a little icy first thing it’s quite nice now, and looks like plenty of people didn’t go to work as roads were relatively traffic free.

But we’re supposed to get it properly tonight / tomorrow / Friday so will be taking stuff home with me and not doing anything daft tomorrow if it is bad, and have instructed my staff to do the same.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I can’t get the **** northern subby lift engineers to **** off so I’m still stuck on site. However the bike is in the van so if I get stuck it’ll be pedals time…

Kahurangi

postierich – was the weather so bad you would you have had to put trousers on??

And get yourself some yaktrax for walking on the compacted snow/ice. I have a spare set I could post you. Oh wait….

thepurist

We’ve just been told to work from home tomorrow (just south of Reading) so you can guarantee a snow free day in that part of the world.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which Staveley?

jimmy

Been sent home = good (skis out when home) .

Bus crawling at 1mph = bad.

Should have mtb’d.

oldtennisshoes

‘working’ from home today but tempted to go and meet Mrs OTS off the train on my fatbike.

Mmmmm

dawson

@Onzadog – Postierich is in the Lake District, so not the chesterfield Staveley that you are thinking of

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

The only reason i would be unhappy about being sent home would be if it meant i wasn’t being paid. A salaried job means this is unlikely.

So no, I managed to make it into London today from surrey suburbia and will no doubt make it home again this evening about 15 minutes later than usual.

Alex

I’ve sent myself home and I’m very happy about it 🙂  I left Glasgow last night, and was in Durham the day before. So both times just kept ahead of the snow. I’m due somewhere else tomorrow but that just got canned so it’s three days at home for me. First time in about six weeks I’ve not been travelling or away most days.

I may organise an off-site meeting with my fellow director. Which means Wifey and I going to the nearest pub with a log fire and a proper pie menu 🙂

jekkyl

The managers have all gone into a meeting and I reckon they’ll come out saying you can go home if you like, holiday, flexi or work the hours back. There’s no way they’ll let us off with the hours. Crossing fingers though.

legend
    Free Member

Very happy that my flight home last night wasn’t delayed any further, or I would be stuck in Stansted around now.

OTOH, its now snowing enough that the idea of cracking out the CX bike doesn’t actually look like so much fun any more

yosemitepaul

Most of our place didn’t come in. Snow too bad, roads dangerous, yada yada yada.

I’m paid to work and do a job, so went in. Was great having nobody around managed to get loads done without others under my feet.

I fortunately only work part time, so home now and going out to enjoy the snow and feel good about myself having got so much done!!!

mattbee

Mate has just been lifted off the rig he was on in the North Sea as it was frozen solid.

My guys haven’t been in all week. Just too cold to be out on a rope at 150m attempting to apply render & then paint.

I’ve kicked the arse out of any office work I can do but have sacked it for the day now to take the dog to the pub.

fasthaggis

All the slackers went at lunchtime. Pfft.

Snowmageddon my RRRs

mahalo

its glorious in Farnborough but everyone is saying they’re not coming in tomorrow… my dilemma is that i need to drive home to the north west, so do i leave tonight and assume tomorrow is a snow day or wait and see, then potentially have a treacherous journey back…

theotherjonv

Is the answer that Boris went home early and the grown ups aren’t happy about it?

theotherjonv

my dilemma is that i need to drive home to the north west, so do i leave tonight and assume tomorrow is a snow day

what do you need to be in the NW for, and would you sack it off and stay down until the weekend if it turns out to be ‘impossible’ to travel tomorrow or would you be compelled to risk travelling anyway?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Signage of the week: just spotted on the BBC news, illuminated sign on a main road, telling the traffic –

“AVOID ROAD TRAVEL”

mahalo

what do you need to be in the NW for, and would you sack it off and stay down until the weekend if it turns out to be ‘impossible’ to travel tomorrow or would you be compelled to risk travelling anyway?

NW is home. Much rather be up there the extra day than stuck down here!!

theotherjonv

‘much rather’ isn’t the same as must though. I know what you mean, it’s a PITA but it’s also a balance of risk thing. If your wife was in imminent labour, you’d probably drive anyway, or more sensibly go home now in case.  But if it’s the choice between possibly being stuck in the south until Saturday and what could be a risky drive ‘just’ so you can be where you’d prefer to be – possibly not worth it.

Sounds to me like you should either go now, or accept there’s a fair to middling chance that you won’t be home until the weekend and make your choice on that.

jag61

Sent myself home after getting from wakefield to harrogate and finding harrogate subby had binned it, got home tried a ride but gave up before end of road in blizzard. possibly same again tomorrow fingers crossed…salaried and living the dream

Smudger666

Office is in the garden so the commute was snowy but short.

in a display of uncommon common sense, my wife, a nurse, has swapped Dr’s Practices tomorrow with the nurse who works where we live, and lives where the wife works.

scruff9252

Today was always going to be a WFH day – What was a pleasant suuprise was being told the VPN was maxxed out preventing front line staff in getting access to deal with emergencies. As a result we were told to “log off if you can” – well yes, I think that should be manageable…

bruneep

Just been called and advised  to leave home early for work tonight (6pm) as there is a red weather warning in place.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

We never get sent home and I have been in Royal Mail since 1980 even when back in the 1983 when there was loads of snow on the ground in Cheltenham in Gloucestershire and it was -10 at Lunchtime we had to push our bikes out to the rounds which took ages least now we all have vans the managers down here  have now got some bottle at last and call a stop to it for a few days which they never did and have done twice already this winter and in my case they don’t send me out in the Cotswold hill  towns collecting mail till it clams down still work in the town though and have never been sent home.

MrSparkle

… aaaaand breathe.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not today, but tomorrow – the forecast is so bad that my smallest Kid’s school has decided to close, it seems really odd given this is the current view from my office window!

Still, it’ll likely just be a Daddy Daughter Snow Day as they’ll send out Mountain Rescue or the Police to help my Wife get to work if needed and the High School is, for the moment, staying open.

I think we’ll do some baking, make a den and maybe fit some brake pads to my bike.

qwerty
    Free Member

Yea, I don’t get it. Wife’s been a postie since October. In the last bout of snow in Glos they decided on the morning it lay, that it wasn’t safe to deliver (fresh snow), but the day after it was deemed safe to deliver on pathways covered in compacted ice. You have to wonder if it’s more to do with reducing risk to the van than the person.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The RM snow/ice policy often loves to let posties make the call and then lay the blame hard on the postie if anything happens to them and/or their vehicle. If in doubt, make the call yourself and don’t travel anywhere that looks risky. We were told today that there was a real possibility of management not letting Southampton depots deliver tomorrow and maybe even Friday too, depending upon what happens overnight tonight… It’s already -4C, feels like -12C in Midanbury! 😮

grey

I never get sent home from work .

I’vespent all day ploughing and shoveling snow , essential works too so even though we have a red warning and no matter how bad it gets I have to try and get in 🙁 .

Our site has to stay clear because when something like this happens, it’s where it gets controlled from.

tjagain

We have to go in to work.  Policy is that up to 4 miles ( IIRC) we are expected to walk no matter the conditions and as I live locally I am on alert to be called in if others don’t make it even tho tomorrow is my day off

mattbee

Wife’s work (QA Hospital in Portsmouth) just sent a text saying they should take overnight stuff with them if on shift tomorrow & that lack of child care if schools close is not an excuse to be off…

fossy

Never sent home. Over an hour to do the last mile home then had to stop and jump out and dig a neighbour onto his drive as he was blocking the road. Other neighbour in car behind just sat there for 10 minutes whilst we ran round getting shovels and grit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘OK who has been sent home from work and are not happy about it?’ is closed to new replies.