Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • OK, what cheap NEW car.
  • tinsy
    Free Member

Following on from my Multipla clutch issues, I think I might just ditch it & buy a really cheap new car.

So far in the running is a

Fiat Panda easy so it has air & central locking at £1865 down & £104pm 4% apr

Chevolet Spark just waiting to see whats available but the gist of it is £1000 down & £99 a month at 0% oh & it has 5 years warranty that sounds good as it willl be a run to death kinda purchase.

What else needs looking at? Must be new, must be £30 year road tax or zero & 5 doors.

mogrim

See quite a lot of Dacias around here, though no personal experience.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Panda

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    I_Ache
    Free Member

What about a Kia of some sort?

Out of the two above I would go for the Panda.

Cougar

Why “must be new” out of interest? Lots more bargains to be had on the ‘nearly new’ route.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Why new? Depreciation is the single biggest running cost, much more so than the difference between the £150 a year average car road tax and £30 a year.

I was just looking at 59 plate Ford Focus 1.6 Zetecs with around 10,000 miles at for £7000-8000 at http://www.cargiant.co.uk .Reliable,great to drive,cheap to insure and service.

Barely run in and a much better car than those suggested.

tinsy
    Free Member

New due to not having any cash & getting better deals on new cars, need to be able to take the Uglipa in PX..

Oh & new cars are just nice.

Dacia looks quite the bargain, but I wonder what the base price car looks like..

edit apparently like this.

molgrips
    Free Member

Buying new is a mug’s game. Car reliability is definitely not just an age related thing. You could get a far better car buying slightly used than you ever would new.

Look at it this way. In 6 years time your cheap new car will be q cheap old car, but your 2 year old better car will be still be a better car and at 8 years old will be in similar condition. Probably better, since small cheap cars don’t age as well.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Cheap loan from Tesco will be competitive and you`ll still be saving on depreciation.

Flog the Mulitpla on ebay.

My Focus was 3 years old with 14000 miles on the clock,when I brought it.It felt like a new car.That new car smell wears off in about a month and you`ll have lost 40% in depreciuation in a year on most of those choices.

Buying new is a mug`s game same as it is with bikes. 😉

the-muffin-man

If you intend to run the car until it dies, then depreciation doesn’t really matter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

how ever the age a small cheap car dies at will be low….

better the devil you know is my opinion unless its truely ****

tinsy
    Free Member

A new focus is a nice car for sure, but to be honest they just dont float my boat, I work at Ford as a contractor so no discount.

The first Focus was a great looking car, the new Focus has that fresh look too, but the 2nd gen is just so flippin bland.

Depreciation does not matter as I am going to run it for at least 5 years, & 5 years down the line anything at the 6-8k bracket will have dropped to 1-1.5k anyhow.

I had a Seicento new once (sort of new) brought pre registered for £5400 5 years 60k on clock on I sold it for £1500 cheapest motoring I have done.

tinsy
    Free Member

Chevorlet just got back to me with a Spark + so air con etc at £118 a month & 1k down. for another 6quid a month I can have paid for 3 years servicing…. But its Pink.

better the devil you know is my opinion unless its truely ****

Yes that is true, its been a very good car, but there are other considerations, the new eco freindly car my wife will use & I get the Merc, which though pretty well beaten is still a great drive & when its not on the school run it does 38mpg on the school run with the wife it does 23mpg so kind of looking at the new motor paying for itself buy hitting at least 40mpg on school run & only 30 a year tax.

Uglipa was £350 just for MOT last year only usual stuff tyres brakes discs etc but I will get at least 2 yeasr of zero bills on a new car.

mboy
    Free Member

Buying new is a mug’s game. Car reliability is definitely not just an age related thing. You could get a far better car buying slightly used than you ever would new.

I’m 100% with you molly, but some people just will not buy new

An ex GF was chatting to me the other day, she was in a massive panic. Someone had just smashed into her that evening, potentially writing off her Fiesta. She got the Fiesta brand new 10 years ago, and it had only covered 50k miles.

I told her I’d help her look around for something similar (based on insurance payout and she was 100% not at fault), but immediately she shouted back. “Oh no, I’m not buying a 2nd hand car, it’s got to be new”. I asked where the hell she planned on getting a new car for £2k from, or where she was gonna find another £8k or so from (she’s not got any money spare), she replied that she’d just have to pay for it on finance.

Basically the gist of it is, some people just won’t drive 2nd hand cars for whatever reason! I don’t understand it, you don’t, but car manufacturers make a lot of money from it! Part of her reasoning was that 3 years free MOTing and 3 year warranty is worth paying lots extra for as it gives you peace of mind!!! CRAZY I know… Best time to buy a car if you want to keep it a number of years, and do decent milage in it, is to buy a low milage 3 year old car. It’s done more than 50% of its depreciating, but it’s still almost as good as new and will do another 7 to 10 years of good service at average or above milage no problems, before it realistically needs to be replaced.

binners

Think of it as an opportunity to make a statement. Not for you, the slavish conventions and safe options of metallic silver. No! You plough your own furrow! So assured of your masculinity that you can drive a pink car, and laugh in the face of those more cowardly slaves of convention who are scared of your individuality

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh if i had to drive a spark then it wouldnt bother me that it was pink. Id have lost all my self respect already.

* slow white van driving monkey 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

New due to not having any cash & getting better deals on new cars

Still money down the drain. Get a personal loan! You might pay more interest but you’ll loose less in depreciation…..

tinsy
    Free Member

mboy, not at all adverse to 2nd hand cars, I have only had a few new ones to be honest, but in economy motoring I prefer this route, swings and roundabouts n all that.

Binners I went into MG rover (rip) to order a black MGF with Cream leather after they told me it was a 6 month wait, I left with a Purple one, I can handle the Pink! 😉

PP that math doesnt work as I said 5 years in a car 6-8k they are all worth about the same. If you kept it a year or 2 I agree, but long term?

molgrips
    Free Member

Depreciation does not matter as I am going to run it for at least 5 years

Umm.. It does matter.. that depreciation money – you have to pay that yourself.

If you plan on running it for a long time then there’s even less point to buying new. It’ll only be new for a short while, but you’ll have its cheapness for many years.

If you want to save money then get a cheap car that’s 3 years old – it’ll cost you peanuts! If you are at all interested in economy then there’s absolutely no way you should buy new.

My dad wanted a diesel Focus, but they were too expensive. He was spending ten grand. For some reason he was insisting on a 1 year old car. No idea why, that kind of money would’ve got him whatever engine and spec he fancied if he’d got a slightly older car.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Get a Kia.

johndoh
    Free Member

You plough your own furrow!

That might not be the only furrow being ploughed if he drives around in a pink car…

BurnBob
    Free Member

The only issue with that Dacia Duster is that judging by the picture they have forgotten to include doors in the price however have kindly fitted the door handles.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Umm.. It does matter.. that depreciation money – you have to pay that yourself.

….and it’s better if someone else pays it. We bought a Focus estate, just under 3 years old, 16,000 miles on the clock. It was just about as good as new. That car was £16,000 at RRP. We paid £6000.
    If we keep it 4-5 years and GIVE it away, it still won’t have cost what the first owner paid in depreciation…..

br
    Free Member

Buying new is a mug’s game

Horses for courses.

We buy (well) used for myself, but new for my wife. She’s only on her 3rd car (been together 15 years), while I’ve probably had a dozen… Although I’ve always bought new motorbikes.

And if you are going for the bottom of the range, it’ll depreciate less and have less things (plus less expensive things) to go wrong.

Panda.

tinsy
    Free Member

Focus, 8k for whatever age car it is, 5 years time is worth about 1.5k
    Panda, 8k new, 5 years time its worth about 1.5k

Depreciation is exactly the same, but I would prefer a new Panda, Chevorlet, Kia, or whatever than a 3-5 year old Focus.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I hire quite a lot of low end cars, so I’ve had experience of a few. The spark was the only one I wanted to give back before I got out of the lot! Yaris?

molgrips
    Free Member

Depreciation is exactly the same, but I would prefer a new Panda, Chevorlet, Kia, or whatever than a 3-5 year old Focus

I wouldn’t. New cars don’t stay new, but low-end ones stay low-end.

hora
    Free Member

Coming from a Multipla I’d say the Panda is too small.

Why not a Dacia?

I loved driving the Panda on holiday- hilarious, brilliant in town however at 70mph it wasn’t the most stable car. Thats a biggy for me. The Aygo/C1 by comparison is very stable at speed compared.

If it was my money I’d have a Duster, infact when my lease deal expires in a year on the C1 I will.

The Duster looks like the sort of car that will be uber cool dirty and battered.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Focus, 8k for whatever age car it is, 5 years time is worth about 1.5k
    Panda, 8k new, 5 years time its worth about 1.5k

Depreciation is exactly the same, but I would prefer a new Panda, Chevorlet, Kia, or whatever than a 3-5 year old Focus.

Now I happen to like Fiat Pandas, but no, that’s just no basis for a comparison! Just stupid non-logic.
    3 Year old Focus isn’t £8k anyway (See my last post)
    Why not buy a USED Panda for £4000?

hora
    Free Member

The Panda is supposed to be a hardy car- as the FIRE engine is very very simple…nowt much to go wrong with them.

tinsy
    Free Member

Molegrips I do get your point, if I was to go 2nd hand I would need to up my budget & get a high miles merc C class, a new shape, the newest budget would allow even if that meant more miles on it, we dont do big miles and it would even itself out during our ownership. In my exerience age takes its toll on a car as much as milage.

Trouble with that is it doesn’t come with trouble free ownership, £30 a year tax nor servicing all in for £6 a month like the Spark does.

Rich Penny, mmm not a good vote for the Spark.

Hora
    I need to drive/see the Dacia, but if its high road tax its out as these things factor highly in long term ownership, & you missed the bit where wifey gets the new car for the school run & we have a Merc Estate for big stuff and long distance.

PP, I like the old Panda, but the new one is quite a different beastie to drive by all accounts, quite a bit more refined & better trim, also I have to get something my wife wants to drive & a 2nd hand Panda isnt going to cut it, a new one might just scrape it!

Both cars in the running for buying today have been blackballed by the wife based on colour.

The Search continues.

molgrips
    Free Member

Trouble with that is it doesn’t come with trouble free ownership, £30 a year tax nor servicing all in for £6 a month like the Spark does

You think a car made by Chevrolet is going to be ‘trouble free’? Hehehe… 🙂

You don’t have to buy more car for the same money if you buy used. You could buy the same car for a lot less, and use the money for something else.

I can see not wanting to buy a 5 year old car, but there are lots of 1 year old cars that are indistinguishable from new and way cheaper.

tinsy
    Free Member

As it happens I did run Daewoo Matiz for a while, a £700 one, it was awesome fun in the snow & the kids loved handbake turns in the carparks.

It didn’t break, I ran it 6 months and sold for £750

They put 5 years warranty on them, so its not my issue if it breaks, albeit inconvenient.

pictonroad

Have a look at the new skoda rapid, it’s VERY cheap and looks bob on for size and quality and it’ll hold it’s value better than a Chevrolet..

hora
    Free Member

Don’t go near a spark. I had one as a hire car- awful. Felt too tall and too narrow – top heavy handling with sudden movements/direction changes.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just to wade in with the new vs 2nd hand. We just got a new as in brand new C-Max, we didn’t intend to we wanted a year old one. However it was actually cheaper to buy the new one than the year old one with the same finance plan over the same amount of time from the same dealer. Both cars were the same trim level with the same engine.

Yes it might have been slightly cheaper in the long run to get a 7 year bank loan but. A) we only intend on keeping the car 3 years and. B) a 3 year bank loan for the year old car would have been much more per month than the new car. So we have got a £20k car new for less than the £14.5k would have cost us. I can’t see the downside to be honest. Oh and as for the depreciation the car is a tool not an investment I am using the value not loosing it.

hora
    Free Member

I like the look of the latest C-max. You seem to have good taste in bikes/cars I_ache, I bet your mrs is quite a looker/my type as well 😯

tinsy
    Free Member

mmmm, Skoda are doing zero apr & no VAT on some models….

Would bring a basic Fabia in at under 8k.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ha, I thought you were into oriental women. If that is the case then no she isnt your type. I would say that I have done well and married above my station.

hora
    Free Member

My type is nerdy, ginger or Jewish-looking…

Most oriental women fall into the nerdy/square category. Ditto with Gingers/Jewish girls :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘OK, what cheap NEW car.’ is closed to new replies.