Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Ok then – interest check – Marsden for the weekend anyone?
  • beefy

Hi marsden man, sorry just read the first bit about riding, not the rest. Are you still riding on this weekend? ie first bh in may? I live over the other hill in holmfirth, so am local. Would love to meet up and ride. Let us know if its still happening, email is radresser @ google mail.com. ta!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Tempted to say yes please, but one Q – what’s the fitness level going to be like?
    I’ve been off the bike for 6months following injury & am back to square one. Originally from Milnrow, so could use it as an excuse to pop up & see the parents, etc.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Right then, sorry i’ve been so long picking up on this again……

This does not have to be a weekender o’course – could just be a day out, whatever you like really.
    Marsden is in West Yorks, bang on the A62 twixt Oldham and Huddersfield, there is also a train station in the village, if its handy for you that opens the way to more than the one post ride drink……. 😀

Am currently trying to establish if a mate of mine has mapping software, in which case I can get a proposed route plan up….
    Bottom line – it’s not going to be ‘easy’ – plenty of climbing, especialy to begin with, the odd stile to cross and the odd very short push up but, the pace is not going to be quick…… there’ll be views to admire…… 😆

Top of my head – shortest loop is probably 8-10 miles, first extension takes it to 14 or 15, there’s options to go beyond that but i need to research more… In the shortest loop there are several options for an early bath, after that you are committed……

Your rewards – views, a world renowned (I may have made that up…) drop back down the packhorse trail, the tunnel end inn and the riverheard brewery……

Dave – i have not been on the bike in ages – that changes Monday when my commute starts – you’ll be fine if you are getting out a bit between now and then…

apieceofcake – wedding cakes is fine cos you only have to drop them off – I have to be there all day 😆
    Where are you based though – always handy to know other suppliers – happy to keep some of your cards around if it helps.

Regards
    C

iPed
    Free Member

Ay up ‘Big Unit’

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=53.604411~-1.980526&style=h&lvl=14&scene=4267685&cid=F032E81B24D27CA2!101

that should help

.. hang on, that doesn’t work – you’ll have to copy/paste it into your browser

marsdenman
    Free Member

cheers iped – cannot afford to lose this afternoon working out how to use it but that looks like just the toy……
    Yours
    BigUnit

Bunnyhop

Has anyone got any phots of this famous ‘packhorse trail’. Being a bit wussy on steepish downhills, I need to know what the rocks look like.
    Forewarned and all that.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – tis not steep – or rocky (well, not except for the last 100mtrs which is a touch tricky but walkable if needs be)

<goes off to see if anyone helpful has posted a vid you tube>

marsdenman
    Free Member

here you go forgot my mate Isaac had done a ‘frame cam’ vid. one of 3 i think covering the whole drop….

pack horse 3 video from about 1min 30 in shows the last drop…..

Bunnyhop

Oooh thanks. It goes on and on. Are those water bars or dirty great drop offs?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Goes on for about 3 miles 😆
    no drop offs as such just one or two 12″ ish rideable things caused by erosion, the odd ‘watch your pedals’ bit due to depth of erosion and (weather permitting) hopefully not boggy bit in the middle – all in all a perfectly rideable top trail that end mere minutes from a pub!

marsdenman
    Free Member

Right, bumping this back up….
    apologies for not keeping on top of it….

Anyone still interested??
    Looks like the ‘turn up and ride option’ was preferable which is fine – saves us having to tidy up 😆

I’m thinking Saturday, 10am’ish start, route to be finalised ‘on the day’ – in terms of agreeing just how far we all want to ride / number of pub stops required etc 8), however it will initially be UP for about 2 miles…. no rush though, its just a steady plod, short, sharp road bit then double track.. after that its the usual ‘up and down’ malarkey… finishing with the above mentioned Pack Horse drop back to the village….
    I’ll post to see if SFB will part with a copy of his beginners route map that comes over here from Hollingworth lake as that will largely form part of what i’m thinking of…. and there will be quite a few opt outs if anyone wants an early pint, runs out of tangfastics etc etc…….
    Please be aware that ‘cheeky’ trails will be involved….. I always work on the basis of ‘be polite and give way’ ‘cos that’s how i wus brung up, and this is my doorstep…. 🙂
    So, let me know, we’ll take it from there.
    Cheers
    Chris

marsdenman
    Free Member

Can only guess I left this too long…. my fault entirely.
    However, just in case there’s an inkling of interest -here is the route SFB and the ‘Trotters’ use mine would vary a touch – the high level of red dotted lines may give a clue….. however it gives a great feel for the terrain….. plenty of up and down, however the pace will not be great and we can chop large chunks off the loop if needs be. As a starter for 10, I reckon the smallest loop that packs in worthwhile stuff is circa 12 miles….
    Cheers
    Chris

Bunnyhop

I’m still up for this. Anyway have never tried a tangfastic!
    Could I be cheeky and ask for a 10.30a.m start? This girl needs her beautysleep don’t you know. 🙂

Bunnyhop

Just looked at the map and I know the,’cheeky’ bit coming down to the lake, very nice it is too.

PaulMc
    Free Member

I would definitely have been up for a day ride, but for the fact we are camping on the Gower that weekend. Been looking at those hills on the train to Leeds recently. They looked fantastic from the M62 this morning and the A672 this evening. Saw two riders at point 6 of SFB’s route this evening as I tried to escape the 15 mile queue on the motorway. Maybe another weekend.
    Paul

Ben_mw

Afternoon Marsdenman. Is there room for a couple more? Me and Mrs_mw fancy meeting a few souls from on here, and I haven’t ridden the packhorse trail for about 15 years! (considering we live in Holmfirth, that’s a bit slack really). Is there many folk joining you?
    Cheers, Ben.

Bunnyhop

marsdenman – is this ride still on?

marsdenman
    Free Member

29.04.09 – Roll call added to Bike forum…….

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I’m probably up for this. Been riding the area to death for years (I’m local, lived in Marsden years back). Am off work all week and was planning to spend a few days in the peak District but struck by a stomach bug or something. Would be riding over from Honley so just need to know where and what time you’re meeting up to start.

By the way. Rode the packhorse trail into Marsden a fortnight back. Pretty dry & fast then but after the last few days rain it should be ‘interesting’ in places. Looks like some MXers have been up there again but really there’s only a couple of ‘front wheel into bog bits’ where you need to be careful. Be nice to meet up with some other folks round here as I rarely bump into anyone when I’m out.

E-mail me here: heathen_art@hotmail.com

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Ok then – interest check – Marsden for the weekend anyone?’ is closed to new replies.