Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 180 total)
  • Ok … Talk to me about E bikes.
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It may be that I sell the Hightower and do the winter on a hardtail then look early next year.

Every chance you may find you have very little by the way of choice if you wait, 3 local lbs to me have a healthy list of folk preordering 2021 ebikes.

el_boufador

I took the plunge on a trek rail 9 earlier in the year. I had a number on the shortlist including orbea wild and Whyte 150/180, however trek customer service and warranty stories won me over. Its fantastic fun!
    Back in the summer when it was dry, I was reaching for it every time due to the amount of climbing/descending I could get done on it, and also it opens up loads of previously unthinkable route options. It also gives you way more riding opportunities – you can still go out if you are feeling tired from yesterday’s exertions, or you can go out twice in a day (one ebike one normal) no problem.
    I have no need of it from a fitness point of view, and I was getting a bit worried it would make me slow when I went back on a normal bike! No need though, I maintained or even improved fitness (think this was because I was doing one or 2 normal rides a week but riding LOADS more than I otherwise would have on the ebike).

Only downsides I’ve found are:

Lifting it over stuff or hikeabike is a pain

Weight can make it want to push on a bit on tech DH (you get used to it)

Can’t go out on it when my mates are on their normal bikes!

renton
    Free Member

Every chance you may find you have very little by the way of choice if you wait, 3 local lbs to me have a healthy list of folk preordering 2021 ebikes.

Good to know. Thank you nobeer.

argee

Certain bikes are out of stock across the board, mainly the 2021 incoming where they’re waiting on EP8 motors (Shimano issues), Bosch motors Gen4 back orders) or the finishing kit, such as shimano and so on.

I find that those who have their bikes out now, without waiting for the year have them, you can find Whyte E150s out there, they are available, same with specialized, they have stock across the board last i looked, same with Giant, several trance e’s on offer, same with Haibike, from what i can see it’s the 2021s waiting for Bosch or Shimano motors that are now being pushed to next year.

As for me picking an E-Reign, it was simple, the giant store is 5 miles away, i had a nightmare with the Cube (mainly down to the lack of bikes and spares to warranty mine), so local shop only, wasn’t even looking for a replacement but went in to look, they had 3 e-reigns in the shop, went back in yesterday and they’re all gone, it’s mad out there, but they did have 3 e-trances, so just have a wander around and see what is out there.

Jamze

My LBS claimed their allocation of this years (just released) Whytes was now all gone, and they were taking deposits for the next ones already, so I’d get some demos if you can and put a deposit down, you might have to wait a while anyway.

I’d definitely look at that E-150 29er. It was a toss-up between that and the E-160 for me.

chiefgrooveguru

“Every chance you may find you have very little by the way of choice if you wait, 3 local lbs to me have a healthy list of folk preordering 2021 ebikes.“

My LBS was saying that some components currently have a 400 day lead time because of the factory shutdowns, a surge in demands and factories now operating at reduced output due to covid staffing issues.

And because of some of the lead time issues on critical components, some production runs of frames are being cancelled because almost all bikes are sold complete.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m starting to think it’s time for an ebike forum to get these sI’d ding repetitive threads out of here. Alternatively how about a conventional bike forum if this is how STW Towers sees the future for the majority offorum members?

singlespeedstu

It may be that I sell the Hightower

RaceCo will chop that in on a new Eeb.

chiefgrooveguru

“I’m starting to think it’s time for an ebike forum to get these sI’d ding repetitive threads out of here. Alternatively how about a conventional bike forum if this is how STW Towers sees the future for the majority offorum members?”

eMTBing is far more closely related to MTBing than all the roadie threads on here.

doomanic

I’m starting to think it’s time for an ebike forum to get these sI’d ding repetitive threads out of here.

You don’t have to read them you know…

There’s already a very active eBike forum, but I don’t suppose the powers that be would be too happy if all the traffic went there instead.

eMTBing is far more closely related to MTBing than all the roadie threads on here.

Indeed.

renton
    Free Member

RaceCo will chop that in on a new Eeb

Interesting. Didn’t realise shops did this still.

jim25

Just to add, they are less agile than a regular bike, so a bit harder to hop etc,

this is incorrect.
    My 25kg whyte e180 is way better at jumping than my 14kg yeti sb6c.

The whyte is actually the best bike I have ever riden, disregarding the benefit of the motor it is alot more fun to ride than the yeti

1981miked
    Free Member

I meant to make reference to the hoping thing in my post aswell. If you can hop a normal bike you can hope an ebike. Same principle just a bit more weight to take in to account. I didn’t have any issues hoping mine or having to manual stuff. Wheelies on the other hand are hard but I could never wheelie anyway.

doomanic

You could also try Two Wheels in Stourbridge. They do Trek, Giant, Whyte, Santa Cruz and many others. They offer exceptional service and may PX.

Jamze

I’m starting to think it’s time for an ebike forum to get these sI’d ding repetitive threads out of here.

Err…
    https://singletrackworld.com/charged

We don’t have separate Gravel, road etc. forums. It’s all bikes.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I meant to make reference to the hoping thing in my post aswell. Same principle just a bit more weight to take in to account. I didn’t have any issues hoping mine

What is this hoping that you talk of? Hoping it doesn’t break down again and need another thousand pound motor…

Kuco

We don’t have separate Gravel, road etc. forums. It’s all bikes.

You find Gravel is catered for in the GritCX channel.

jim25

You don’t have to read them you know…

There’s already a very active eBike forum, but I don’t suppose the powers that be would be too happy if all the traffic went there instead.

Indeed

This, if you don’t like them then there’s no need to read, comment or slag it off.

I don’t like road bikes so I don’t bother reading all the lycra threads on thus mtb forum.
    #ebikelivesmatter

sharkattack

I have no trouble at all avoiding all the threads about road bikes, gravel bikes, heart rate monitors, strava, training, “what tyres for”, bikepacking, chamois cream, bib tights, beard maintenance etc, etc…

I’m sure you can dodge the ones about mountain bikes which are a bit easier to pedal up hills.

julians
    Free Member

Just decided to go out for a quick ride before it went dark around macc forest and its surrounds.

Stated at leathers smithy, up throught the forest, down charity Lane, up the road towards the cat and fiddle pub, over the hill down stakeside to errwood reservoir in the goyt valley, back out of the goyt valley up to the cat and fiddle, across dane bower hollow, down Cumberland Brook and clough, back up to macc forest, through the forest and back to the car, 17 miles, 3000 feet of ascent, took 1 hour 25 mins on the e bike. Would have taken me 3 hours plus on the normal bike and killed me.

richardthird

OP, have you really only put 50 miles on the Hightower?!

renton
    Free Member

OP, have you really only put 50 miles on the Hightower?!

Yes 😟

1981miked
    Free Member

@thegeneralist.. sorry I meant hopping. I’m usually a stickler for spelling properly on here. In my defence I had a 3 year old to contend with whilst posting that reply.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry, was just joshing1981

OP. Why did you bother buying it if you’ve only done 50 miles on it. How do you know you don’t like it if you’ve barely used it?

I’m getting vague flashbacks about the username. Do you have previous in this area?😄

GolfChick
    Free Member

Ooooo careful we may end up getting into a debate about whether you’re a RaceCo customer or a 2wheels customer!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Found four NewBikeDay posts. 🤔

Having said which, I’m fully in a glasshouse here. I keep buying in appropriate bikes that I then regret buying. But I don’t do the sensible thing and flog them. Hmmmm

OP. I think the perfect bike for you isn’t an e-bike, it’s a Giant Anthem 29 Advanced, in green. It’s exactly what you need.
    Either that or a Specialized Enduro Élite, also in green. Really good bike, perfect for your needs.

renton
    Free Member

@Golfchick which hardtail did you go for in the end ?

OP. Why did you bother buying it if you’ve only done 50 miles on it. How do you know you don’t like it if you’ve barely used it?

I’m getting vague flashbacks about the username. Do you have previous in this area?😄

Don’t know where you have heard that 🤣

Also, don’t get me wrong I’m more than happy with the Hightower, it’s an amazing bike, climbs well and descends phenomenally.

I’ve just realised that maybe an ebike would be a better proposition for me and my circumstances.

sillyoldman

Is it possible you enjoy buying bikes more than riding them?

GolfChick
    Free Member

@renton I’ve ordered my new frame last week n hoping it turns up this week. Just need to scour for parts now which are few and far between!

copa
    Free Member

I agree. Should be another forum.

renton
    Free Member

@renton I’ve ordered my new frame last week n hoping it turns up this week. Just need to scour for parts now which are few and far between

What have you gone for ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As said up there ^^ huge lead time from both big S’s on some stuff, spoke to a rep a couple of weeks back who reckoned some Shimano stuff you’re looking at sept 21 for availability.

copa
    Free Member

Yes 😟

It doesn’t matter what you buy.
    The problem isn’t the bike. It’s you.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I agree. Should be another forum.

Or a purist forum, keep all the bawbags in one place.

renton
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what you buy.
    The problem isn’t the bike. It’s you.

Cheers, no one is disputing that. Especially me 👍

weeksy

Cheers, no one is disputing that. Especially me

Don’t be harsh in yourself. There’s not always simple answers.

richardthird

It’s all bikes innit, no need for a sep forum. Same trails, kit, parts, tyres etc conundrums to be discussed.

OP I hope you find your answer. I think an E would suit you well I’m just a bit bemused it’s taken you so long tbh.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

You need to employ Weeksy as your personal shopper.

He’s on a roll at the moment.😄

argee

Some of the comments on here are weird (this and other threads), ebikes are one of the biggest things to happen in the last generation of mountain biking, like it or not, that’s the way it is, they provide assistance to those who want more out of biking, i can’t get my head round those who complain about this, as if you need to devote your life to being able to pursue tour level fitness instead of ‘cheating’.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agreed.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Ok … Talk to me about E bikes.’ is closed to new replies.