Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Ok so what good reliable 4×4 and not look like a chav
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

To follow on from some recent threads
    Been looking to change the other halfs defender but what to look at
    Don’t want to look like a chav and don’t want anything that keeps breaking

Does need to tow around 3 ton though

So far shogun of some sort ?
    Not a d3 as they seem no better than what I have unless you buy a nearly new one

edlong
    Free Member

err, Defender seems like the best bet (apart from the reliability, allegedly)

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s that shocking reliability that I’m fed up with
    Its only does about 6000 miles a year and still breaks down lots
    It’s a td5

geoffj

Does need to tow around 3 ton though

Double cab pickup of some description

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Towing 3t for hop far?
    a nice car and one of these perhaps

Ran for years with only filter changes. Also goes on red diesel 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

I did suggest a Unimog but she was not willing

igrf
    Free Member

VW Amarok, just about to sell mine if you’re interested..

orangeboy
    Free Member

Pick ups and bikes seem like a pain in the ass but willing to listen

hora
    Free Member

Forester. I drove from Manchester to Bristol and back the same day in mine and I felt fine. In some 4×4’s you’d feel knackered. .i.e Defender

twoniner
    Free Member

I did suggest a Unimog but she was not willing

This ^^ I’d love one 8)

yunki
    Free Member

chavs don’t have 4x4s IME

seba560
    Free Member

the. new Ford Ranger.

igrf
    Free Member

orangeboy – Member
    Pick ups and bikes seem like a pain in the ass but willing to listen

It comes complete with a tailgate pad, you can hang 4 or 5 MTB’s off the back, I’ll see if I can find a pic and edit it in.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Forester + 1

Solo
    Free Member

Yunki.

Interesting Pic. I wonder if there’s a Chav cloning program in operation, somewhere.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Nissan pathfinder?
    and for those saying forester i didn’t think it could tow 3 tonnes?

br
    Free Member

Is that towing 3-ton just on tarmac or also off-road?

Not sure if just me, but a double-cab and big trailer is rather cumbersome – plus d-c’s are tight on people space.

And how much do you want to spend?

wombat

King-ocelot – Member
    Forester + 1

Not sure a Forester can tow 3t

yunki
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s a Chav cloning program in operation, somewhere.

the guy in the red jacket is like the queen ant (queen chav) and lays on average 400 eggs per day..

if you look closely, you can see from his expression that he’s just laying another one there.. the other chavs around him are worker chavs and will be feeding the eggs with spliffs and white lightening..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It comes complete with a tailgate pad, you can hang 4 or 5 MTB’s off the back, I’ll see if I can find a pic and edit it in.

Easy removed too 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Forester.

That’ll never tow 3 tonnes.

Solo
    Free Member

worker chavs
    😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Forrster will tow 2400lb/1088Kg

trail_rat
    Free Member

“plus d-c’s are tight on people space.”

used one recently ?

there pleasent places to be – the l200 i was in was just a shogun internally with leaf springs out back.

pays for this by loosing load space mind you.

for towing 3tonne your options are limited.

TheFlyingOx

We’ve got a XJ-series Jeep Cherokee Sport, which is pretty rugged and very comfortable. Good for 5000lbs towing, not sure that’s quite enough. It’s pretty reliable though, although I have changed the radiator, serpentine belt and water pump – small radiator leak, and I thought I’d do it all at once. Took me all of about 3 hours, and the trickiest bit was unscrewing all the various covers. Depends how mechanically minded you are, I suppose.

hora
    Free Member

That’ll never tow 3 tonnes.

Why do you want to tow 3 tonnes?

trail_rat
    Free Member

because the OP said he wants to tow 3 tonnes … i imagine horses….

i want at least 2.5 tonne towing on my next car for a car transporter

igrf
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Easy removed too

Yep does depend if you’re genuinely using it to transport the bikes to and from a trail area, I have left it here and there for an hour or so, but the boys up at Herts made me take the bikes off the back and take them inside whilst we went for an Indian, so it does depend on your locality I guess.

Then you can run a lock cable through them and vans ain’t necessarily any safer it somebody is aware of what’s inside, they’re just more visible initally I guess which if anything hones your own sense of security, I guess having been a committed pick up user these past ten years or so you get into a routine to suit, funnily enough I’m thinking of returning to using a van for other reasons, but I do prefer a pick up for the sheer convenience of other stuff you can do with it.

hora
    Free Member

because the OP said he wants to tow 3 tonnes … i imagine horses….

Transit van then. Sorted.

higgo
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Forester.

It’s a good answer, hora, but not to this question.

trail_rat
    Free Member

BWHAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHA transit van – fack off …

terrible for towing across grassy fields wet tarmac.

i remember watching a mate turn up to trial with his rangey on the back of his transit – couldnt even get up the slope into the event with the transit.

rolled the rangey off the back and still couldnt get the transit up. towed his transit up the hill with the rangey in the end.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

igrf

Having ended up with a Forrester here in Oz (missus made the choice before I got here) I did consider a Ute (pick up) as a second go anywhere bike vehicle. But after seeing limited dry load space and all that I was straight back to saving for the van. Bikes in & locked away with the tools etc. Dry on the inside and the insurance considers it all locked away inside. The roads here are fine in the end no real need for anything mental (don’t tell the locals)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Cough cough I missed the 3 tonne bit if the OP. I withdraw my Forester suggestion & have learned a harsh lesson never to +1 Hora. *head hanging in shame*

Markie
    Free Member

Is that you ploughing mikewsmith – I thought for a moment it was my uncle!? If so, whereabouts?

fbk
    Free Member

We looked into this a lot as we wanted something that would be reliable, tow 2 horses & trailer safely and be reasonably economical. We ended up with a Kia Sorento and haven’t regretted the choice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ssangyong korrando SE on the leftfield ??

depreciate like a stone i bet but as a used purchase couldnt be bad ?

folks i know with them are happy with em and had no major faults. they are the old 2.8 Merc engines as oppose their own 2.0 TD they use now though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not me in the pic, our 2 had cabs (either soft up north or way worse weather) ploughed with them a few times when I could barley reach the pedals 🙂

Farmers today don’t know they are born!
    (I am also not nearly that old!)

orangeboy
    Free Member

Thank all some good things to look at there

And yes big horse box and Somtimes a car trailer
    Just not sure about the security of bikes in a pickup

Not used for playing offroad just the odd field and the like

Keep being pointed at kia

Markie
    Free Member

Cabs for ‘real’ ploughing but always either the 28 or the 135 for competitions!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

our 135’s had cabs!! 1 had a working wiper and radio (MW/LW I was gutted when R1 went to FM)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Ok so what good reliable 4×4 and not look like a chav’ is closed to new replies.