Ok, so I’m 50 and never been in a proper fight.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • Ok, so I’m 50 and never been in a proper fight.
  • kerley

Had loads of fights at school. I was not too bad at Judo (started at age 10) so most ended up with the other person in a headlock or armlock and giving up. Never lost one and retired at age 16 undefeated when leaving school.

handybar

They should have windmilled in, all your Eastern Martial Arts skills would have meant nothing in the face of The Windmill.

easily

As an earlier poster said: experience makes all the difference.

In my mid-twenties I got attacked in the street by a gang. It wasn’t too bad, I ended up with lots of cuts, bruises, and swelling, but nothing broken. The worst part of it – for me – was that I had no idea what to do, no inkling of how to respond. I hated feeling so helpless.

I joined a Karate club. Now learning a martial art does not turn you into a hard man, but it does teach you basic blocks, punches, kicks, and throws – and the basic ones are the simplest and most important. I’ve since been in a couple of situations where a quick demonstration that I was not a pushover has helped de-escalate things. More than that, though, having the confidence that comes from training seems to stop these situations from happening in the first place.

Karate is good fun, I’d recommend it to everyone. It’s not the best for fighting – for that I’d recommend Judo, Ju-Jitsu, or boxing – but it is enjoyable, helps you stay fit and flexible, and it’s accessible for pretty much everyone.

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Never been in one single fight and never want to.

Some harrowing stories up there about the “one punch”. Especially Mr. Sparkles.

Now learning a martial art does not turn you into a hard man, but it does teach you basic blocks, punches, kicks, and throws – and the basic ones are the simplest and most important.

I did quite a few years of Aikido when I was younger and, if you want to engage in an actual fight, it’s completely useless.

Having said that, the basic principle and first step of most of the techniques is “step off the line of attack” i.e Move so you don’t get hit or at least lessen the impact of any blow.

I was once told by  a 7th Dan  instructor (and ex US Marine) that in a real world fight that’s the only technique that matters….to be closely followed by running away.

easily

That’s interesting perchypanther, I’d heard that Aikido was one of the more effective martial arts (used by police forces – that sort of thing).
    You’re right about the ‘dodge then run’ technique though, every truly hard person I’ve known has said the same thing. It doesn’t work when you’re with sisters, however, and cannot run away and leave them – which was the case in my anecdote earlier

I’d heard that Aikido was one of the more effective martial arts (used by police forces – that sort of thing).

For inducing compliance in an already captured subjects, then yes. A lot  of the locks  and holds are widely utilised by these sorts of guys

As a martial art for use in a fight it’s not great as a lot of the moves are quite highly stylised to prevent injury ( to the point that, to the casual observer it appears totally fake and like a scripted dance because, if it wasn’t, someone is going home with a dislocated shoulder or such like) and there are no offensive techniques whatsoever.

It’s purely a defensive art.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Worst one for me was getting surrounded with my little bro on the way back from Southsea skateboard park. 6 of them were gonna do gawd knows what, luckily a bloke nearby said “Takes 6 of you does it?” and enough of them left us that we managed to run away after 1 punch (I saw stars and can still vividly remember it, though it was over 40 years ago) and I threw the puncher in front of a car (unfortunately it had time to avoid him). Damn scary though.
    Funny thing is, my then chubby little bro, who I protected on that day, turned into a right hard bastard and a bouncer in Portsmouth. I had a slapping contest with him once and couldn’t touch him.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Interestingly we did a drill at Karate last night where we simulated defending yourself from an attacker with a knife. Marker pens were used so you could see where you had been stabbed.

Within seconds everybody in the room had received a fatal blow. I had a defensive wounds to my right hand, a slash to the armpit and a slash and stab to the stomach. 10 seconds. Dead. This was all from a mate of mine who was neither drunk nor really trying to kill me.

After the drill the Sensei said that the only way to win in that situation was to run away.

I hope that the kids in the class were paying attention.

After the drill the Sensei said that the only way to win in that situation was to run away.

Shortly  afterwards he announced that had a whole new batch of fresh white gi’s for sale after the class.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Anyone see that “24 Hours in Police Custody” last week? – teenager stabbings. Truly horrific and nasty, but it appeared to take a fair bit of knifing to actually kill someone.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

Truly horrific and nasty, but it appeared to take a fair bit of knifing to actually kill someone.

One misplaced stab will kill quite easily, friend got murdered at school with one badly placed wound.
    We did a similar drill to the karate one but all the non-stabbers had an incapacitant spray (training version) we all got stabbed too.
    You need a lot of distance or time to have a chance

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Yes, obvious really. Just Harry_the_spider’s post reminded me of it. Not sure if it was a good thing that my 16 yo watched that with me. He couldn’t believe the lad didn’t try to run, but they didn’t really give him a chance to. It was grim viewing.

Subscriber

As you can see in the pictures, once my mate got in close enough he probably killed me with an upwards blow under the left ribs. By this point I had already lost a finger and been caught in the armpit

When it was my turn he defended his stomach quite well, so I got him somewhere near the kidneys.

This was all one stab then stop. There were no follow ups and the defender was never incapacitated allowing repeated undefended attacks.

It was horrible, but the kids were having so much fun that I’m not sure the gravity of what they had just done sunk in.

The ink washed out, so no Gis were harmed during the making of this episode.

If you are genuinely interested in learning real world martial arts techniques which will  genuinely come in handy in a real fight then learn Geoff Thompsons Fence technique.

I’ve tried to teach it to my kids. Hope they listened.

Subscriber

The thing we did was stolen from the Geoff Thompson Chippie Drill.

Rob Hilton

I’d heard that Aikido was one of the more effective martial arts (used by police forces – that sort of thing).

Tokyo riot police do an Aikido course which mostly involves being slammed into the ground repeatedly to build spirit 🙂

The book: Angry White Pyjamas, is an entertaining read about training in the place that hosts it. I am not tempted to partake.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Interestingly we did a drill at Karate last night where we simulated defending yourself from an attacker with a knife. Marker pens were used so you could see where you had been stabbed.

its a great exercise and one every martial art club should be required to do regularly rather than teaching utterly pointless ‘disarming’ techniques.

and aikido? bullshido more like…

and aikido? bullshido more like…

There’s always one.

Fortunately, my ki is at harmony with the universe so I don’t give a shite what you think about it. 😉

MrSparkle

‘Angry White Pyjamas’. Blimey, that’s a blast from the past!

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

Martial arts will have some benefit if you are using it in an MMA cage in anger, then it’ll transfer to real world.

If you aren’t doing that and are just learning the moves. Tak on the usain bolt academy to your training list! 😆

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Fortunately, my ki is at harmony with the universe so I don’t give a shite what you think about it. 😉

its quite good at teaching you how to fall over. I’ll give you that…

its quite good at teaching you how to fall over. I’ll give you that…

An extremely valuable ability given the low level of bicycle riding skills  I possess.

Western boxing and some form of wrestling have to be the most effective disciplines in a street fight.

Kickboxing? no good in jeans and you’d rarely get the range for kicking
    ju-jitsu? useless, you’ll get your head stomped by an onlooker
    taekwondo, akido, karate, etc… not enough actual sparring, punch technique not as effective as boxing

Western boxing and some form of wrestling have to be the most effective disciplines in a street fight.

I’d put my money on the survival of a sprinter rather than a boxer every time.

easily

Boxing will teach you to strike quickly and effectively, and to defend yourself against punches. It’s also very good for keeping you in shape and ready to respond. However, boxing stance is susceptible to sweeps and quick kicks to the lower leg, and it’s pretty much useless if you get knocked down. As I said earlier, I’d agree that boxing is effective, but it has limits.

After doing karate for a few years I went to a Ju-jitsu class for a couple of months when I was away. I learned more in those months than I had in a year of karate, as it filled in a lot of gaps: what to do when grappled, what to do when on the floor, etc.

I’m still advocating running away as the most effective technique, and I liked the Fence Technique mentioned above, but if you want to learn to defend yourself you should probably go to a MMA class or study both a striking and grappling art.

yossarian

There are a few different types of aikido, from memory hombu is the floaty one and iwama is the properly aggressive version.

Anyone who mistakenly believes that all aikido is purely defensive ought to try some iwama. Used it to train up a security team I used to manage. Great for control and restraint. Pretty devastating for the slightly more proactive method of crowd control shall we say 😂

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Random fighting is just bizarre. Some people are simply wired that way I guess, my mum’s brother (black sheep of the family who no-one’s heard from now in decades) was one of those whose idea of a good night out was eight pints and a glassing.

I’m not. I’m not wired for it and I’m not built for it. I got into loads of scraps at school probably because I was the perfect target: I was little, I wasn’t part of the footballers group or the pretty boys group or any of the general “cool kids,” I was a socially inept swot. I was systematically bullied by one lad for about three years at high school and rarely fought back as somewhat naively I didn’t want to hurt anyone. That all changed one day when something inside me snapped, the red mist descended and I leathered the crap out of him. It happened a lot less after that, he was bigger and stronger than me but my days of going down quietly very much came to an end that day.

There were other incidents too. For a few months a gang got together to terrorise smaller kids with low-rent bullying, chucking them into bins and that sort of thing. Predictably, there was the mouth who was the ringleader and a skinny streak of piss who would probably have soiled himself at the first whiff of trouble had he not got his big mates in front of him all the time. Mostly I dealt with this by not being there, I joke these days that the reason I survived school is because I was a slippery little shit and could do a standing 40 yards faster than anyone else I knew.

I’ve no idea if any of this is typical, I suspect it’s far from uncommon in the sort of typical working-class county high school I went to. Kids can be shits. What baffles me though is that some people don’t seem to have grown out of it as adults. After leaving school I’ve not really been in a “proper” fight since, though I’ve come close once or twice and I’ve been thumped a few times over the years.

I once got knocked out in a nightclub in Preston for no discernible reason, I found out later that it was a bouncer from another club who’d taken it upon himself to go “student-bashing” and I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He swung a punch at me which I blocked (I’m no Bruce Lee but my reactions are good), tried to punch me with his other arm which I also blocked, then I came to on the dance floor so can only presume he headbutted me. After mopping myself up in the toilets the red mist descended again and I came flying out mad as a wasp looking for blood, at which point my mates all leapt on me and dragged me out of the place before I got myself seriously hurt.

Another that jumps to mind is a night out in Burnley. It wasn’t that late, still daylight, a mate and I were walking through town and a gang of lads plotted an intercept course for us. (Long hair + leather jacket = instant target for townie bellends I assume). As they got close I heard one of them say something like “bump him,” then one of them shoulder-checked me as they passed. I spun round and glared at him, which was sufficient to earn me a punch in the face. I looked round, saw them trying to circle us, did the maths (there was maybe six or eight of them, and two of us), shouted “RUN!” and did my aforementioned standing 40 with my mate hot on my heels. What they hadn’t counted on though was we weren’t on our own – I was out with like a dozen mates who had gone on ahead of us. As we sprinted down the street, they all spilled out of the pub along with a bunch of others to see where we were and what was going on. Given that for those who know it, the pub in question was The Carlton, our aggressors suddenly had an acute attack of bravado failure for some reason and sodded off sharpish. Lucky escape, that could have ended quite, quite badly.

The thing with real-world fighting is it’s not like Hollywood where people stand around waiting to take turns to have a go. It can escalate in milliseconds and the first thing you know about it is when you’re on your arse. In the words of Mr Myagi, “best defence, no be there.”

catfood

I’d agree with what’s been said above about boxing coming naturally in a real world fight situation.

I’ve been in one fight since leaving school, about twenty years ago a bunch of us went to a party where the local rugby club showed up and proceeded to act like a bunch of absolute knob ends. A few of them were in the bathroom for ages doing goodness knows what and so the girls at the party started to go out in the garden when they needed a wee. I’d gone to get some beers out of the car and spotted one lad leaning ove the fence watching my girlfriend and a couple of her mates having a wee and so I told him to jog on, the next thing I found myself up against a fence with a very big bloke punching and kicking me for all he was worth, I remember thinking I’d better get myself out of this pronto and having boxed for a few years I just started hitting him as hard and often as I possibly could, mostly in the face, it was all over in about two minutes and he was a total bloody mess, he just looked at me in a very sad and confused way as what just happened wasn’t in the script, he then went into the party to get his mates who came out looking for blood so we got the **** out of Dodge a fast as was humanly possible, discretion being the better part of valour and all that.

mooman

liamhutch89

Kickboxing? no good in jeans and you’d rarely get the range for kicking
    ju-jitsu? useless, you’ll get your head stomped by an onlooker
    taekwondo, akido, karate, etc… not enough actual sparring, punch technique not as effective as boxing

I`d agree with this.

Most fights between people who cant fight (and most people dont know how to actually fight) will end up on the floor .. so wrestling is tops.
    When both people are standing up – inevitably a punch will be thrown before the grappling and wrestling starts … this is when boxing skills are tops; the first guy to land that first punch, or able to avoid and counter it will often be the one walking away with all his teeth.

Karate is good to build confidence etc … but typically its fighting by numbers; which in real life situations when kicks and punches are thrown very unorthodox its very often useless.

But … some determined rough fkr with no boxing/judo/martial arts experience can very often walk through those with all sorts of trained fighting experience.

Best bet is … avoid it as you have for the last 50 years.

Premier Icon LimboJimbo
    Subscriber

Back in school, there was a lad a couple of years below us that seemed a natural target for the local tough kids. He was very obese and crippling shy, I don’t think I ever heard him speak out loud. Me and my friends were good at staying away from them but in the end they seemed to be waiting for him every day after school. Two in particular would throw drinks, kicks and flick fag ash at him as well as the vile verbal abuse that went with it. He just kept his head down and took it. His big brother started to meet him on the way home, he was about 17, six foot three and maybe 20 stones plus. He got the same for a few days until something in him snapped . I will never forget the sight of purple faced bully one being swung at waist height in a headlock, while his mate flailed weak, unnoticed blows on big bro. That is the only satisfying fight I’ve witnessed.

Generally, fighting as human behaviour falls anywhere between absurd and life changing. I have seen more than enough real violence to know it turns my stomach.

joeydeacon

Pretty sobering viewing on what happens when fighting goes wrong..

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Last proper fight I had was in the air cadets

at a summer camp it became apparent that the host air base had set up a milling ring and we were all expected to strap on some boxing gloves and a head protector and have at each other…When my turn came about, I realised that either of two things would happen, I get smacked in the chops or I would land a lucky blow that would convince my opponent that I meant business, so I opted for B and something like a red mist descended and I went in swinging hard. Luckily for me one of my completely ill timed and inaccurate blows landed, and my opponent threw in the towel

and that was it, haven’t lifted so much as a fist ever since.

retro83

joeydeacon

Pretty sobering viewing on what happens when fighting goes wrong..

That’s terrible. Hats off to the dead guy’s girlfriend at the end, that’s some real mettle.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.