Ok, so I’m 50 and never been in a proper fight.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Ok, so I’m 50 and never been in a proper fight.
  • Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Instead, find a friend who’s also up for it

Get pissed first. It hurts less (and if you’re lucky, may end up as an amorous engagement).

fasthaggis

How about a stw fight club? I’d be well up for that

How about an STW hard stare club?

blink now

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Has to be done:

johnx2

^^^
    Who’s he?

munrobiker

Fighting is the absolute most base way to resolve a dispute. You should be proud you’ve never been in one – I never have, though I’m only in my 30s. I can’t imagine being in a situation where I am getting wound up enough to hurt someone, and in turn winding them up to that point too. It’s just so uncivilised.

nosedive

I have been in maybe 3 or 4. Even the ones more or less that I have ‘won’ have been painful and upsetting and resulted in lost property and torn clothes. Best avoided, you arent missing anything

MrSparkle

I am aware of two people that have been killed after being hit by one punch. Fighting isn’t big, clever or glamorous.

Home

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Remember the wise words of Mike Tyson

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”

I’d imagine 50 is definitely the wrong age to start brawling if you’ve successfully avoided it so far

ton

fighting is stupid, and what starts as a little scuffle can turn into a whole lot of shit for you.
    I have been there.

so kids, don’t fight, try and use humour instead.

so kids, don’t fight, try and use humour instead.

It is this tactic that’s got me into most of the fights in my life.

Some people just can’t take a joke.

bigyan

Fighting is the absolute most base way to resolve a dispute. You should be proud you’ve never been in one – I never have, though I’m only in my 30s. I can’t imagine being in a situation where I am getting wound up enough to hurt someone, and in turn winding them up to that point too. It’s just so uncivilised.

Self defense?

fasthaggis

Was it a bad punchline Perchy ?

Was it a bad punchline Perchy ?

I just said…”Let me try this gag on you” and they go getting the wrong idea.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Also 50 and also not been in a proper fight.

I mean, I’d be up for it, but with the state of my back these days…..

doris5000

I am aware of two people that have been killed after being hit by one punch. Fighting isn’t big, clever or glamorous.

aye, this. My mate works with a bloke who got in a pub fight. One punch, the other guy went down, hit his head on something as he went, never woke up. Bloke did a good few years in prison, saw his kids now and again at visiting time. Quite a nice guy, apparently, you’d never know.

toby1

I’m a lover not a fighter, or something along those lines. I guess I’ve been close over the years, but no one has ever hit me in anger, well except an ex, she did it with an open hand and nails out though, she was a bit nuts (Lousie was her middle not first name!).

I think it’s something to be proud of, you’ve never been enough of a tool to be hit by anyone and never been tool enough to hit someone.

Take up a contact based martial art if you want, controlled violence is the way forward.

handybar

I went to a rough school and sometimes you had to have the odd fight otherwise you would get picked on by the resident psychos who’d been expelled from other schools. But such fights can get out of control. The best way to get rid of aggression is rugby I think.
    Btw I think the op is being tongue in cheek!

Fighting is similar to gambling; don’t play if you can’t afford to lose.

I leant how to play ice hockey when I was in the military and whilst my skating isn’t too bad and I can manage stick handling basics, I’ll never be a 1st or 2nd line player. What I have found I’m good at though is the borderline dirty play, niggling opposition players to put them off their game, or what’s known as the ‘agitator’ role.

What I’ve also noticed (and am known for) is that Im very protective of me and mine, and as I play in defence that often sees me jumping to the defence of my netminders.

As a consequence of both playing an agitator role and being (some might say “overly”) protective of my teammates I often get into fights, which are considered part of the game and attract surprisingly little punishment compared to other team sports.

Fighting on ice is an experience in itself.

Using your weak hand to hold onto your opposition (I go for the collar of their shoulder pads with my left hand and crank my elbow up high to try and protect my head from their right hand punches) whilst at the same time trying to hit them is fun. If they’ve left their helmet on then you have to either try to remove it or accept that your knuckles are going to hurt a lot afterwards.

Whilst this is going on you have to remain mindful of your footing, watching out for discarded stick, gloves helmets etc that may trip you or your opposition trying to adjust his position in order to unbalanced you, either to put you onto the ice or to get some punches in while you get your balance back.

The odd thing though is, when the dust settles, there is a ‘code’ of what happens on the ice stays on the ice that most player respect. To the point that I regularly put my nursing skills into practice afterwards and help fix up my previous opponents if they have a split lip etc.

I think it’s something to be proud of, you’ve never been enough of a tool to be hit by anyone and never been tool enough to hit someone.

Unfortunately, your inherent tool-ness is absolutely no guarantee against some other tool taking a pop at you.

Sometimes all it takes is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If you’re 50 and there’s something you’ve never done then odds are you’re not going to be very good at it. I’d give it a miss.

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

Sometiems all it takes is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What like holding two people apart during a brawl in a club – one and only time I’ve engaged in a fight – someone else came along and decked me whilst I had my hands full 😕

johnx2

I’m a lover not a fighter

Likewise, though it’s a similar technique: just get it over with as quickly as possible…

mrwhyte

One of my best friends from school and college recently got in a drunken fight with his brother, punched him. Unfortunately he suffered bleeding on the brain and was declared dead at the scene. My mate was 33 at the time, his brother 36. Realy sad set of circumstances.
    Fighting isnt cool at all. I’d be pleased that I’d reached the ripe old age of 50 not having fought someone.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Sometimes all it takes is to be in the wrong place at the wrong time

Indeed. And sometimes it’s too late to deploy the sensible ‘run away’ technique

I can confirm, after an experience a few years back that you can get into a fight very, very easily.

You don’t actually need to do anything at all to instigate it, as there are some right mad bastards out there who will assault you for no apparent reason whatsoever

What I learnt as I regained consciousness in the back of the ambulance:

It is possible to be knocked clean out with one punch

Being hit that hard really, really, really ****ing hurts

You look like a right **** walking around with two black eyes

🙁

Leave the scrapping to the nutters who enjoy it, and aim not to find yourself in the same pub as them

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

I have an advanced coward’s form of radar which served me well as a yoof. I once virtually frogmarched a couple of bemused mates out of a Holyhead pub when they were oblivious to things starting to go rapidly in the wrong direction.

So no, I haven’t had a fight since school, and even that was a bit pathetic.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Fighting is a game for dicks, but unfortunately I’ve been in quite a few (but never instigated any) stemming from moving to 5 primary schools and 4 high schools as a kid, there’s nowt worse than being the new kid in school as the local school bully comes up to assert his authority, pretty much always got beaten up in primary school as i was pretty small and rotund but i stated racing motocross at 10yrs old along with helping my dad out in forestry and rapidly put on muscle so i soon learned that the best way to get the upper hand was to strike fast, preferably knock them down and make sure it **** hurts them enough to never try it again, balls/neck/eyes..whatever it took to get them to stop.

I used to have frequent fights/scuffles throughout my 20’s (1990’s) as i worked behind the bar in a local fishermans pub in town and often got swung at/punched/glassed/hit with a pool cue – it was par for the course and you gave as good as you got,  i once received a stiletto heel punched clean through my skull whilst trying to separate a large fight between two different boat crew, one of the skippers wives practically scalped the back of my head with her shoe whilst knocking a hole through my skull and jumped on my back and sunk her teeth in my neck, blood pouring everywhere so i threw her into one of those quiz game machines (remember those? ….there’s nowt more fearsome than a drunk and coked up fishermans wife, think drunk honey badger on pcp. Thanks to her i got a 5 day holiday in hospital.

Thankfully i’ve not had a scrap/fight since the late 90’s (that job had to go for my health) apart from last year when a lorry driver attempted to drive us off the road, my mum and myself were driving back from the hospital where my dad lay dieing due to **** medical incompetence and heading through a local 30mph zone through a village on the A75 a lorry driver was right up my arse flashing his light/blaring his horns to get us to speed up, i stuck to the speed limit but he then tried to overtake us despite oncoming traffic and tried to hit the side of my van/force us over on numerous attempts so i pulled over into the next lay-by to get his numberplate and the lorry driver stopped behind, got out and ran towards me shouting “get out of my **** way….i’m bigger…i’m bigger..40 **** tons of metal..40 **** tons of metal…i’ll **** kill you…i’ll **** kill you, and you’ll **** get it as well (to my 65 year old mother)”. I’m no **** good at anything these days due to progressive MS so he very easily knocked me down as was on top of me trying to punch my head but i managed to get one hand round his throat and forced my other thumb into his eye as hard as i could till he choked and rolled off me then i punched and punched his face till it was a bloodied mess then called the police. My mother witnessed the entire incident along with my dash cam recorder picking up his shouting and swearing and another car stopped so also witnessed the entire episode but the police couldn’t attend as they were away somewhere else (rural area-nae **** police) so we left him in the lay-by still moaning but rather more subdued this time and drove home. I was shaking with adrenaline and eventually the police questioned me/took a statement the following week and the upside of it all was he got a caution, the police never questioned my mother nor the other witness and didn’t view/listen to the dash cam recording

My evidence, my mothers evidence, dash cam evidence and a full independent witness who saw the entire thing yet all he gets is a caution.

Bloody hell.

I thought that chocolate tasted funny.

It must have been laced with testosterone. 😉

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

…then i punched and punched his face till it was a bloodied mess then called the police.

This may be why it was left at a caution- not wanting to stick you on as well. IANAPF

tdog

Get a train or drive to Glasgow and shout out Y I MAN how’s life inda ghetto

That’ll provoke a response followed by a Glaswegian smile

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

MoreCashThanDash

Subscriber
    Also 50 and also not been in a proper fight.

I mean, I’d be up for it, but with the state of my back these days…..

Going to pm you.

I’ve a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder so have trouble raising my arm to punching height. So potentially a good match.

Perhaps we should start the fight sitting down on chairs and treat it as more of an endurance event and pace ourselves?

Needs to be low impact too due to my knees though I’ll make sure I’m wearing my Sketchers as they have memory foam soles.

I’ll bring the Voltarol.

mooman

If you have avoided having a proper fight this long – I would do your best to avoid one for the next 50 years at least.

If it was for you then you would have discovered it by now.

koldun

I would suggest you continue to avoid them. I’ve been bottled (twice) and it was not a lot of fun.

Premier Icon greavo
    Subscriber

Never been in a fight but I’ve caused loads.

Using your weak hand to hold onto your opposition (I go for the collar of their shoulder pads with my left hand and crank my elbow up high to try and protect my head from their right hand punches) whilst at the same time trying to hit them is fun

Who do you think you are? Bob Probert?

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

There used to be a rough pub on every high street. Where have they all gone?!?

Blame me. I used to fight a lot. It was more of a job than part of my social life. I travelled from town to town working the bars and getting rid of the violent ‘customers’. It was a hard life – people would vandalise my my car, so I used to go ‘bangernomic’ until I left town. Came to an end when I lost my friend Wade and I killed a man in self-defence.

CountZero

How about a stw fight club?

There might already be one but no-one’s said anything.

What happens at STWFC stays at STWFC…

Perhaps we should start the fight sitting down on chairs and treat it as more of an endurance event and pace ourselves?

Needs to be low impact too due to my knees though I’ll make sure I’m wearing my Sketchers as they have memory foam soles.

I’ll hold yer coat, and if I’m late, start without me…

Nico

Pubs with flat roofs. It’s important to add the roof bit. Truly hard men only drink in pubs with flat roofs. None of this triangular malarkey.

I think you mean pitched malarkey, not “triangular”. It’s the origin of the term pitched battle – a fight in a pub which hasn’t got a flat roof.

Premier Icon beej
    Subscriber

Blame me. I used to fight a lot. It was more of a job than part of my social life. I travelled from town to town working the bars and getting rid of the violent ‘customers’. It was a hard life – people would vandalise my my car, so I used to go ‘bangernomic’ until I left town. Came to an end when I lost my friend Wade and I killed a man in self-defence.

Was your first rule to expect the unexpected?

Who do you think you are? Bob Probert?

I wish.

I saw him play a fair few times (go Wings) and met him in Afghanistan, what a player!

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

I used to be a bit of an idiot when younger. Former soldier, rugby league player and boxer. As I played rugby league from an early age steroid use was pretty rife, along with the use of other drugs (mainly speed).
    I was quite an angry person, not that I looked for trouble but I used to enjoy fighting back in my day. Been slashed in the face once, just above my eye and kicked in the face so hard my front tooth came through my lip (just under my lip).
    Now I’m completely the opposite, I realise what a complete d1ck I was and how lucky I was to not get into serious problems. Spent a handful of nights in the cells, but never anything more than that.
    Strangely now I still think i can handle myself, but obviously couldn’t. I used to be over 95kgs as a Rugby League hooker, I’m now 67 kgs and have frozen shoulder so can’t lift my arm!! I can’t even run away from trouble as my arm hurts too much to run.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.