Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Ok. I'll be honest- I want to move out of London. Where to though?
  • uplink
    Free Member

York is a great little city, a bit touristy with too many students at times but a great place all the same
    Right on the East coast main line so King-X is just a couple of hours away if you feel homesick

Great road riding straight out of your door with the North York Moors 1/2 an hour away in one direction and the Yorkshire Dales a similar distance in the opposite direction for some of the best mountain biking you’ll find in the UK

oldgit
    Free Member

What about Beds, Bucks and Herts?
    I made the jump from Camden to here about thirty years ago. I wasn’t to sure at first, but now I see it as best of both worlds.

Great countryside and therefore riding on your doorstep – Woburn/Chilterns/Cotswolds/Ashridge. Great road riding as well.
    Then of course youre only minutes by train back into London.
    And property prices well I don’t need to say.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Indeed – the man who called April Fool has it!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

Do you not fancy moving to your spiritual home Fred? The Pool would surely welcome you with open arms? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It was the constant references to Bradford that gave it away.

TooTall
    Free Member

I still think deporting him to Edinburgh and putting him under house arrest with TJ is a valid suggestion. Sort of Evil Big Brother.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gonna try and visit the BBJ tomorrow TT 🙂

nuke

Well done Fred. I can’t believe it took all those posts before Phil called April fool

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well done Fred.

+1

(Hence my “Bristol’s a shithole” post – but I believed it on first reading) 😳

joemarshall
    Free Member

I guess this is an April Fool, but I’m on a bus to work (down a lovely green valley, sheep and cows grazing today since you ask!), so I’ll pretend it was a serious question, as an ex Londoner until I was 26.

I’ve never lived in London, but have spent alot of time there as my 3 sisters and some friends have lived there on and off over the last 25 years. As far as entertainment and culture, there’s nothing else to compare in the UK.

I lived in London for a long time and agree with this. Most interesting cultural stuff either is done in London, or ends up coming to London.

However if you’re organised trains are darned cheap, from our station in Belper, Derbyshire, it is 2 hours to Kings Cross, and as long as you book tickets a week or two in advance, costs about fifty quid, which is way less than the weekly difference in rent / mortgage (we have a 3 large double bedroom mill workers cottage, costs us 650 quid a month). Obviously helps if you have family / friends to visit, although a day trip is actually alright.

It isn’t the same from a cultural point of view as living in London, you have to plan stuff, and put in more effort to find out what’s happening, but on the plus side I live in a beautiful valley, with hundreds of miles of walking and mountain biking rideable from the door, oh and the air is lovely and clear (i was really surprised how much I noticed that after London, every time I go back the air gets me now ).

One thing I wasn’t really fussed about when moving , but which turns out to make a big difference now is a kind of local community that you get in a small town, especially makes a difference once you have kids. In London, there are loads of communities like various groups of art people, or people who are into particular sub cultures or whatever, but I never really felt the same kind of geographical community, where everyone isn’t basically the same kind of person, they just happen to live in the same place and have to get on. In London, because so many people live so close together, there is a kind of social code of basically ignoring people outside your personal community of friends, or who aren’t your type, which you seem to get much less up here, had more conversations with random completely unconnected strangers in a couple of years here than in many years in London .

turtleheading
    Free Member

CARDIFF!!

Phenomenal city. 30mins to Afan, 20mins to cwncarn. Awesome trails right on our doorstep around Castle coch, Caerphilly etc. Gower only an hour away.

One sweet place to live!

hels
    Free Member

If it’s an April fool then I suggest Livingston.

allthepies
    Free Member

I only had to see the thread title to realise it was a Fred April Fool. I am awesome however.

spando
    Free Member

I’ve lived in edinburgh, galashiels, windsor, london, barnstaple, dulverton, banbury, back to edinburgh, then galashiels, now very happy and settled in tayport just over the water from sunny dundee, all are great places. I would suggest edinburgh fits your criteria and its handy for train or flight back to london. Some great routes around edinburgh without the need to drive also glentress 40 min drive. I love dundee for the convenience of the city and proximity to the cairngorms. Though north devon has a special place in my heart for surf,weather, people and general fun outdoors lifestyle. Have fun go on a road trip follow your heart and trust your instinct, just do it!

wwaswas

London-sur-la-mer (aka Brighton)?

Drac

I realised it was an April fool when people posted how great Edinburgh is.

spando
    Free Member

I’ve lived in edinburgh, galashiels, windsor, london, barnstaple, dulverton, banbury, back to edinburgh, then galashiels, now very happy and settled in tayport just over the water from sunny dundee, all are great places. I would suggest edinburgh fits your criteria and its handy for train or flight back to london. Some great routes around edinburgh without the need to drive also glentress 40 min drive. I love dundee for the convenience of the city and proximity to the cairngorms. Though north devon has a special place in my heart for surf,weather, people and general fun outdoors lifestyle. Have fun go on a road trip follow your heart and trust your instinct, just do it!

wwaswas

I realised it was an April fool when people posted how great Edinburgh is.

*sniggers*

SaxonRider

turtleheading – Member
    CARDIFF!!

Phenomenal city. 30mins to Afan, 20mins to cwncarn. Awesome trails right on our doorstep around Castle coch, Caerphilly etc. Gower only an hour away.

One sweet place to live!

I couldn’t agree more, and I have lived a few places. Elfin, come to Cardiff for a visit on the train one day (with your bike) and I’ll show you how could be living with respect to culture and hills.

molgrips
    Free Member

CARDIFF!!

Phenomenal city

Ok so I quite like Cardiff, but I’d stop short of phenomenal! It’s got a great centre, loads more culture than it’s size should have (lots of Welsh National investment), good young population and it’s small, not busy and does indeed have good mtbing (but not as good as some places).

However on the minus side the natives (ie not incomers) are pretty parochial and narrow minded sometimes, on the whole it could do with being a bit more middle class I reckon.

But top April fool, well done Elf 🙂

However, definitely visit with bike – preferably when I’m there though.

Hohum
    Free Member

hels – Member
    If it’s an April fool then I suggest Livingston.

I quite like Livingston to be honest.

Not all of it mind.

Raindog
    Free Member

I realized it was an April Fool when TJ offered to put someone up for free 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

I still think deporting him to Edinburgh and putting him under house arrest with TJ is a valid suggestion.

I am now rather excited at the chance of meeting deadlydarcy. I can only hope he is as exciting and witty in real life. That would make Saturday even more special that it is going to be.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

I am now rather excited at the chance of meeting deadlydarcy. I can only hope he is as exciting and witty in real life. That would make Saturday even more special that it is going to be.

You might want to offer him some pollyfilla for that huge chip on his shoulder, and some nice sweets to calm his bitterness 😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Another vote for edinburgh!

Esme
    Free Member

Has anyone suggested Warrington yet?

Excellent motorway links to the Lakes, Dales, North Wales, etc

And close to Manchester and Liverpool, if Warrington’s Cultural Quarter isn’t good enough for you . . .

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is it Mid-Day yet? 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

Very good. You stay in that there London town young man 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

Doh, youuu!!!! grr. lol.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Is it Mid-Day yet?

That was indeed some of your finest work 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

Elfin things like this are below contempt, why anyone would leave the happy embrace of the M25 is not a topic to joke about.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why was TJ suggesting the M4 corridoor? I live here and even i wouldnt defend it!

Slough?
    Reading?
    Swindon?

Have they ever been nice places to visit let alone live?

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d steer well clear of Liverpool. It’s full already.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tinas – you do the area a disservice.

There’s lots of work around and quite a bit of good biking. Those are two important factors…

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you want to stay out of London but close Oxford it quite good. It’s not just a university town so have more going on than the obvious alternative of Cambridge. Quick train or 24hr a day bus service into London (every 15 min). Good selection of jobs locally, good bus service in town and serving local towns including late night nuses. Good museum e.t.c. Not bad local riding, short journey to Wales.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Isle of Man

turin
    Free Member

what about pimlico, you would need a passport though 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

St Kilda

iDave
    Free Member

I’d steer well clear of Liverpool. It’s full already shite.

molgrips
    Free Member

I love all these people that say ‘oh suchandsuch is handy for Wales’.

You can actually live IN Wales you know. Many people do, and have the mountains on their doorstep 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Ok. I'll be honest- I want to move out of London. Where to though?’ is closed to new replies.