Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Ok. I'll be honest- I want to move out of London. Where to though?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

S’no point in me banging on about how great London is all the time, truth is, I’m fed up with the place tbh. Too crowded, congested, expensive and full of (rudeword)s. I never get to ride me flippin bikes what I’ve spent so much money on, and I’ve never lived outside London, so I think it’s time I had a change, otherwise I’ll never do it. It’s now or never really.

Yeah yeah stop yer laughing.

A few people I know have moved out, and are happier as a result. Visiting them has shown me that such a move could be good for me too, a change of scenery, a fresh perspective. I could be living in a much nicer area, for less money. Loads of people off here live in lovely places, and I’m pretty jealous of their lifestyles actually.

So, for someone who loves art and culture and that, but yearns for the outdoors too, where should I be looking at?

I do like Bradford, I must say. Love the city, the surrounding area and that. Really beautiful, the moors and countryside round there.

So, come on, where should Elfin relocate to? Put your case for your choice.

And please don’t take the pee. 🙁

Yes I’ve had a drink, but in vino veritas and all that…

grum
    Free Member

Account hijacked?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Decsions to be made

Coast or Country
    East or West
    North or South
    If North, just a bit north or proper north?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bristol’s a shithole. I’d stay well away.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Grum; Nah mate, just sittin here, thinking about stuff, just facing something I’ve bin ignoring for too long really. 🙁

If I don’t do it now, it’ll never happen…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Needs some things defining.

Do you want to stay in the south?
    Anything decent between london and bristol?
    Urban or rural or small town?

Sheffield? I think a bit nicer than Bradford but around that area is loads of nice places to live and the towns are close together. Harrogate is another nice town

I think Edinburgh is one of the finest cities in the world. The biting easterly can be a bit much tho. A parochial tinge does creep in sometimes. Plenty of culture, decent local riding and world class riding an hour away in a car or train

RealMan
    Free Member

Exeter.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Edinburgh is a good transition for folks leaving London, has some of the same vibrancy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tell you what Elf – jump on a train to Edinburgh. I’ll put you up for a few days and that will give you a very different perspective.

Even if you don’t want to live in Edinburgh the view is different here

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, Edinburgh.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TJ; I’ve bin to both Sheffield and Bradford, and must say I think Bradford is loads better really. I much preferred it, anyway.

Don’t want to move to a big city, so Manchester and Brum are out.

Very kind offer TJ. Might just take you up on that…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Nottingham? York? Otley? Newcastle?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don’t want a city? Harrogate then or buxton of the northern towns

If you are fed up of london then don’t move to another city.

Elf – do vist Edinburgh

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Now Newcastle has appeal, strangely. It’s not too big, is it?

Maybe I should go and visit a few places, get the vibe…

Kunstler

Edinburgh.

grum
    Free Member

If I was gonna move anywhere in the UK it would probably be in/near Edinburgh. Like most of the best bits of Scotland it’s full of English people. 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Newcastle ain’t too big, and even if it is, there are lots of nice surrounding places, Durham?

Grimy
    Free Member

My sister lives near ross-on-wye in the small parish of peterstow. I love it round there. Relaxed pace of life, loads of countryside to amble through to various little villages and pubs. Weathers not too “northern”. Not far from forest of dean, Brecons, Wales etc. Suspect youd get a bit of a culture shock though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

See, Bradford’s just about the right size really, and it’s got places like Saltaire, which is really nice. When I was up there last year, I thought ‘I could live here’.

I do need to see a few places though, that’s for sure.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I live near Bradford (in Bingley), can’t really understand why anyone would like it, the city centre I mean. 25 years ago it was a bit of a hub for alternative music (Southern Death Cult (The Cult), New Model Army, Skeletal Family) and quite a vibrant Punk/Goth scene. Now, I avoid the city and much of it’s suburbs like the plague, apart from curry nights and the odd real ale pint in The Fighting Cock. Maybe the view looking in is different to looking out, I’m not sure. A few Asian friends are moving out, they say the shopping centre is full of tat shops. MTB in the local area is mostly excellent though. The Moors, above Bingley are one of the best little MTB play areas in the UK IMO. Most of Chris Akriggs vids are done on Shipley Glen or Harden Moor.

Kit
    Free Member

Edinburgh is a good transition for folks leaving London, has some of the same vibrancy

Ya reckon? As much as I love Edinburgh, it has a certain stoicism and drabness to it that is only shook off when festival time comes around. Edinburgh is full of history, whereas places like Glasgow are more youthful, creative and energetic. Just my opinion though of being here for quite a while!

Kevevs
    Free Member

know how you feel elf. if you don’t like you can always go back! right. that is a very hard wrench from your mates and especially your mum and location. But more than anything it’s a wrench from your past. It’s not an easy choice. You need a city vibe, a bit of a buzz. I’m not the guy to ask! always here mate

but if you are after a biking/mountainy community, some nice coasts, some mountains, and a generally healthy lifestyle in a lovely part of the world. some nice people…

TheFlyingOx

Totally agree with TJ.

I’m a Sheffielder now living in Edinburgh. Both “nice size” cities, both with excellent cultural goings-on, both with superb mountain biking in the very close vicinity. Sheffield’s cheaper than Edinburgh and has better pubs, but Edinburgh is on the coast (excellent for boozy BBQs – eg Gullane beach) and is a good setting-off point for lots of sublime mountain biking if you’re prepared to drive an hour or two. Or get the train.

FWIW, I’ve lived in Sheffield, Huddersfield, London (Catford), Edinburgh and St Andrews. Spent time in Manchester, Leeds, Bradford (Baildon) and Middlesbrough.

coffeeking
    Free Member

From passing through I can honestly say I’d rather live in London than Sheff. And I hated London when I was there!

TheFlyingOx

You must have been in a good bit of London and a shitty bit of Sheffield then. Which, I’ll admit, there are plenty of.

Philby

Much as I don’t want to piss Deadlydarcy off I would recommend Bristol. Much better than Bradford (I went to school there) IMO.

Its quite a compact city with easy access to countryside on all sides – there’s even a fabulous Sustrans route round the city taking in some lovely lanes. And its only 100 miles to that London place.

Culturally its a happening place – Arnolfini, Watershed, Banksy, Tobacco Factory, St Georges Hall to name but a few venues – and has plenty of clubs if that’s your thing. There’s the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition on at the moment. Loads of great restaurants, cafes and bars. A nice vibe round the harbourside during the day.

And some great architecture (and some bloody horrendous stuff as well) http://www.about-bristol.co.uk/arc-07.asp

Riding-wise we have Ashton Court (which is getting a new trail this year), Leigh Woods, and 50 Acre in cycling distance. And there’s Bristol Bikefest in June which is not to be missed. Also very close to the Mendips, Quantocks and Forest of Dean and not too far from Cwmcarn and Afan. And loads of roadie stuff as well.

And they do a mean pint of cider down here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Salisbury? Reading?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve never lived in London, but have spent alot of time there as my 3 sisters and some friends have lived there on and off over the last 25 years. As far as entertainment and culture, there’s nothing else to compare in the UK.

IanW
    Free Member

I grew up between Leeds and Bradford and unless theres been some drastic makeover bradford was/is a bit of a dump, sorry Bradford.

If I was going to live back up there it would be Leeds as the nearest town and were exactly would depend on my job and expected commute.

Having said all that Im getting on a bit now and the Norths a bit too chilly for my taste. Brrr.

Try East Anglia, no mountains so no gears or bounce required. Great xc and its nice and warm!

donsimon
    Free Member

unless theres been some drastic makeover bradford was/is a bit of a dump

But you always have the Kash curry house on the doorstep. 😆

toys19
    Free Member

I’m reading this thread and find this whole conversation mind blowing. Where are you from? I’m from Exeter I was born 18 miles away and grew up 7 miles away. I went away to uni, then a differnt uni for my masters, and then I lived in Plymouth for a coupl of years before coming “home”. I couldnt contemplate anywhere else apart from Morzine…

So where do you belong, where are you friends and family?

bullheart
    Free Member

I still miss Leeds everyday. Great city, fairly small, lovely people, plenty of culture and nice standard of living. 30 mins in most directions takes you to great riding.
    🙁

TooTall
    Free Member

Bristol is rubbish – I agree with deadlydarcy.

Newcastle? You’d never understand the locals and they only have one consolidated view of cockernee types you might not appreciate!

Go and see TJ in Edinburgh and invite cynic-al around for a beer – I’d want that drunken conversation recorded.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Crewe…..then you will know how good you have got where you live now.

rOcKeTdOg

You are used to LOndon, but Bradford on a Saturday night is one of the scariest places I’ve been, you are right though, great countryside surrounding it, the midlands has decent riding, decent curries, good transport links and we don’t all live in Birmingham, It’s a bit far from the sea though

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve lived in for 3 year in Sheffield and Saltaire, Bradford for 5, now live in Baildon just up the road. I didn’t particularly like Sheffield.

Saltaire is a fantastic place, great riding literally on the door step. Good pubs and bars, train to Leeds 15 mins away and the ‘big city’ if you want it.

Cons. Bradford is a dump. I don’t know any one who goes in to it. The traffic in the area is bad.

If you want to know more just ask.

damo2576
    Free Member

I moved from Islington to Brighton for many of the same reasons as you.

Brighton’s quite good for riding with the South Downs on your doorstep and some decent Singletrack etc. Though not as good as other places up north obviously. Also a fairly lively city that doesnt feel too removed from London – and not far to commute occassionally – 50 mins on train.

philconsequence
    Free Member

april fools surely?

yossarian
    Free Member

Blimus!

Have you lived in London your whole life?

I guess the biggest decision to make is whether or not you want to be within a reasonable distance to travel back for family and friends. If the answer is yes then it’s the south east and home counties for you. Also if you’ve always been a city dweller be aware that a move to the countryside is very, VERY different. I get the impression that you like the hustle and bustle of city life? That’s pretty hard to replicate in the provinces!

We went through a relocation thought process a year or two back and spent a good 6 months or so visiting various parts of the UK with a view to moving. Our criteria was probably different to yours (you don’t have kids do you?) but it’s a useful process to go and visit other places over a period of time to get a feel for them. It kind of distills what you think you want into what you actually want if that makes sense?

bruneep

scotland is full. Stay away.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Ok. I'll be honest- I want to move out of London. Where to though?’ is closed to new replies.