Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Oil price in freefall, what will we see at the petrol pumps and utility bills ?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Oil down 6% today, Brent at $71.50 versus $110 a few months ago. 5yr low is $70 and it could go through that level as OPEC votes to maintain production. Lots of politics here as Russians highly dependent upon oil revenue and under pressure from sanctions over Ukraine too.

I know most of the price of petrol is tax and duty and I strongly suspect the various cancelled / delayed tax rises will be re-instated but I wonder how much of these falls we’ll actually see at the pumps ? Should be 20% pump price fall vs high’s.

The Energy companies will talk about having locked in prices but there must be pressure on for cuts there too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It would appear to be a deliberate ploy by OPEC to throttle the US shale industry.

Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldnt necessarily call it “throttle”, more the joy of markets at work – even one in which a cartel has such a big stake.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well throttle is my word, what word would you use ?

Stoner
    Free Member

“bid down”

It depends on whether you mean throttle in the sense to strangle and choke, or throttle in the sense to regulate the flow of fuel…

martinhutch

I’m off to bid down the kids. 🙂

leegee

Some say it’s a deliberate ploy. It makes life very uncomfortable for Putin.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well that sounds like a fancy term used by economists, I’m a building worker, throttle sounds fine to me !

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It makes life very uncomfortable for Putin.

Surely that depends on how easy/cheap Russian oil is to extract ? I have no idea the cost of extracting Russian oil.

It’s definitely bad news for difficult/expensive oil extraction such as shale and North Sea oil.

“Every decrease by a dollar is a negative for the North Sea”

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/27/plunging-oil-price-pressures-jobs-george-osborne-autumn-statement

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but I wonder how much of these falls we’ll actually see at the pumps ? Should be 20% pump price fall vs high’s.

So around say 145p/l to 120p/l? Like has happened?

Bear in mind a lot of the fuel price is fixed by tax, if oil was free it’d still cost 58p/l in tax. So a 20% drop in oil prices won’t mean a 20% drop at the pump.

Swelper
    Free Member

OPEC is a cartel. Throttle to me. Then the rig count can increase and exploration ramp up a notch. Which is already happening in the Middle East

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m certainly hoping for a drop in domestic heating oil price (as this isn’t affected by tax quite as much). Glad I didn’t top the tank off back in October (never done it in the last 13 years but may do if there’s a decent drop.)

Stoner
    Free Member

sharkbait – I just ordered a ton of wood pellets today. £258. Same as it was in 2011. It peaked at about £275/t in 2012 for me.

leegee
    torsoinalake
    Free Member

Is this ‘peak oil’ then?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Is this ‘peak oil’ then?

No – Peak oil is the theory that there is only a finite amount of oil and at some point we will produce x; there after production will always be less than x.

Currently production is rising rapidly (due to shale oil and other factors) and so the price is dropping. As the price drops producers (NOC’s and PLC’s) generally invest less in exploration and development. Eventually production drops below demand and the price rises… at which point producers invest to bring on more production… they eventually bring on too much and so on and so on…

onehundredthidiot

Was listening to prof Ian Stewart this afternoon. He said there is reckoned to be 80 Yeats worth of shale under America. OPEC are nervous.

andyl
    Free Member

Tis good news, but I doubt we will see much drop in pump prices so I won’t be ordering an American muscle car just yet.

mefty
    Free Member

The US market is rigged as well as there is essentially an export ban. The US thinks everyone else should have free markets, not so rigorous at home.

konabunny
    Free Member

the US is a net importer of energy – that rule wouldn’t increase global supply (and drop prices outside the US).

wilburt
    Free Member

I thought the reduction in oil price was due the US increasing production nothing to do with OPEC who were in fact taking the hit.

mefty
    Free Member

the US is a net importer of energy – that rule wouldn’t increase global supply (and drop prices outside the US)

Not suggesting it would, just illustrates their comfort with a bit (well alot) of protectionism, which is often forgotten.

Klunk
    Free Member

OPEC wants the us back in it’s SUVs

thooms
    Free Member

Time to buy a V8…

scaled
    Free Member

I don’t quite get this, the price of the raw material goes down, why the hell should the retailers drop the price when the consumers have, time and time again demonstrated that they’re prepared to pay the elevated prices.

There’s this sham of a free, capitalist market. If you want a regulated market follow places like Mexico, India and Brazil with regulated petroleum markets.

Oh no, hang on a sec, they’re all deregulating…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Was offline past few days so just responding

It would appear to be a deliberate ploy by OPEC to throttle the US shale industry.

@ernie
    the lowest cost US Shale Oil costs about $40 a barrel (average is higher but still below $70, the point with the US is that will buy domestically as first choice and now with shale they have a choice). It’s not just about production costs though its about what the countries need revenue wise from Oil. Saudi needs a price of $90 to balance it’s budget, a lot of middle eastern countries are in a similar position (Iran is off he charts as they need $130)

The big loser in this is Russia, they need $110 to balance their budget and with the financial markets cut off due to sanctions they are in trouble. Their currency has fallen 30% and their economy is heading for a deep recession.

If prices average $95 (ie way way above where they are today) airlines globally could make an extra $15bn in profits.

@thisisnot – I don’t follow the pump prices as I use so little petrol (3,000 miles pa) so that’s an interesting stat. I do fear an increase in taxes is on the way

irc

Re Peak Oil – we may already have passed peak oil for conventional production. After increasing from 1994-2005 it hasn’t increased for 9 years. USA Shale oil and Canadian syncrude have allowed global production to increase.

konabunny
    Free Member

The big loser in this is Russia, they need $110 to balance their budget and with the financial markets cut off due to sanctions they are in trouble.

Oil production costs are also very high in Russia (generally). Lower oil prices make a number of oil fields uneconomical.

Also, low oil prices make ISIS less profitable.

Having said that, OPEC is a very imperfect cartel and not all oil producers are members.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@thisisnot – I don’t follow the pump prices as I use so little petrol (3,000 miles pa) so that’s an interesting stat. I do fear an increase in taxes is on the way

Now’s a good time, prices seem to be droping almost 1p/week, even the local Esso is 117.9p. I think they should scrap the VAT on Fuel and put a fixed rate of tax on it (finger in the air, about 90p/l), so that changes in the price would be lessened, at the moment if prices go up then tax (as VAT) goes up with it. In the short term demand is failry constant, people don’t spend £50/week on petrol like they do groceries, they buy 50l/week and suck up the price making savings elsewhere.

the US is a net importer of energy

I think they’re now independant if you count Canada. They’re even looking into building LNG export facilities to export to China and Japan which is worrying the Australians who’s invested heavily in LNG export.

Long term investment is usualy based on a figure arround $75/barrel, anything else is a fluctuation. I think China will take up the slack very quickly regardless and we’ll be back to business as ususal in a year or so.

neilforrow

jambalaya – Member
    The big loser in this is Russia, they need $110 to balance their budget and with the financial markets cut off due to sanctions they are in trouble. Their currency has fallen 30% and their economy is heading for a deep recession.

To me this doesn’t look too far wrong.

thisisnotaspoon
    Long term investment is usualy based on a figure arround $75/barrel, anything else is a fluctuation. I think China will take up the slack very quickly regardless and we’ll be back to business as ususal in a year or so.

What about Russia and the impacts on other eastern euro countries? Considering current sanctions, the currency in medium term decline, other global forcing (OPEC production / china’s economic slowdown / Japans market volatility) do you think Russia has deep enough pockets to wait it out. It seems they are already getting nervous.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

For “OPEC” read “Saudi Arabia”.

They are trying to kill the competition by using their vast wealth to ride out the strategy. It will hit Iran, their enemy. It will also hit Russia, with whom the good old US of A are currently a bit upset.

Some might think there was a bit of a conspiracy going on there… I couldn’t possibly comment.

slowoldman

people don’t spend £50/week on petrol like they do groceries, they buy 50l/week and suck up the price making savings elsewhere.

I fill up when the tank’s empty.

Stoner
    Free Member

Amusing watching Ms Sturgeon on Sky the other day using OPEC forecasts of $100/b next year to make the case for oil bank-rolling the SNPs plans for Scotland. 2015 futures are all <$70…

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/energy/crude-oil/light-sweet-crude.html

binners

Will Hutton wrote an interesting piece on it in the Observer on Sunday on the economic opportunity offered by falling energy prices

lunge

scaled – Member
    I don’t quite get this, the price of the raw material goes down, why the hell should the retailers drop the price when the consumers have, time and time again demonstrated that they’re prepared to pay the elevated prices.

scaled makes a very, very good point. The market tolerates the prices at the current level so why would any self respecting retailer drop the prices?

jam-bo

The market tolerates the prices at the current level so why would any self respecting retailer drop the prices?

market share.

someone will drop the price to try and grab some extra custom and everyone else follows suit.

edit: and if they didn’t people would be squawking about price-fixing cartels. a bit like OPEC…

slowoldman

scaled makes a very, very good point. The market tolerates the prices at the current level so why would any self respecting retailer drop the prices?

Competition? If the price didn’t drop that would be an indication of price fixing.

D0NK

someone will drop the price to try and grab some extra custom and everyone else follows suit.

was going to say this, scaled does have a point tho, if the price went up to £3/l there will still be a queue at the pumps on sunday afternoons (or whatever day is “fill ‘er up” day in your area), so I don’t think anyone is going to drop their prices too far

(and iirc don’t prices rises happen instantly whereas cuts generally happen a little later)

seadog101

🙁

Not good for me. The ship I work on drills exploration wells for the oil companies. Its an expensive and risky business, so when prices are low, work dries up.

Maybe my job will dry up too. 😥

P-Jay
    Free Member

Old Man works for BapCo, and he reckons it’s a move to kill off the shale gas industry before it’s established.

As for fuel prices, Petrol and Diesel has been on the gradual slide for months now, I don’t take too much notice but it’s been ages since I managed to squeeze £80 in, I used to hit that with ease not long ago and my last car had a slightly smaller tank.

Perception is a funny thing though, fuel drops from £1.40 a litre to £1.20 and people start at least half-joking, half-thinking about getting something thirsty and loud, when it wasn’t long ago petrol went from 85p to £1 a litre and suddenly hybrids and diesels were the way and started the push that made the 50mpg the norm for economic cars and the previous ones that did 35mpg seem positively wasteful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Oil price in freefall, what will we see at the petrol pumps and utility bills ?’ is closed to new replies.