Oil for oak handrails & worktop?

Home Forum Chat Forum Oil for oak handrails & worktop?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Oil for oak handrails & worktop?
  • Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

In the process of renovating our new house and have put new, oak, handrails on the stairs and are sanding the kitchen worktops.

What’s a good oil for them? Wifey wants a low VOC as our daughter has asthma..

Stoner

I would use Osmo PolyX Hard Wax oil on the stairs, but my preference for worktops is 4 or 5 coats of Danish. No idea how they rate in terms of VOC though…

Stoner

BTW stevie, I’d not heard about VOC / Asthma link before and indeed there doesnt appear to be much in the way of a conclusive relationship.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25726560

Approximately equal numbers of studies reported that exposure increased risks and that exposure was not associated with any detrimental effects. The available evidence implicating domestic VOC exposure in the risk of developing and/or exacerbating asthma and allergy is of poor quality and inconsistent.

Premier Icon jeffl
    Subscriber

Osmo top oil FTW. Below is the only reference I can find to VOC…

INGREDIENTS
    Based on natural plant oils and waxes (sunflower
    oil, soya oil, thistle oil, carnauba wax and candelilla
    wax), paraffin, lead-free siccatives (drying agents) and
    water-repellent additives. Dearomatized white spirit
    (benzene-free). VOC classification in compliance with
    EU regulations (2004/42/EC): out of scope.

nickjb

Osmo top oil for the worktop. You can put the same stuff on the stairs if you like although I might be tempted to go for a polyurethane varnish for a more classic look.

deadlydarcy

Yep, Osmo for the stairs, top oil for worktop. You can also get the stair oil in a “raw” finish that leaves the oak closer to the pale unfinished shade. And also in darker shades too. Top stuff. Bear in mind that it might be a job you do, then leave the house for a night as it can take a while to dry.

newrobdob

I’ve got Matt Osmo top oil on my oak worktops and it’s brilliant. Slight smell on application and while it dries but fine after that. Not like the stench of the old fashioned Danish oil – which you have to put multiple coats on and keep putting them on, and danish also makes it look cheap and shiny – Osmo Matt top oil you can hardly tell it’s been put on.

Osmo do loads of oils for different applications, have a look at their website. They are very well regarded by everyone who uses their stuff.

lambchop

Osmo top oil for both applications. It’s tough as. I re finished 50 restaurant tables using it a few months ago. They don’t use table clothes and the tables get wiped and washed down many times daily. The Osmo is holding up really well and is easy to maintain.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.