Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Oil c/h thermostat question, help me understand…
  • rickmeister

Living here in Germany, oil c/h seems very common in our part of the Black Forest. Its wood or oil as gas supplies are very expensive.

What is frustrating me is the fact that our boiler is firing up a lot even though its warm in the house. It transpires that the thermostat to trigger the boiler is outside and set at 20 degrees. Apparently this is also very common too.

So, with the woodburner going I can be happily warm indoors, but outside its below 20 C and the boiler is firing needlessly.

Can I move the thermostat indoors or does it have to be outside ?
    Is this a usual way of setting up these boilers?

When I asked the local engineer, he just shrugged and said, thats how it is ..

Any advice, knowledge or reasoning here would help me understand whats going on…

Thanks

rwamartin
    Free Member

If it’s fundamentally like a uk system then there should be no reason why the stat. can’t move inside.

You could fit a wireless stat, using the outside stat wiring as the location for the receiver and have the stat inside, moving it around as you require.

Some heatpumps use an outside stat as well as an inside one, but this doesn’t sound like the case here.

Rich.

RustyMac

I have heard of outside thermostats when a boiler is located outside being used as frost stats, however the temperature for activation is a lot lower than 20C. I would be wary of just moving it inside.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it a combi with an internal instant hot water tank ?

is it firing to keep this at the correct temp – ours randomly fires to keep this war – but not “lots”

we have internal and external stats on ours.

internal is the temperature i request on the wireless unit and the external is the frost stat which overrides my requests and keeps the temp in the boiler and system up to avoid freezing as my boiler is external. this is set at +3 – are you sure its not a translation thing and the stat outside is set at “2” (i dont know german numbers – does 2 sound like 20 ? )

seems a very strange set up to have an external stat set to 20 – surely your heatings perminantly on bar mid summer ?

i have had it in the past where the heating only had a timer/on/off and no stat in the house and only the frost stat outside….

stumpy01

Doesn’t sound right, if that genuinely is the thermostat that controls the temperature the system is trying to achieve. As trail_rat says; surely the system would be on for most of the year, apart from summer time?

rickmeister

Thanks for the replies.

Boiler is internal in its own room downstairs. Its not a combi… The 35kw burner is sat on top of the hot water tank in two separate boxes. We have tried to get an oil combi, so even though Worcester Bosch is part German, they don’t sell them here and the ones available are eye wateringly expensive. System boilers and solar are the main types, but again, very very expensive.

We basically switch all heating off in the summer and it just fires for hot water.

I think part of the problem is it is old technology. Is fitting a new thermostat a difficult job in its own right, given that at a very basic level its a temperature controlled on off switch ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

shouldnt be that hard – i know fitting mine wasnt hard….

but dont know the ins and outs of what you have.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Oil c/h thermostat question, help me understand…’ is closed to new replies.