Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Oi! Clever bell.
  • adsbatts89
    Free Member

This thing actually looks pretty cool for a bike bell!

whitestone
    Free Member

$600,000 for a bell is pretty steep, I’d best get saving 🙄

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

More kickstarted stupidity.

I thought that Knog might know better. Then I remembered it’s Knog.

nickjb
    Free Member

Bit unsure on this one. I like jangly bells rather than ding ones so I’m out, but actually they do stick up a but and I get mine snagged or bashed occasionally so I’m back in as this is quite neat, but then its $28 so I’m definitely out

STATO
    Free Member

Yeah I was going to get one then realised it about £15, ill wait till they are in the shops and the sales start.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bells: Rude, pointless things. It’s quite simple: When approaching other path users, you slow down, you say “excuse me, would you mind if I got by?”, say thank you and move on.

All a bell says is “get out of my way, I’m coming through”.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

just shout “ding ding”

always raises a smile

fasthaggis

If I wanted to get all spendy over a wee ringer,it would be this one.

fasthaggis

Not to me,I love the sound of a bike bells.

ransos
    Free Member

No, that’s a car horn. A bell says “would you mind letting me by? Thank you so much.”

zilog6128

A bell says “would you mind letting me by? Thank you so much.”

Thing is, I’ve had different reactions from pedestrians (normally red socks who are obviously just spoiling for an argument). Sometimes ringing a bell is met with “Don’t ring that **** thing at me”, sometimes you say “excuse me” only for them to answer “where’s your **** bell?”. Can’t win really! 🙂

Do quite like the look of the bell in the OP though. Plus more Ti is never a bad thing!

STATO
    Free Member

Sometimes ringing a bell is met with “Don’t ring that **** thing at me”, sometimes you say “excuse me” only for them to answer “where’s your **** bell?”. Can’t win really!

That’s why you ring the bell and shout Hi at the same time, followed by a wave as the turn around, Win win 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like the small one, I’d like it even more if it integrated into an ODI clamp to hide it further?

Can’t help but think on the bigger one something about the minimalist look get’s lost in scaling it up though. It just looks like a bell that’s wrapped round the bars.

ransos
    Free Member

Can’t win really!

I dunno, in both your examples you’ve got their attention, which is the point, isn’t it?

If anyone complains about not ringing your bell, it’s time to do your best Leslie Phillips impression…

jekkyl

mikey74 – Member
    Bells: Rude, pointless things. It’s quite simple: When approaching other path users, you slow down, you say “excuse me, would you mind if I got by?”, say thank you and move on.

I’m guessing Mikey you don’t cycle on canals very often?
    Where I ride on canals to get to the trails very often at the weekends there’s a lot of people walking away from me so if I didn’t have a bell I’d be shouting ‘excuse me, would you mind if I got by?’ every few seconds. A bell can be heard from much further away and comepletes avoids me having to interact with any members of the dog walking public.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

This thing actually looks pretty cool for a bike bell!

Said no-one ever!

I like to freewheel up behind people and just shout random things very loudly. “Grenade!” works really well.

slowoldman

$26 actually. I think it looks quite nice for i already have a Spurcycles bell so I’m oot.

Not to me,I love the sound of a bike bells

Me too, reminds of a bygone age. Church bells, cricket on the green, young boys in the park, jumpers for goal posts.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I like to freewheel up behind people and just shout random things very loudly. “Grenade!” works really well.

Funny!

I know someone who has a rubber chicken attached to his handlebars which makes a squawking sound.

I like it and might just buy one.

You lot need to get over yourselves mikey74 and gofasterstripes it’s just a bell and different – people endlessly accessorize their bikes, whether it’s colour coordinated stems and headset cups or just saddlebags and pumps. I’ll wager you made a colour/design choice of component or accessory that others would think ****.

adsbatts89
    Free Member

I think it looks pretty cool. I normally don’t like bike bells too as they ruin the symmetry of my bike and has MASSIVE aerodynamic effects which will ruin my constant KOMmage. I’ll get one of these when they are on shop shelves.

drlex
    Free Member

I had a comedy car horn (think Harpo Marx) from the pound shop, which made most folk smile. Alas, detached and got squashed. Have signed up; buoyed after HebTroCo success.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m guessing Mikey you don’t cycle on canals very often?

Not canals, but I do frequently cycle on a busy, disused railway line that is a main bridleway between towns, awash with runners, ramblers and dog walkers.

slowoldman

awash!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’ll wager you made a colour/design choice of component or accessory that others would think ****.

wat

It’s overpriced crap. I made one of these in sodding secondary school and then turned it into a windchime for my mum. Seriously, you think I need to get over myself? HA!

$26 FFS. I give it a few months till somebody slaps the clip on GrabCAD. You could knock them out with a lathe a hacksaw and file then. But, as I said it’s Knog, the eternal promoter of the “wacky”, overpriced and probably imported-from-China-and-sold-in-an-organic-cardboard tripe.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ll wager you made a colour/design choice of component or accessory that others would think ****.

Nope. Waste of time and money.

ocrider

It’s a great idea, but as it’s Knog and they’re kickstarting it, it’s a monotone xylophone. I’m oot.

alfabus
    Free Member

Looks like a great idea, but I’m still boycotting Knog because the ruined the STW calendar a few years back.

Dave

devash
    Free Member

Thing is, I’ve had different reactions from pedestrians (normally red socks who are obviously just spoiling for an argument). Sometimes ringing a bell is met with “Don’t ring that **** thing at me”, sometimes you say “excuse me” only for them to answer “where’s your **** bell?”. Can’t win really!
    Do quite like the look of the bell in the OP though. Plus more Ti is never a bad thing!

I get this from older walkers sometimes when I’m riding in the Dales or North Yorks Moors. Catch 22 situation.

I’ve resorted to shouting AND ringing the bell. Cover all bases.

chewkw
    Free Member

I like! :mrgreen:

joshvegas
    Free Member

ruin the symmetry of my bike

List od non symetrical things on a bike.

Front wheel
    Back wheel
    Frame
    Cranks
    Deraileur
    Front deraileur (or lack of front shifter)
    Brakess
    Cabling.
    Stems to steerer clamp.
    Seatpos clamp.
    Chain.
    Bottom bracket.
    Cassette.
    Forks.
    Skewers.

Infact the only things i can think of that aren’t are…

Seatpost
    Seat
    Headset
    Handlebars.

Northwind

I like that tbh. They should make it tunable, with a selection of “bars” instead of one ping only.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Infact the only things i can think of that aren’t are…

Seatpost
    Seat
    Headset
    Handlebars.

You’re assuming you managed to bolt it on straight, m8.

callmetc
    Free Member

Was interested. Thinking it would be about 2.50 or a fiver max.

Saw the price, closed the tab, will continue the lottery of saying excuse me, coughing or being a ignorant **** and just barging through the first gap I see.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I like that tbh. They should make it tunable, with a selection of “bars” instead of one ping only.

And a wee mallet on a string.

amedias
    Free Member

from the KS page…

From left to right: Aluminium, Titanium, Brass, Copper, Black

So what exactly is ‘Black’? could be some new super light weight but infinitely strong option for making vertically compliant yet laterally stiff bells? I think we should back this project, if it goes well maybe we can get an entire bike made out of ‘Black’ !

Drac
    jonwe
    Free Member

What I really want though is an air-horn on the bike that plays dixie.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Pointless. Isn’t this what Hope free hubs are for?

cookeaa

Northwind – Member

But Sometimes you want one ping only…

[video]https://youtu.be/UeO4SV-wghs[/video]

Most of my tow path encounters are just like that…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Oi! Clever bell.’ is closed to new replies.