Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ohlins shock spring rate calculator?
  • Jordan

Hi Folks. Can anyone comment on the accuracy of the Ohlins shock spring rate calculator? I assume it takes into account the suspension leverage curve as it has my bike in the database? Just wondering if it has proven to be reliable for people.

nickc

In what respect? I’ve an Ohlins on the back on my Spesh Enduro, and the firmer spring I bought is a bit firmer than the spring that it’s replaced. What bike are you on, what are you hoping to achieve by swapping springs?

Jordan

I’m just wondering if the calculator gives accurate results from peoples real world experiences. The stock shock is too soft for me and I was going to buy one based on their recommended spring rate.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyrm
    Free Member

Looks about right. I put all my details in, and it recommended me a spring 15lb lighter than the TFTuned one does, which obviously doesn’t account for different shock brands. The TFTuned one gave the same recommendation as the MRP one, so I’m confident as I can be that the ohlins one is about right too.

nickc

I think Ohlins fork springs are too hard, but their shock spring rates are about right. I went up the next spring rate up, and I run the shock in the open setting pretty much all the time now apart from really long climbs, and it feels good to me.

Jordan

OK cheers folks. I’ll go with what it says then.

Jordan

And another quick question. When weighing myself I loaded myself up with all my gear. Water, tools etc. That put me at 89kg and a recommended 571lbs spring. It’s more than likely that the water is actually going to go in the bottle cage low on the frame where I think it will have less effect on the suspension. Some of the tools might go the same way also. Plus I’m carrying a bit of extra gut at the moment which is hoefully going to go so I could easilly end up a kilo or two lighter.

When I input 87/88kg into the calculator it recommends a 548lbs spring. In this case which of the two should I be choosing? As you can probably tell, I’m new to coil shocks.

nickc

Depends on the bike’s suspension characteristics as well as your weight really. My Spesh has a slight progression, but is mostly linear, so it will go through it’s travel, I’m about 78kgs in riding gear and water, and I’m on a 525lbs spring with about 3-4 full turns of pre-load, and I’d say I’m slightly over sprung. Where you keep water on the bike isn’t going to affect it much I’d have thought.

Does that help?

Edit: I have 3 springs for my Ohlins Forks and a lighter spare for the coil, just so I can adjust for what/where I’m riding.

Jordan

Ah, interesting. Well, the bike is a HB130 and I think the suspension curve is fairly progressive from what I’ve seen, around 22% through it’s range.

The stock spring is 502lbs and I can get correct sag with just over four full turns of preload but the manual says pretty specificaly that you should apply no more than two turns of preload.

nickc

Would be worth chatting to the guys at Hope as well, let them know your weight and the sorts of riding you’ll be doing and they should be able to steer you better I’d have thought.

SirHC

I’d say it’s pretty close.

I’m on an Enduro with a TTX and Lyrik, setup when it’s dry/faster trails will be a 548 spring (63mm stroke, I found the 57mm to be harsh) and 85psi in the forks. Currently I’m 525 and 82psi, as the trails are soaked and I’m looking for grip. (FYI, I’m 200lbs and don’t ride with a backpack)

I find that JTech and TF put you on a much higher spring rate. Was over 50lbs out when I bought a stumpy Evo recently! Told I need a 650, rode a 550 and far better, 600 would of maybe been a bit better on the flatter stuff. Ultimately an air shock was better for the bike.

mehr
    Free Member

I’ve always found that the TF tuned spring calculator put me way under but thats with Fox shocks

Jordan

Cheers folks! I will have a word with the Hope guys but was hoping to get it sorted before they are back in the new year. Anyway, I’m prepared to do a bit of experimeting with spring rates but don’t want to change the spring too many times. I will be costly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ohlins shock spring rate calculator?’ is closed to new replies.