Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ohlins Fork Recall
  • escrs
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

Don’t know about anyone else but I find recalls like this reassuring that there is some form of quality and responsibility in place. Unlike other companies who ignore obvious defects.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Isn’t the solution just torquing them up, maybe using a bit if loctite?

Tracey

Yep they are really on the ball. We had a phone call from the UK on Tuesday informing us on it. Helpful and informative.

Solution may or may not be that. In the end its up to Specialized who speced the forks on the bike to ensure that they take all the precautions for rider safety.

SirHC

@Onzadog that’s if they know what torque it should be done to! Top cap won’t be the easiest thing to measure, compared to a normal bolt.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Isn’t the solution just torquing them up, maybe using a bit if loctite

Depends if the thread is failing and firing out the top of the leg like the old manitou ones ….fork compressed you got hit in the face with a placky fork cap lol.

onehundredthidiot

Emailed ohlins this morning reply:

Hello 100th

It concerns the RXF 34 and RXF36 air forks. So coil Forks aren’t affected.

We are currently checking which products and productions have the problem.

The procedure to follow will be published by us asap.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Best regards

Laurent Schumacher
    Aftersales

tdog
    Free Member

Still forking shocking if you ask me that they left it this long and had this issue.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends if the thread is failing and firing out the top of the leg like the old manitou ones ….fork compressed you got hit in the face with a placky fork cap lol.

I remember it. Bruised ribs because the plastics threads weren’t up to it.

The recall notice doesn’t say threads are the problem, it specifically mentions the torque.

jamj1974

Solution may or may not be that. In the end its up to Specialized who speced the forks on the bike to ensure that they take all the precautions for rider safety.

Not if you didn’t get them through Specialized – like me…

Tracey

I was on about our circumstances above and how Specialized are dealing with it. Part of a recall is to find out how much of a problem it is. The other part is to keep the customer informed and hopefully happy with the outcome.

Unless you bought them second-hand you should get the same rights on a recall than if they had come on a bike.

jamj1974

^^ Apologies Tracey – I did type a winking emoji that hasn’t appeared.  No criticism was intended.

onehundredthidiot

Even second hand you should get the same rights on recall.

I had and issue with a shock, after a few emails ohlins told me they’d be sending out a fix for me with instructions if I felt I was reasonably technically competent.

The fix turned out to be a new stx22 shock.

I’m fairly sure ohlins will sort it. Specialized seem to be the ohlins distributer in the UK.

jamj1974

Mine are new.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Bugger! Bought mine 2nd hand and I’m now in Hong Kong – this could be a very long winded fix…

…Think i’ll just keep on riding and keep checking everything is tight – eeks

Tracey

No need for apologies. I’m not usually up that early but Abigale had an early start for day two practice before tonight’s urban stage in Ainsa.

If you bought them new and haven’t had the phone call then I would be ringing them today to see how they are going to deal with it.

jamj1974

I will be for sure.

beer247
    Free Member

I’ve just contacted the shop where i bought mine. Same response as everyone else – stop riding!

Was supposed to be out riding all weekend so thought i’d see if i could pick up a pair of stand-in forks….

Then remembered i would need to buy a crown race for the new forks (Ohlins is integrated) and a new lower headset bearing!

Aggghhhhh

julians
    Free Member

Same response as everyone else – stop riding!

Its obviously up to how risk averse you are,but I’d just check the top cap is tight before every ride and carry on riding as usual, most likely it’ll be fine.

I suspect the risk of the fork failing if you check the top cap regularly is substantially lower than the risk of you just having a crash anyway.

SirHC

Anyone heard anything from Specialized or Ohlins?

taxi25
    Free Member

<i>Specifically, the right-side top cap on some forks may not be adequately torqued which in some cases may lead to the top cap working itself free through riding. </i>

If that’s all the problem is, all a recall would involve is to ask people to check the top cap is tight or to drop it into a service centre to check it for you. I’d just check it myself if thats all it was. Has anyone had any further info ?

SirHC

If that’s all the problem is, all a recall would involve is to ask people to check the top cap is tight or to drop it into a service centre to check it for you. I’d just check it myself if thats all it was. Has anyone had any further info ?

I’d want a new top cap fitted in case it’s come lose and damaged the threads. Alternatively, a set of Lyriks/Pikes

warpcow
    Free Member

Update on Öhlins website says they have a fix, but it has to be approved by some American consumer authority type thingy before they can tell anyone the super-secet details of how to apply loctite to threads.  Why that means all their customer outside the US should wait is unclear.

simondbarnes

Forks recalled to have the right side top cap serviced (tightened to the specified torque)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ohlins Fork Recall’ is closed to new replies.