Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Oh s**t – I need to buy a BSO… recommendations please!
  • poly
    Free Member

My father (in his 60s) rides an old £80 BSO that came from Argos 15 yrs ago. Now that he is retired he is riding it quite a bit but its got some issues that need repairing, and my mother has suggested we all club together and buy a replacement for his birthday. I have been appointed with selecting the purchase…

…I enquired about budget and have been told “seriously don’t go over the top as he really won’t want that, £200 should be our absolute limit (but less is fine if you can find something suitable!)” now my brother and I will increase our contributions towards that total budget so £250-£300 is the true budget (and she needn’t know!). So not quite BSO – but certainly not what people here typically buy!

He rides quiet back roads, sustrans and towpath type surfaces. He doesn’t do any proper off road. He only rides flat bars, and flat pedals. So I think we are looking Hybrid, No Suspension, Rim brakes. Current bike is 26″ wheel, 22″ frame (with quite a long stem).

Anyone spotted any bargains at that end of the market?

Scapegoat

Carera Subway

somafunk

Don’t immediatty turn your nose up at this suggestion but have you checked out the Carrera range of Hybrids at Halfords?, I bought my parents Carrera hybrid’s a few years ago and they are helluva good value bikes for the money, very light and well equipped compared to others brands i viewed at the time Carrera Hybrid 50% off, £199.

I wouldn’t bother with anything that comes with front suspension as all your gaining at such a low price point is added weight and downgraded components.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also depending on yous spares box I’d consider swapping out bars/stem & seatpost as some of the BSO’s have them made of what appears to be solid Weightium. You could always use the removed bars as an extra lever on tools etc.

chip
    Free Member

I have a subway ltd edition as above as my commuter hack.
    It has been an excellent bike for the money.

I would suggest putting the extra money you and your brother are providing on replacing the original tyres straight off for some puncture resistant tyres, I put conti travel contacts on mine a year ago and not one puncture since. Or others are schwalbe marathons I think, ether way you will be doing him a great service as the originals tyres are pants.

andyl
    Free Member
    Trekster

Entering my 60s and would recommend disc brakes to future proof against aches’n pains, cost of rims, pads etc. Rack & panniers if you can afford 💡

tomd
    Free Member

I would suggest putting the extra money you and your brother are providing on replacing the original tyres straight off for some puncture resistant tyres, I put conti travel contacts on mine a year ago and not one puncture since. Or others are schwalbe marathons I think, ether way you will be doing him a great service as the originals tyres are pants.

I think this is good advice. You could get a perfectly good and functional bike from Decathlon or Halfords for £200. Put the extra towards a set of good tyres, mudguards, comfy grips, saddle etc. Things that would really improve comfort and enjoyment on the bike.

shermer75
    Free Member

What does BSO stand for?

rob81
    Free Member

BSO = bike shaped object

Brother_Will
    Free Member

BSO = Bike Shaped Object, the derogatory catch all term the bike industry uses for supermarket bikes.

It pains me to say this but yes the Halfords Carrera will give you the most for your money, never pay full price though they are always on offer and the prices are artificially kept high so they can be discounted.

Nick

Bicycle Shaped Object

shermer75
    Free Member

An, thanks for that.

shermer75
    Free Member

Fwiw I’ll add to the Halfords love-in: my friend has a Subway, it seems fine. When I rode it worked, nothing seemed about to fall off and the fork was on the right way round. They seem good for the money, to be honest…

kcal

Going to be something on a par with (but cheaper) the Specialized Crossroads isn’t it? (edit – that seems to have sus. forks now!!)

As above, no to sus. forks – get bigger tyres..

Edinburgh Bicycle Revolution Streetfinder ’13 – Large – £229.99 ??
    Or their disc courier versions — Courier Race Disc – £299.99
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-streetfinder-13?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2fcommuter-hybrid-bikes

mogrim

Another add-on you might want to think about is a proper track pump, I bought my dad one and he was amazed at the difference proper tyre pressure makes. It’s also a lot easier to use than a hand pump, worth considering as you get older.

poly
    Free Member

Entering my 60s and would recommend disc brakes to future proof against aches’n pains, cost of rims, pads etc. Rack & panniers if you can afford

He’s nowhere near wearing out the rims on his current bike. My perception – which may be wrong – is that disk pads cost just as much and need replacing just as often as traditional blocks? He usually does 20 miles at most in a day, and certainly would never go overnight so not sure that there is any need for a rack & panniers.

What does BSO stand for?

Shermer – BSO = Bike Shaped Object, general derogatory term for heavy supermarket bikes.

I’m slightly surprised that everything suggested so far is: (i) 26″ wheel – where hybrids not more commonly 700c before the 29″ MTB craze started? (ii) Are really “MTB” styled – with chunky tyres etc. Where are the 700c flat bar road bikes – perhaps along these lines: http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-courier-race-13?bct=browse%2fbicycles%2fcommuter-hybrid-bikes

poly
    Free Member

He has a compressor – so track pump is probably less of a concern. I’d rather spend the £ on the bike and then add ons at Father’s day.

atlaz
    Free Member

Halfords have a 650b Carrera Titan at 300 quid down from 600. Put something a bit better rolling if needed and that would be pretty good.

cookeaa

Subway FTW, fits in your budget and is a pretty capable bike, more like an MTB than a Hybrid I suppose but maybe that’s a good thing,

it’s also worth considering accessories too, my Dad’s well in his 60’s has ridden MTBs with me since the 80’s, Road bikes before that since the 60’s but his general approach to cycling has become quite pragmatic over the last decade or so:

He goes off road less these days, He won’t ride a bike without a frame fit pump, and spare tubes & tools in a frame or bar bag, Also He much prefers riding a bike with guards (Full Guards ideally) and He’s convinced that more motorists are trying to kill him so I added a few bits of reflective tape to his bike in useful spots, fitted a couple of blinky rear LEDs and got him a Yellow Hi-Viz which he wears (But Seldom dons a helmet)…

The bits to go with the bike are handy, as they can be wrapped up as separate little pressies from any Grandchildren…

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Decathlon have a flat bar road bike type thing for £250:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-3-road-bike-grey-id_8239797.html

core

Have you thought about Pinnacle? Evans’ own brand

alpin
    Free Member

bought my lil sis a Carrera Subway about five years ago. there is not a thing wrong with it, other than the cobwebs…. and the chain is a little dry. but other than that it is a great little bike. i’m sure if she rode it would still be fine (and not so fat).

poly
    Free Member

thanks – I wasn’t aware Pinnacle were Evans own brand that might help understand them. my quick look at Decathlon hadn’t found that – but its got potential.

the carrera titan initially looks like a good deal (except its not the spec I was looking for) but noone paid £600 for Suntour forks and mechanical disks did they? I always treat Halfords discounts a bit like DFS ones…

nedrapier

Try triton cycles. I get their email flyers and they sems to have a good range of bikes in the couple to few hundred pound bracket.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Oh s**t – I need to buy a BSO… recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.