Oh one 456 evo review?

Home Forum Bike Forum Oh one 456 evo review?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Oh one 456 evo review?
  • spudly1979

Can’t seem to find much in the way of a review of how this rides, but been about for a while. Has anyone got one and would recommend?

Also, if you’re out there Brant, when are the raw frames due back in stock?

ahhhjrene

I’ve got one, its alright. I run it at 130mm otherwise it feels less than alright, will run it shorter still with a Works headset. It’s grand at speed and deals with the steep well. I’d like it to have a lower bb drop but that’s just me.

Climbs well.

Boom, review done.

mangatank

Some ti 456 stuff here, though not much in terms of ride experiences, other than mine I’m afraid. Same frame design as the steel 456 though. There’s a pretty well attended On One forum at mtbr.com. Loads of Evo stuff on there.

456evo thread 01

456evo thread 02

SOAP

I got told they would be in stock at the beginning of August and the colours would be raw and paprika.

SOAP

Must be pants if only 2 people have them. 😉

mangatank

You kinda have a point there! Personally I absolutely love it but it’s a lonely owner experience with the Ti version 😥

deviant

I have one.

I was going to buy a Summer Season a few years ago but went the full suspension route in the end….anyway that bike got nicked (Saracen Ariel) and i decided to itch the scratch and get my first steel hardtail.

I love it.

The 140mm coil sprung Sektors are great and the frame geometry is confidence inspiring when pointing downhill.
    It doesnt climb as well as the previous full susser i had but i can live with that, i love the simplicity and lack of maintenance with a hardtail.
    The bike is stunning, the raw finish looks great and it looks like it could survive a nuclear explosion.

Initially i wondered what all the fuss was about, yes it was more forgiving than an aluminium hardtail i’d owned recently but i seemed to be missing this ‘springy’ feel that everybody raves about with steel….it all came together on a recent ride when i let the brakes off on a downhill section and purposely left them off despite my brain screaming at me otherwise….the bike was superb, the forks did their thing and i just hung on….true enough it did seem to ‘come alive’ as described in many reviews and i was chuffed to bits at the bottom…basically the faster you go the better this frame seems to respond.

Now i wouldnt swap it for anything, its a keeper and so cheap that i can justify adding a full suspension bike if i go back to that kind of racing…i’m intrigued to try the Evo out on a mini-DH course so i might do that this winter before commiting to FS again.

loughor

Hi, sorry to resurrect the thread, twas my ti 456 evo in thread one above. A few comments from an enthusiastic, and unashamed convert. I hate MTB cliche so i will try to be honest. I have 7 bikes, all MTB and ride daily (my commute is through country park).
    The 456 cost a bit, I appreciate, but it was a present to myself, the bike I promised myself ‘one day’ if you like. Mangatank above gives an accurate account, in terms I am not able to replicate, but I agree with him entirely.
    The 456 evo is incredible. As an aging idiot, my times are being impossibly improved beyond anything I expected (I don’t race, only strava-ddiction). The bike seems to encourage out of saddle climbing, and downhill I risk more than ever, without ever being scared. The bike seems to disappear beneath me (I’m a literature graduate, no scientist!), and scary things previously have become like competetive friends. Love them, but can ignore their dangers, because I’ve found a partner that breezes me through the rocky stuff.
    In all, without becoming starry eyed, for a ‘normal’ (I think) MTB rider with a love of MTB beyond the reason of my wife and friends, this bike would be the first thing I saved in a house fire. It IS that good. IMHO.
    Luvnkisses, and thanks.

Janesy

The bike seems to encourage out of saddle climbing

So it cant climb then. I’m guessing it steers like a boat due to its head angle and long forks, much like my 456, I run mine with 100mm.

loughor

Janesy. Um, no.

loughor

In fact, on reflection, Janesy, your elbow is half way down your arm, your a**e is probably below your nose.

i’d owned recently but i seemed to be missing this ‘springy’ feel that everybody raves about with steel….

Assuming it’s a similar construction to the original 456, it’s definately at the “steel for robustness” end fo the spectrum rather than the “steel is forgiving”. I crashed, banged, threw into uplift vans, abused, jumped and generaly neglected mine. Then sold it with “a few cosmetic marks” for £10 less than I paid!

If you want springy steel it does exist, but at the more XC end of the market. My criticism of the 456 would be it was almost a bit “dead” feeling, it was neither springy enough to be alive, or stiff/imediate/light enough to be zippy. It felt like a prototype they’d used to get the geometry spot on, but hadn’t got the tubing right yet. I reckoned it’d make a better bike from alumninium and built stiff. It wasn’t a deal breaker though and I’d have another one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Oh one 456 evo review?’ is closed to new replies.