Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oh no…Shimano launch a new disc brake standard
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

Introducing Flat Mount for road bikes.

Key advantages over current available mountain bike disc mount structures are:

A cleaner, integrated construction with the frame (no visible mounting bolts)
    A more direct connection to the frame and better alignment (eliminates stacking
    adapters)
    Easier tool access for disc caliper adjustment (even inside rear triangle)
    Backwards compatibility with mountain bike style post mount calipers (with an adapter)

wwaswas

Shimano launch a new disc brake non-standard

ftfy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mindmap3
    Free Member

That looks like the old Hayes mount used by Gary Fisher and Trek back in the day.

thepodge
    Free Member

Backwards compatibility with mountain bike style post mount calipers (with an adapter)

nice to see

cliffyc
    Free Member

Just means another adaptor?

brant
    Free Member

Sexy though innit

We fell over this in a tech pack a few months ago.
    Had us scratching our heads for a bit.

andyl
    Free Member

no spoons 🙁

buck53

Sexy though innit

I know you’ve got a lot of free time at the moment, but not everything you find on the Internet has to be sexy. 😉 Particularly a brake mount.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Brant, not my first thought and as I look at it again I still don’t get it.

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Surely anything over a 140 rotor would require an adaptor though?

But does fit its intended use for road bikes as total weight saved on frame and adaptors should not be insignificant…

cookeaa

Here we go again then…

Does it integrate nicely with hidden hoses/cabling?
    You know just to make something as simple as fitting a rear brake inordinately fiddly, time consuming and frustrating?

Just you lot wait, first awsome new mounts, then it’ll be “Blended” Aero style caliper bodies (Front and rear specific of course), then they’ll make them out of Carbon (what else) and before you know it the roadies will have out done us MTBist by having barely visible, feather weight disc brakes that cost £500 an end, and you absolutely must have if you plan on entering a sportive… and then they’ll turn up on MTBs.

Its a brave new world folks!
    But I’d be holding off buying a new road bike for a good couple of years yet…

Onzadog
    Free Member

The great thing about standards, it there are so many to choose from.

maxtorque

It’s clearly going to be expensive, needing special “invisible” mounting bolts (which no doubt you will loose when you put them down somewhere mid pad change……)

Seriously, unless i’m missing something i can’t actually see any real advantage? Other than being different?

riddoch

Is the advantage (for shimano) that a frame designed for thus style will only be able to use shimano brakes?

cookeaa

I reckon its primarily an aesthetic thing, Raodies like, sleek sexy lines they don’t like bumpy items sticking out like bolt heads or messy cables/hoses cluttering up the exterior of their bicycle being all accessible…

Hide it. Hide it all!

The more like an industrial designer’s concept model you can make a production bicycle look the more they will love it…

D0NK

I reckon its primarily an aesthetic thing, Raodies like, sleek sexy lines

hmm could be, would be a subtle way to sneak forward disc compatibility into frame/forks too.

[s]I assume there is enough distance on the slider to manage atleast 2 different rotor sizes, 140&160? can’t see many roadies going for a 200/180 F/R setup. that will mean no need for an adaptor, so a minor improvement there but it’s a sledgehammer walnut scenario.[/s]

scratch that, I thought the purple bit in that second pic was a slide mount of some sort, on a seccond look I think it’s just a mount so probably means a specific calliper for a given rotor size, a backward(ish*) step to IS days then 👿

*PM and adaptors are better for compatibility and readjusting your brake while out on the trail (usually badly) but atleast with IS your callipers were guaranteed to be aligned with your rotors.

wwaswas

We’ll be back to the old rotor size specific calipers before you know it 🙂

cookeaa

This all assumes they go for the same nice round numbers,

136mm Rotor sir?
    Oh its for the front sorry, you’ll be needing 157.5mm and probably a new front hub with a marginally different spline pattern…

Not that I’m a cynic…

honourablegeorge

tomcanbefound – Member

Yep – but it’s backwards compatible with existing calipers and rotors if you use an adapter.

So as new standards go, it’s OK by me – it’s the ones that bake all your old kit incompatible that piss me off.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Oh no…Shimano launch a new disc brake standard’ is closed to new replies.