Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Oh no, i've just bought a road bike (Merlin Ti content)
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Where do I start, my GF borrowed a friends road bike to maintain some fitness whilst we hear from insurance company regarding our recent burglary (bikes stolen etc).

This road bike is too big for Sarah so I thought id give it a try and see how quickly I could ride to work, 10 miles with hills took me 30 mins (which is 15mins quicker than rush hour traffic – bonus)

So I was browsing e-bay and came across this with only 4 mins remaining:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160494766208&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123#ht_584wt_1141

So with only 3 mins of research I sniper bidded at 15secs and won it (yipee – i think?)

So, does anyone have any experience with this kind of bike or can anyone tell me more about this ‘type’ of bike i.e will it be ok for the odd commute and weekly rides with rodie friends?

(Can you tell i know fek all about road bikes 😀 )

psychle
    Free Member

that’s pretty bloody tasty for the money… gotta love an impulse ebay purchase, I’m often guilty of the same thing 😳

oxnop
    Free Member

gotta love an impulse ebay purchase, I’m often guilty of the same thing

Yep i noticed.

Will it fit me though????

psychle
    Free Member

dunno… how tall are you?

monksie
    Free Member

That’s a very nice bike, well done.
    Are you between 5’10” and 6’1″? You shoud be able to change the odd thing like stem length, rise, bar reach and width without upsetting the handling much and be able to get comfy if you are, I’d reckon.
    Im 5’9″ and that size would be ‘just’ too big for me.
    That needs to be ridden a long time, lots. I think it’s too nice for commuting. Mid and top end componets. The more I look at it, the more I like it. That’s a very good buy

oxnop
    Free Member

dunno… how tall are you?

Are you between 5’10” and 6’1″?

Im 5 11″ so hopefully from what you are saying I should be ok but I know I may need to change stem/bars etc.

I think it’s too nice for commuting

Im getting that impression – But I was looking for a new decent audax and id have paid circa £1.3k plus i wouldnt want to look at it as much!!

I just hope I havent been scammed !!! I have sent a question so will wait for a response before paying.

monksie
    Free Member

You’ll fit it fine at 5’11”
    Audax? Stop that nonsense talk at once 🙂
    If you can’t collect in person, pay through Paypal, they’ll protect your purchase money and the seller has 100% feedback so I’d not be worried at all.
    You’ll be fine, I’m sure.
    Enjoy your new bike, I’d be well chuffed.

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks Monksie – Lots of help and good advice for a roadie virgin 😀

Can anyone recommend me some good road gear? or online places to buy from?

tang
    Free Member

wish my first road bike was that nice! mine was out of a skip.

aP
    Free Member

55cm top tube? Quite short for 5’11” IMHO, I’m 5’8″ and ride 56.5cm tt road bikes and 55cm tt cx bikes.

oxnop
    Free Member

55cm top tube? Quite short for 5’11” IMHO, I’m 5’8″ and ride 56.5cm tt road bikes and 55cm tt cx bikes.

Im hoping its not the case!

The bike I rode today had a seat tube of 52cm and a virtual TT of 53cm and it felt ok to me, the new bike has a seat tube of 50cm and a C-C TT of 55cm (i’ve been mailed photos of the measurements).

I measured myself and i’m actually 177.5cm ( 5ft 10 1/2″) with a 30″ inside leg, so i’m hoping the lower standover + slightly longer TT will be perfect.

Here are some pics (boring I know):

woffle
    Free Member

nice!

monksie
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ and ride road bikes with effectve 53.5 and 54cm top tubes, 110mm, zero rise stems, top of seat to centre of bb 74cm and 175mm cranks.
    It’ll fit like you were born for it, ride like it’s floating with a permanent tail wind and you’ll smile from start to finish.
    You’ll love it and soon realise what an ace purchase it is.
    I’m very jealous.
    Royles in Wilmslow (South of Manchester) is ace for road stuff but their online sale range is limited so only any good if you’re local, really.

TiRed

I’m the same height as you and commute on a 56cm Merlin Cyrene road bike. It fits me perfectly and always brings a smile to my face. You got a great deal and will enjoy the bike immensely.

When it gets dirty wash it down, if it scratches, use 3M brillo pads to restore the finish. You can replace the Merlin stickers with new ones as needed (although mine is engraved). hand it down to your grandchildren like a good watch…

Expect lots of questions on rides from fellow roadies, particularly those who ride plastic bikes. There aren’t that many titanium bikes around and nobody has a better reputation tham Merlin.

CarlThomas
    Free Member

Well…you out-bid me…lovely frame

GasmanJim
    Free Member

You’ll love it. Size wise it should be fine. I’m 5’11 with 32″ inside leg and ride a 55cm Merlin Extralight. Had it since 2003/4 and it still looks like new. Wish I’d been able to get mine for £1300.

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, i’ve had those impulse buy nerves all day – ill be going to sleep tonight happy with my decision though!

I cant wait to get my grubby mits on it now

(cant believe stw is populated with so many roadies! 😀 )

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Just have a careful look in a good light at the headtube around those recessed cups and at the headtube / downtube junction (especially underneath). I’ve never heard of a Merlin failing there but Litespeed had quite a bit of trouble with this type of recessed headtube (friend is a Merlin / Litespeed dealer) so it’s worth being careful to inspect this as soon as you see the bike. To be extra extra sure I’d dismantle the headset and slide the steerer out so you can check from the inside of the headtube too, this will also allow an inspection if the fork steerer.

I’m sure it’ll be fine, as I say, never heard of Merlin having a problem, but now’s the time to be sure.

Good luck.

James

oxnop
    Free Member

Just have a careful look in a good light at the headtube around those recessed cups and at the headtube / downtube junction (especially underneath). I’ve never heard of a Merlin failing there but Litespeed had quite a bit of trouble with this type of recessed headtube (friend is a Merlin / Litespeed dealer) so it’s worth being careful to inspect this as soon as you see the bike. To be extra extra sure I’d dismantle the headset and slide the steerer out so you can check from the inside of the headtube too, this will also allow an inspection if the fork steerer.

I’m sure it’ll be fine, as I say, never heard of Merlin having a problem, but now’s the time to be sure.

Good luck.

James

Thanks for the heads up James – As soon as I get the bike i’ll have a good look.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Oh no, i've just bought a road bike (Merlin Ti content)’ is closed to new replies.