Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Oh my Lordy! Weddings…..how expensive!?!?!?!
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Asking people to pay for their own alcohol is plain tight ! It’s your celebration you invited them, therefore the expense is on you.

We we got married in Highgate – then went to a local restaurant again in Highgate with about 100 guests.

Didn’t have a present list, we actually asked for people not to give anything, as it was our celebration and we wanted to share it. (Some still gave money, which paid for a few essentials in the house the rest put into our children’s bank account)

Total for the day about £8000 back in 2008

We had a great day, and didn’t feel bad about putting anyone out of pocket – it’s also the guests that have to cough up as well – specially if they’re from out of town.

tomhoward

edit. Never mind…

oldnpastit

My eldest son is getting married today. Never mind the cost of the wedding, the emotional cost of herding the incompetent relatives far exceeds that.

Big thanks to the Highways Agency for deciding to choose today of all days to close down the A14 for the weekend.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Asking people to pay for their own alcohol is plain tight ! It’s your celebration you invited them, therefore the expense is on you.

Utter bollocks, gift some but just have a bar people can pay at.

tomhoward

Big thanks to the Highways Agency for deciding to choose today of all days to close down the A14 for the weekend.

Traffic wasn’t an issue for me getting to mine (well, the fake one). I (plus my best men, dad and step dad) went in a helicopter 😀

oldnpastit

Despite the best efforts of the HA they’re.married! The boy done good!

CountZero

My brother’s first wedding was a proper church do, reception, etc. Move on around twenty years, his second was at the register office, which he and his fiancée walked to, it was that close, wearing their bike club leathers and colours, with close family. Reception was at the bike club clubhouse at Kemble Airfield, my brother rode his bike, along with most of the club who could attend, his wife rode on the back of a trike wearing a red leather bustier and long red leather skirt, and as the convoy of bikes arrived alongside the runway, the owner of the airfield did a low-level flypast in his black Hawker Hunter jet! It was a fantastic day, the weather was perfect, they had a blessing carried out under a tree at the club with my late mum and step-dad sat in front, the biker doing the honours was an army chaplain, also in his leathers with a big white cross velcro’d onto his jacket in place of his colours. Even the register office people said it was one of the best weddings they could remember. Don’t know the cost, but it was likely peanuts.

Bumped into a friend today who’s organising her own wedding, she’s a trained seamstress, she’s making a dress out of paper, (and I’ve seen one she made for an exam, it was stunning), plus a lot of the decorations are paper, and the reception is in the small events room belonging to the pub in the village where her parents live. Overall costs are going to be far less than the OP’s budget; imagination and creativity trumps a big bank account, or credit card limit every time!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Went to a great wedding yesterday. Triple steak burger with brisket, Monterey Jack and dirty mayo. Served when you wanted it between 5 and 8.Great way to do it!

donks
    Free Member

Worst wedding I’ve every been to was the wife’s best mate.

She married a pig of a man who insisted on the bells and whistles wedding which apparently cost well over £30k but they are both earning huge salaries I suppose. Anyway it was torture, some genuinely horrid people attended (his mates and family) and proceeded to take over the show. The best mans speech was nearly an hour long and consisted of two of his idiot mates doing a stand up routine with props under each table that told a story from his past. I had 2 toilet trips during that speech and it was the least enjoyable speech I’ve ever known and I was not alone in this opinion.

Evening Food was mainly fine cheese and pate and not much else so got boring very quickly. Kids attending were offered the same which did not go down well.

Music was a classical pianist for pretty much the whole day and that also got tired very quickly.

Bloody photos and videos were a huge drag and seemed to be like a relentless unavoidable onslaught.

I was never so glad to get in a car to go home.

tomhoward

Did the bride and groom enjoy it?

HansRey

reading this thread, it’s enough to put me off!

The best wedding i went to was in a forest on Argyll. The stag party was a yurt in the Brecon beacons. Both cheap and slightly difficult to get to. The locations helped cut down the numbers; great aunt Betty’s neighbour’s dog walker didn’t come!

If i ever get married, it’ll be in the Sakhalin peninsula.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

We looked at one venue which was about £6k for just the venue hire. I worked out it was about £2.66 a minute for the hire and I pointed out for that price she could have a new Juliana Furtardo with XX1 kit and we both agreed to set our sights a bit cheaper!

dudeofdoom

Went to a great wedding yesterday. Triple steak burger with brisket, Monterey Jack and dirty mayo. Served when you wanted it between 5 and 8.Great way to do it!

Yep I did that one on my “special” day, big table at a harvester 🙂 and paid a small corkage fee an brought a few boxes of champagne with me.

(also managed to forget to cut the cakes,local cake maker did nice job without charging the ‘wedding’ cake fine.)

Did look at hiring the SS Great Britain but tbh I’d have wanted it to sail down the channel and to the new found lands for the price.

scuttler

If i ever get married, it’ll be in the Sakhalin peninsula.

Sakhalin’s the island, Kamchatka’s the peninsula. Wicked choice though – cheap booze and heli-skiing!

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Oh my Lordy! Weddings…..how expensive!?!?!?!’ is closed to new replies.