Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Oh I do like these (and not just because it's me in the pic!) – GoPro stills.
  • Alex

My mate Ian has one of those very flash new GoPro’s. All seems like a bit of a faff, and you really have to like video editing to get the best use out of them. But he extracted some stills from the video on our Sunday ride.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pVwGMy]Rhayader MTB – Snowy ride[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Not cleaned those up at all. As they came out of the GoPro. Maybe I’m just old but I much prefer stills to video.

rOcKeTdOg

Already liked on Flickr. Love the way the scenery opens up and you feel like you are on the bike yourself

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

GoPros are really good for stills. I know a pro photographer who never shoots video – shoot at a couple of frames a second, point, hope and pick the good ones.

Alex

I remember a few years ago, another mate had one of the very early ones that would snap a pic every few seconds. It was on his seatpost, but the pics were horrible – low res, massively over-saturated, etc. Whereas that is pretty well metered and sharp.

Still don’t want one tho. Happy with my TG-2.

v666ern
    Free Member

we can see your @rse in high quality Alex 😆

I like this one best, https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexleigh/16123913690/in/photostream/
    did you get a bit lost!?

Looks like great fun – very jealous 🙁

Alex

Yeah you can’t see it twitching tho. Was a bit hairy that bit.

That pic you linked to is actually the first climb. Apparently there’s a rideable path up there. We’ve never found it!

stevied
    Free Member

Some nice pics. Just been flicking through your Malvern ones..that climb up from the bottom of the reservoir is a right bitch 👿

Alex

Yeah it is. It’s my second most hated climb. There is one worse, but I don’t like to talk about it. It makes me sad 🙂 Tend to ride from the Wyche side nowadays so going back to the reservoir climb was a bit unpleasant !

jonnyclaridge
    Free Member

Alex – pictures look amazing. Do you have a link to the route you did?

Use to mountain bike all around there when I was at Uni in Aberystwyth, bring back memories!
    Jon

stevied
    Free Member

I push up that one most of the time as my bike is not designed to go up steep things 😉
    We tend to pop over the Camp in the summer but stick to Wyche/Beacon/North Hill in winter..

Alex

@johnny – I do if you want to drop me an email. It’s in my profile

@Stevied
    – good plan. South side is pretty mucky in winter. Had quite a few ‘moments’ coming off Midsummer hill on the steep side.

stevied
    Free Member

If you see a bright yellow Intense up there it’s me 😉

Alex

I’ll keep a look out. I’m on a skive-ride Friday morning. Hoping it was going to be snowy. But no, just looks wet!

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I have a GoPro 3+ and I probably use it more for stills than video. I much prefer a good still than a bit of video.

A few GoPro shots I took on recent trips – (some of these are more than one shot “stitched” together and most have been edited/tweaked a bit).

philb88
    Free Member

Great Pics!
    Are those taken as stills, or still frames taken from Video?

Bedds
    Free Member

Cheers Al 🙂

The camera is far more able than the operator..

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

The ones I posted were taken as stills, not frame grabs from video.

nickc

Apparently there’s a rideable path up there. We’ve never found it!

it’s marked on the map fo’shure, but I suspect it’s more of an “indication of an existing ROW” rather than yer actual path…

Is what i tell myself as I slog through knee high tussock and wade through thigh deep puddles of goodness know what after i’ve failed yet again to find a path…

DezB
    Free Member

The orange jumpsuit one. That’s silly. Makes me belly go flip looking at that!
    Amazing pic, how’dyou get it? off one of those sticks?

philb88
    Free Member

Are you using a remote trigger or just the burst shots, then selecting the best?

Look great, just not sure how you’d get such good pics whilst trying to take them of yourself when out on the bike?!

singlespeedstu

Pics with Gareg Ddu in always look great. 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cRbQEU]Elan Valley[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

The climb up to it used to be almost doable but the track has moved over to the left now and the rut at the top’s too deep.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They do seem to turn out some gems. This was a 0.5 second ride by.

Alex

SSS – I know exactly where you were there 🙂 That bit was full of ice last Sunday…

Scienceofficer. Nice colours!

singlespeedstu

I’ve started riding off the rock on the right of the gully now for extra thrills.

Might be a bit different if it was iced up though. 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Oh I do like these (and not just because it's me in the pic!) – GoPro stills.’ is closed to new replies.