Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Oh god! Tyre questions – Not getting on with highrollers
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I’m running a tubeless setup with a 2.1″ high roller at the back, and I’m just not getting on with it.

The back end feels like it has no grip at highish pressures (>30 psi), and and it feels like I’m going to bugger the rim at lower pressures as I can feel things “clunking” the rim when I hit obstacles. When I run at the lower pressure, it leaves usage marks on the rubber between the knobbles (if that makes sense)

I’m getting on ok with the same width tyre at the front, and am happily running that at 30psi and not feeling like I want more grip.

Do I:

[list][*]”need” to try a wider version of the high roller[/*]
    [*]”need” to swap to another tyre set up (Got on great with nobby nics apart from buggering the side walls, but that was with getting snakebites and tubes)
    [/*][*]learn to love the “clunk” and get on with the lower pressure?[/*][/list]

Houns

2.2″ Rubber Queens End of thread

mboy
    Free Member

2.1 HR’s are V narrow for what they are. 2.35’s are a much better tyre, that grip a lot better in most situations, but are understandably heavier and slower.

IMO the High Roller tread is one of those examples of a brilliant DH/FR tread that doesn’t quite translate so well when you stick it on a narrower carcass.

Northwind

If you want a 2.1 wide Highroller you really need to buy the 2.35 because of their crooked sizing unfortunately, you’re not the first. Highroller’s still a good tyre though

10pmix
    Free Member

I had a similar issue. Went up to 2.35 HRs but they were too much (supertacky – felt like riding through mud all the time) so went for 2.1 UST Ardents instead (samedaytyres.com) and problem solved. They are amazing.

lunge

I like an ADvantage on the back, works well with a HR on the front.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I run a 2.0 UST Larsen on the back and a 2.35 LUST High Roller on the front of my lighter wheelset. Great in the dry, but I’d want a little more bite in the rear for bigger riding or in proper mud.

grum
    Free Member

Bontrager Big Earl Wets are like High Rollers but better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Oh god! Tyre questions – Not getting on with highrollers’ is closed to new replies.