Search the forum using the power of Google

• This topic has 61 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Oh ffs it’s snowing again…
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Aye, chucking it down in Sunderland – about an inch here too. New bike pleading with me to go and play….. Might just go out with the camera and the dog though – safer!

Stu

Snow is cool… and fun to ride in, I like it!

bigsi
    Free Member

Well its been dry and sunnynot raining here in Worthing today so i guess that spring must be here 😆

phiiiiil

I was thinking the same thing this morning – part of my way to work is on a track across some heathland that has been frozen for weeks. Where the snow lingered there is now several inches of very lumpy solid ice; where it briefly melted is just smooth sheet ice instead. Either way, the whole length of the track is pretty much unrideable. It was funny the first few times, but I’m bored of the whole “riding on ice is fun” malarkey.

AndyP
    Free Member

I’m bored of the whole “riding on ice is fun” malarkey.
    I’m not. it’s ace. My offroad, over the frozen moor commute has been frozen for weeks too. And it’s great fun riding it each day. Just like riding in mud, only less mucky.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Hi Phiiiil,

Couldn’t agree more, it was fun and grippy for the first day, tolerable for the second, then it froze into clods of ice across the whole trail. I’m pleased it’s gone. This morning was 95% clear for me for me. It’s so good being able to (mostly) speed along again.

plop_pants
    Free Member

i’m hoping by blowing as hard as I can out the window that the butterfly effect will keep it away.

Jamie
    Free Member

*sits by window and waits patiently for more snow daahn saaaaf*

stumpy01

OK, so I lied……well, I didn’t…….but the situation has changed.

Snow coming down in the Peterboghorror area now. And I’ve got to drive across Fenny-Fenshire to get to Thetford, along numerous roads with dykes/rivers next to them….hmmm. I guess I’ll be taking it nice and easy.

Jamie
    Free Member

That is commitment to drive to Thetford through the snow mate.

stumpy01

Jamie…..I can’t tell if that is sarcasm or not 😉

It’s not settling at the moment, so should be OK getting there. If it’s pony on the way back I can just take a longer route and stick to main roads.

Should be fun though this evening. I just hope that my Lumi battery is charged!! Better fill the Dirtworker up as it was well manky on Saturday and the tap in the car park had frozen…..

devs
    Free Member

Pah! Fenwick moor is for girls. You live so far south you are starting to sound like those English. Get yourself up here and have a look at some proper snow and ice. It’s over bike deep on Dava moor. It hasn’t stopped us getting out on our bikes. I’ve been out every night bar one since the snow started, but then it is only 3-12″ deep in our forest and the walkers have trampled it down nicely.
    The big thaw starts Sunday apparently.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just like riding in mud, only less mucky.

Are you sure you’re riding on ice, cause the stuff I ride on is nothing like mud. Believe me if it was fun I would do it. Last Tuesday morning was a fun commute when the snow was fresh, well apart from the 30mph headwind, but even by Tuesday evening it was impossible to ride safely – solid ice for ten miles really isn’t fun or in any way safe. Can’t wait to get some miles in at the weekend.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Like I said devs fresh snow is fine, ice isn’t. Anyway where is ‘here’ and how do you know I ride across the Fenwick moor?

AndyP
    Free Member

Are you sure you’re riding on ice
    yes. it’s the cold frozen water stuff, commonly known as ice, right? Or is there a different kind of ice?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Or is there a different kind of ice? Yes there is the kind that is **** all like ‘less sticky mud’. Maybe you’re talking frozen puddles that are nice to ride over and break.

AndyP
    Free Member

Maybe you’re talking frozen puddles that are nice to ride over and break. no, the solid stuff.

Or is there a different kind of ice? Yes
    So, this other kind of ice, that isn’t frozen water…want to tell me more about it?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sorry AndyP you’re obvioulsy much more of a tough guy than me. I’m sure if you were me you’d be out there every day riding on the road ice or not. I prefer self preservation.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie…..I can’t tell if that is sarcasm or not [:wink:]

No sarcasm. I admire anyone who can fight the urge to put ones feet up in the warm on a night like i imagine tonight is going to be :mrgreen:

joemarshall
    Free Member

molgrips they don’t do studded tyres for 700c wheels, not that I can find. And I have considered it.

Nokian make em. I think Schwalbe do too.

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP1317.aspx?Track=FGL

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cheers Joe, might buy some for next year. I couldn’t find any when I did a search. £40 each though. I wonder what they would be like on the road?

devs
    Free Member

Gary, I remember you saying you were from Killie in an Ayrshire discussion. I am from Girvan but live 4 hours drive north of you. You’re brave commuting on the A77 but I suppose it isn’t as bad since the motorway was built.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Oh ffs it’s snowing again…’ is closed to new replies.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.