Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Oh Deer !
  • burt
    Free Member

A group of us found a stag tangled in a fence one Sunday morning ride . Luckily two of the lads were vets, one very well versed in wildlife veterinary stuff. We managed to get a coat over its head and get it on the ground while they checked it over and untangled it. I was the one tasked with holding the coat over its eyes while laying on its neck. It was like a piece of breathing concrete, you could feel the pent up power. The bugger never even looked back when we all jumped off. Rewarding though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

jimdubleyou – Member 
    I often see them riding home through Richmond Park. Those ones are fairly tame and let you get right up close before they will run off.

They’re more wary of dogs called Fenton now though.

stevied – Member 
    I, unavoidably, totalled a pheasant today. It started to go back towards the kerb so I moved right to avoid it, then the stupid bloody thing changed it’s mind..

Bloody suicidal things. Runs into the road, swerve to go round it and instead of running away it runs into the path of my car. Had that many times. Not sure how many have survived. I do try to avoid them though.

On deer though, the AA has this to say – https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/deer-collisions

singletrackmind

In a works van a good few years ago about 20 deer ran across in front of us. My colleague stated , quite honestly ‘ They never stop to look and see if there is a car coming do they’
    Now, They have stopped doing the green cross code and tufty club on he tele, so Im going to guess the deer road traffic safety schme has probably also disappeared

Apparently the SOP is not to brake if one runs out and you are going to hit hard , the front of the car nose dives and encourages the deer to roll up the bonney and in through the windscreen. You are advised to drop in the seat as low as possible so if one comes through the screen you dont get it in the face , which is fine in theory…

darkcove

I had a close encounter with a herd of Deer at 125mph the other week. It was dark, the headlights illuminated them at only 100yds away, no time to even brake. Fortunately they scattered and the huge thud never came.

alpin
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/pDLc9rkcXdY[/video]https://youtu.be/pDLc9rkcXdY

tinybits
    Free Member

I had a collision with one a few years ago, 2008 Audi A4 (obvs) and smacked head on at about 55-60. Although it was front of the car and offside wing, the damage bill was £4500! The deer ran away.
    I hit another last year (I do about 20000 miles a year on Somerset country roads, I hit a few animals sadly, mainly bloody pheasants) in my wife’s Touareg. Similar speed and again head on. Slight crack to the bumper and I saw the deer about 15ft up in the rear view mirror having already bounced off the road…. I now drive like an utter fairy around built up areas. Big 4×4’s are bloody lethal.

alpin
    Free Member

^^ reminds me of the time inOz.

(Drink) driving through the bush late at night a d hit a roo with sone Toyota thingamajig. The car was wrecked. The roo bounded off. Stuffed the car in the bush and walked the 10km home.

A week later we were driving the and stretch in a borrowed Volvo and hit a roo. The roo flew off into the verge. We stopped. The plastic grill on the Volvo was cracked. The roo was fubared. (Roo bared?).

theotherjonv

I often see them riding home through Richmond Park. Those ones are fairly tame and let you get right up close before they will run off.

SE news today, woman attacked by a Stag in Richmond Park. Although from what I could make out from her camera footage she was being bellowed at by him guarding his territory and harem. I certainly wouldn’t be approaching them during the rutting season!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/12/celebrity-milliner-attacked-stag-richmond-park/

stupid woman calling for them to be fenced in to protect the public from them……. she needs protecting from herself!

jimdubleyou

stupid woman calling for them to be fenced in to protect the public

There is already a big fence around the whole park. If you are that stupid, perhaps you should stay out of It entirely!

zokes
    Free Member

Occupational hazard (roos, not deer) here. Creamed one in broad daylight a few years back in our Freelander. Out of nowhere and we were doing 110k when I saw it. Probably hit it at about 70. Not a scratch on the car. As per tinybits, on that evidence alone, don’t step in front of even moderately sized SUVs 😯

Nearly clobbered a fair few doing fieldwork in the outback in big Patrols or LC200s with hefty bar work up front. Size of some of them worried me even with that protection.

swamp_boy

some of the quotes in the torygraph artles are entertaining:

The deer was probably commenting on her hats in the only way it knows.

It might have been jealous.

swamp_boy
    hodgynd
    Free Member

Swamp boy
    If that stag isn’t the main man ..then 10/10 for ingenuity.
    Great camouflage for sneaking up on the ladies …

superleggero
    Free Member

At this time of year steer clear of the deer.

I was in Bushy Park on Thursday and the stags were bellowing away with plenty of aggression on display. I was surprised by the number of people getting way too close to them to try take photos with their mobiles. As that news report above with the punctured ‘celebrity milliner shows, things can get rather serious rather quickly.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Oh Deer !’ is closed to new replies.