Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Oh Deer !
  • hodgynd
    Free Member

Heading back along the “Military Road”..( Hadrians Wall) on Monday evening after a visit over to Castle Douglas in Dumfrieshire..there was a blur in my peripheral vision followed by a whump with both myself and my Dad saying “what the **** was that ” in unison..
    The “that” turned out to be a young deer which made a pretty mess of my front bumper & grill ..unfortunately it didn’t survive.
    Fast forward to the next morning having just sorted out my insurance claim and hire car an article on the local north east tv news along the lines of ” be careful out there as this is the worst time of year for road accidents involving deer …”
    WHAT? ..how random is that ffs.
    So watch out …especially at dusk !
    Big brother’s got their eye on you.. 😕

theotherjonv

we ‘missed’ one a few nights ago in Surrey, we were driving back along a country road when my wife suddenly shrieked and scared the life out of me. Apparently a deer had run out from the RHS at a ‘quarter’ to us, almost got in front before realising we were there and then swerved back into the woods. I just didn’t see it at all, must have been in my blind spot.

Or it wasn’t there and she’s still secretly giggling to herself over it.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Was it like a little horse with horns?

kayak23

Apparently a deer had run out from the RHS

Probably getting chased by Monty Dons’ dog.

Out for a motorcycle blast with a mate the other night we had one leap out like that impala video, nearly causing me to stack it into the back of my mate.
    Poor thing was freaking out but very much alive.

whitestone
    Free Member

Had a couple of near misses:

Driving into town to pick my wife up I heard a click-clacking sound. Looked to my right, straight into the eye of a deer that had jumped out of the hedge just as I was passing and was running alongside the car. After about five or six seconds it saw another gap in the hedge and left the road.

This May we were in the North of Scotland heading back to the car with my wife riding about five metres in front of me when I heard a clattering in the side of the road. A deer shot out across the road through the gap between my wife and I and in front of a car coming in the opposite direction. The car’s driver was wide eyed in surprise. Don’t know what had spooked the deer but it was still chasing around the glen twenty minutes later.

scaredypants

I killed one once – or maybe just finished it off. It ran out from a hedgerow just as I was crossing with a car coming the other way. It hit their car and then rebounded into me – both times full front impact.

I had 3 seven year old kids in the back of the car at the time so drove on a bit then I walked back to see the damage. Substantial. Very dead.
    🙁

COst me 800 quid in repairs, too

nickc

missed one only a few nights ago coming home. Must scare the crap out of them, poor things.

matt_outandabout

We had a stag leap out from near side at Lubnaig on New Year’s Day, 1am. It slammed into front wing, head hit A pillar, leaving snot on windscreen. It dented and scratched every panel on that side of the car. I had swerved so hard I had mud all down the offside of car from opposite verge. Scary stuff.

poly
    Free Member

In what way is the article “random” surely it’s directly correlated?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Random ..in as much that I had never seen or heard this type of ” warning” anywhere before and also the fact that it came the morning after the event ..
    If it was directly correlated then surely that would mean it applied only to myself instead of being a general warning ?
    Thanks for the English lesson though ! ( lighten up 😀 )

gordimhor

Daily hazard where I live.

andy4d

No eyed deer what they are doing. Do they not see the cars.

swamp_boy

It’s the rut (mating season), so the males are competing with their mates to get a year’s ration of sex into a few weeks. Their brains and testicles are about the same size and most of the blood is in the latter, so they’re paying even less attention than usual to anything that doesn’t look and smell like another deer. The British Deer Society estimates that there are about 70,000 collisions a year between deer and cars (no figures for MTBs), so do watch out, especially at this time of year.

GrahamS

Mate was driving us to Glenshee a few years back. A deer ran on to the road in front of us, did the startled thing and we very narrowly avoided it… only for its pal to kamikaze into the side of the car!

Police car behind us flashed us down and had “a chat”.

The deer got up and darted into the forest the other side of the road so hopefully it was in better shape than the wing mirror.

myopic
    Free Member

Almost been hit by them on bike twice – once in daylight and once at dusk

Re comment about “Random ..in as much that I had never seen or heard this type of ” warning” anywhere before”, there’s a road sign for this – none in the area or on road concerned?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Swamp boy …That probably explains why I was woken to the sound of a stag humping the front grill of my car the following morning ..

hodgynd
    Free Member

Myopic ..no road sign ..long stretch of moorland prior to where this happened ..
    To be honest ..and I could be wrong ..I live on the outskirts of one of Europe’s largest forests (Kielder) which is vastly over populated by roe deer ( they are thinking of introducing the Lynx to help reduce the numbers )..and I don’t think I have seen a road sign of this type .
    That could be down to over familiarisation with the road itself though …
    The seen or heard comment was in direct relation to media ..such as television & radio ..but my my we are getting picky this morning 😆
    Are either of you gentleman out of work ” proof ” readers by any chance ?

myopic
    Free Member

No offence intended Hodgynd! Just wanted to mention that there’s sign in HC for it https://roadsignsdirect.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/width220/public/551_0.png?itok=r9xEypJk

hodgynd
    Free Member

None taken ..and none intended 😀

martinhutch

Police car behind us flashed us down and had “a chat”.

Your mate got a telling off for having a deer run into him?

survivor

Good shot sir…

I believe the going rate is 50 points.

Next on your list should be an old lady. 200 points easy 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

I saw a group ( herd !?!? ) of about 5-6 walking down the hard shoulder and grass verge of the M61 near the services a few years ago.

Thought I was seeing things so I went back and there they were. There was a Highways Agency traffic officer on the services so I told him and they put speed restriction on till the deer went.

The Highways guy said it was very common round here he had seen them run from one side of the Motorway, jump the centre barrier then cross the other carriageway

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member
    hodgynd
    Free Member

Centralscrutinizer..
    Joking apart ..my old man was all for dumping it in the back of the car ..

jimdubleyou

A deer totalled my mums car a few years ago – it jumped out of a hedgerow and the windscreen collected it, along with buckling the roof.

I often see them riding home through Richmond Park. Those ones are fairly tame and let you get right up close before they will run off.

GrahamS

Your mate got a telling off for having a deer run into him?

Pretty much yeah.

They did check we were alright first mind.

But then it was a chat about “driving carefully” and “paying more attention”.

Really wanted to say “He was paying f******* attention, you bell end, that’s how he avoided the first one!” but we just did the “Yes officer. Thank you officer” routine. 😆

leeph
    Free Member

HodgyND and lives near Kielder……wonder who that could be!

Nissan took a bashing?

Hope all is well.

Lee

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I hit one in Norfolk (swaffam) many many years ago. I was driving a B reg Fiesta Pop Plus. Made a huge mess, the thing got up and ran off!!
    Was only 3rd party insured too. Took me and my dad two weeks and a few tins of filler to repair the car.

bodgy
    Free Member

Hhmmmm . . . venison.

hodgynd
    Free Member

😀
    Hello Lee ..its been a while !
    We are still out there every weekend it would be great to meet up again ..
    The Nissan is still intact ..it was the Vauxhall ( I know ..serves me right !).
    Hope that you too are keeping well ..
    Cheers
    Neil

tazzymtb

loads of the buggers leaping into the road around cannock chase at the moment, had two near misses/ emergency stops coming back from night riding on the chase recently.

One for sodding big chap with massive antlers who jumped out and then decided to stand in the road and try and square up to my car (guess he was feeling horny and Belligerent)

One more scary encounter with a rather portly gentleman running/waddling out of a carpark into the road wearing a little leather strappy number waving a big dildo (guess he was also feeling horny and belligerent!)

stevied
    Free Member

I, unavoidably, totalled a pheasant today. It started to go back towards the kerb so I moved right to avoid it, then the stupid bloody thing changed it’s mind.. 😐

scaredypants

But then it was a chat about “driving carefully” and “paying more attention”.

shame they didn’t try to tell him somethimg useful, like that when one runs out, there’s likely several more behind it – that’s how they do it in the new forest anyway, the dozy bastards!

(deer, that is, not the police. we don’t have them round here)

scud
    Free Member

I hit one in Norfolk (swaffam) many many years ago. I was driving a B reg Fiesta Pop Plus. Made a huge mess, the thing got up and ran off!!
    Was only 3rd party insured too. Took me and my dad two weeks and a few tins of filler to repair the car.

I live about 8 miles from Swaffham, i’m sure Norfolk is road-kill central, most road rides involve bunny-hopping muntjac deer, badgers, hares and i was upset to see this morning that a barn owl that used to follow me on bike when i commuted has been killed, lots and lots of pheasants on road to where many gamekeepers are getting lazy and placing feeders near roads for east access.

kcal

There’s a spot outside Forres on the back road to Grantown, driving along there mid evening with my mate in passenger seat, fair speed, he then says “best slow down here, deer crossed in front of me the other week”, so I did, took it easy on approach to the corner, sure enough a deer crossed over from one side to the other…

cubist
    Free Member

I hit a stag on my bike at Sherwood. In the “bike park” came over a little rocky jump in the middle and it ran across in front. Just managed to divert enough momentum so my shoulder glanced off it’s hind quarters. Barely an impact but I still went over the bars and totalled my brake levers.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

For one species it’s their natural habitat, the roe deer.

IGMC.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Each of the 5 days to work this week has seen a closer than desired crossing by a doe and fawn. Nice big buck sauntered across in front of me last night as well. As for the buggers crossing the gravel cycle track; well they are even less concerned about getting out of your way.
    Having said that they are not so worrying, damaging or unpredictable as the bloody boar. They just wander across the roads or stand at look at you. The one that had me braking hard this morning was about the size of large hippo. Stuck his head out, saw me, wandered across to the white line, had another look and strolled away. Now they really stuff a car.

nostoc
    Free Member

About thirty five years ago a couple of lads in my village died when their car hit an antelope. In Kent, unlucky.

timba
    Free Member

I saw a group ( herd !?!? ) of about 5-6

Herd of deer? Of course I’ve herd of deer, there a parcel/herd of deer over there

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Oh Deer !’ is closed to new replies.