Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oh dear what to do?
  • Marmite
    Free Member

Never had a problem working out what to buy before but this time…….

Got some CRC vouchers for the old birthday and I'm in a quandry on what to buy.

Do I go all sensible and get a new cassette, chain, etc or do I replace quite servicable XT Shadow mech and XT shifters with new Sram X0 rear mech and shifters? Always fancied trying them but nothing really wrong with the XT. So new and experimental or safe and sensible with stuff I'll actually need?

Or bugger that and get a new helmet? 😕

scaredypants

not used XO but 3 SRAM mechs I've used over 10yr or so have all been VERY disappointing – went loose around the main bolt very early on & not well made generally

XTR shifters, though, are lovely

Marmite
    Free Member

Hmm had heard that, and also considered XTR shifters, but really, how much better or different to XT?

Ok and I actually meant X9, the new 2010 version, not X0, can't afford X0

scaredypants

dunno about XT

always used deore, then LBS bloke told me I'd never regret buying xtr shifters and that even cheap mechs just work better with em. He was ded right. 1st one I bought is on its 3rd frame. Another (newer model) one off classifieds also looks like lasting forever.

I think xtr used to be the only ones with bearings in but now xt do as well – maybe they're as good now

mikewsmith
    Free Member

x9 generally beautiful

awaits next post saying x9 is sh*t

Marmite
    Free Member

Mikewsmith, why so?

Marmite
    Free Member

I'm for my bed, will pick this up in the morning…..

Northwind

I really like X9, it just feels nicer to me than XT. Though it's true my rear mech has worn pretty badly, it can now move in all directions simultaneously 😉 But though it feels ropey in the hand, it still shifts perfectly.

Marmite
    Free Member

Does anyone use the new 2010 version, does that seem to wear any better?

spooky_b329

Save them til you need them, otherwise rather than saving some money, your wasting it 🙂

Marmite
    Free Member

There speaks the voice of reason, but saving money not the aim, really fancied trying X9 and this was my chance to do it, the wear issues are concerning me though.

superdan

I always preffered X9 to XT kit, but am swinging the other way for 3 reasons:

Having to disassemble the X9 shifter to change the mech cable. seriously wtf? being the sort that dives in and doesn't read the instructions means that this killed the shifter as all the springy bits escaped. Its such a common procedure to have to do on a bike it seems ludicrous to make it intentionally harder.

X9 shifters have started sticking on me on the downshift. Changing the shifter helps sometimes, changing the mech has no effect, changing the gear outer had no effect. I got stuck in 3rd gear coming out of the gate at a DH race. I nearly threw my bike through a caravan.

The newer Shadow Shimano stuff has the top entry cable routing, and two way release, fixing my only 2 issues with Shimano kit.

Marmite
    Free Member

Think I am going to have to be sensible, cassette, chain and front bearings need replacing really, so XT will remain…..

radoggair
    Free Member

Have x9 shifters just now linked to x0 mech. The mech is lovely, sweet shifting though compared to xtr looks a bit 'fat'. The shifters, and i've always used shimano' are no where near as good. Shift wise, they work a treat but A/ lack of 2 way shifting and B/ the button to shift down is to far back, too small and too close to the other lever to function properly. XT or XTR for me from now on in the shifter department

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear what to do?’ is closed to new replies.