Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Oh dear… Trump's on the home straight…..
  • burko73

Oh dear, how does this happen? Only in America…

Trumps in the running now, backed up on stage by some political heavy hitters (Cameron Diaz & sharapova!)

Talk about captain America and civil war on the other thread……

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yep, disturbing news to wake up too. I’m nervous about this, after all they voted* in that idiot Bush twice

*OK, they didn’t really, there were ‘voting irregularities’ tat got him over the line.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Unbelievable isn’t it – still it might be okay in the end. Democratics are usually better for us and the rest of the world and like our own two-party-system (for the most part) you win an election by gaining the middle ground. Should make Clinton’s job easier.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Superficial
    Free Member

It’s not politics, it’s showbiz. So if we’re not going to have a sensible discussion, we may as well enjoy the show. I for one can’t wait for the dirt that Clinton can sling at him. A man like that must have so much stuff in the closet.

Clinton’s plan all along must surely have been to dig up as much dirt as possible but hold it back until Trumps nomination is secure. Then hit him with everything. The only problem will be if Sanders has a last minute fight back. Trump vs Sanders would be uncomfortably close. Trump knows this and I’m sure he’d much rather fight Sanders. Because Trumps crossed the line early, he has a bit of time to try and influence the democratic nomination.

Trump. Hur hur

wwaswas

Was he ever the 5000:1 outsider?

bikebouy
    Free Member

😀

convert

It’s like a game of really high stakes poker. If you want to guarantee a democrat for president the best thing is a batshite crazy republican nominee. Tick. But it might, just might go horribly wrong. Then we build the walls for him and close the borders for 20 years and let the yanks either eat themselves and shoot each other to death until sanity has returned.

Stoner
    Free Member

I may in a minority here, but I relish all this batshit mental uncertainty, the hobsons’ choices: trump/sanders, in/out of EU, Corbyn vs Gove/Johnson etc.

It’s like looking into a cage of armed fighting monkeys wearing tutus and lipstick.

A bit of disruption to shake things up a bit. Bring it!

mt
    Free Member

He could get in as Pres given what’s happened in the past, those controversial chads anyone? Mind he does not have a brother as govenor of a state. Can’t see that the republicans will push someone in above him (it has been done before) but you never know. Reckon they’ll right off the next Presidential term and come back with a better candidate if Hilary messes up. The republicans often have more power when they control the congress and the senate.

I could be completely wrong, again.

wwaswas

I relish all this batshit mental uncertainty

If I didn’t think that a Trump presidency would make things *a lot* worse for huge numbers of people in the world for decades to come I’d agree.

It’s not Trump that’s the problem – it’s the people he’d bring in to actually formulate policies and do stuff that will cause the damage.

As far as the GOP is concerned, they’ve reaped what they’d sown – the Tea Party must be sat there with their jaws in their laps now.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I like Trump seems to be pretty straightforward and no worse than any of the others, I don’t see the big deal..

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/mAGg_-XofaQ[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/JlSQAZEp3PA[/video]

Stoner
    Free Member

oldnpastit

I like Trump seems to be pretty straightforward and no worse than any of the others

That’s been part of the problem – the other candidates were terrible as well.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    I like Trump seems to be pretty straightforward and no worse than any of the others, I don’t see the big deal..

I assume your a straight white bloke then…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And not a moose limb

mrblobby
    Free Member

Clinton’s plan all along must surely have been to dig up as much dirt as possible but hold it back until Trumps nomination is secure.

She’s already tried that but the public don’t seem to care.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Was he ever the 5000:1 outsider?

😀

Its now a 2 horse race and even Obama was mocking Hilary. There is a very good chance that Trump wins the Presidency. We’ve discussed this at length on other threads but Trump is many Americans view of an anti-establishment candidate and a very familiar face representing business success via hosting “The Apprentice” – for a good insight watch an episode on BBC iPlayer

Clinton’s plan all along must surely have been to dig up as much dirt as possible but hold it back until Trumps nomination is secure.

She will get killed with that strategy as there is far more dirt in her past

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

She’s already tried that but the public don’t seem to care.

Too right. If he’s going to make America great again (by banning, barricading and bombing) then he could fillet millions of newborn immigrants on a butcher’s block in Times square, cook them on ancient redwoods (freshly felled for the event), serve the wretched meats on rye with pickle in Chinese-manufactured styrofoam containers and yet still gain popularity. He’s golden. Like his hair.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Its now a 2 horse race and even Obama was mocking Hilary. There is a very good chance that Trump wins the Presidency.

Don’t tell me it was at the super serious party where he dropped the mic? Little clue it’s part of the deal to take the piss out of everyone.

Also most of the polls for the last 6 months have been anyone but Trump for president (general election not primary)

hatter

To dismiss Trump is to dismiss the deep antipathy many many Americans have of the government and the coastal elites, they hate being talked down to any everytime a smart arse journalist, actor, comedian or politician queues up to slam Trump they see it as the ‘establishment’ gangng up on him and they root for him even harder.

As far as they’re concerned Clinton is pretty much the embodiment of that ‘establishment’ (and, you can’t deny that they have a point there) and Sanders is basically a communist out to tax them all to death.

The trouble is that Clinton has been around so long and has so much baggage that she’s just not that inspiring and it’s going to be very hard to motivate people to go out and vote for her, whereas ‘Team Angry’ who are backing Trump will turn out in thier droves.

The Tories here have a similar tactic of courting the Daily Mail readers whilst screwing the young, Paul Dacre’s readers may be ill informed and myopic but unlike the bright young things in thier teens and 20’s, they all vote!

If Obama could run again he’d walk it, Clinton I’m not so sure and much of it hinges on what happens over the next month, one terrorist attack on the mainland U.S. and we could be staring down the barrel of President Trump.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I like Trump seems to be pretty straightforward and no worse than any of the others, I don’t see the big deal.

I assume your a straight white bloke then..

+1.

Trump is a worry.

Reminds me of this guy:

kimbers

All empires fall

President Trump = the beginning of the end for America as a superpower

kayak23

Trumps in the running now, backed up on stage by some political heavy hitters (Cameron Diaz & sharapova!)

Makes sense I suppose…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Is it time to start hoarding tinned food and bury that shipping container on the garden yet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    McHamish
    Free Member

The ‘showbiz’ comment above is spot on…America seems to be a sucker for a spectacle and Trump invariably delivers.

If Trump is elected I’m tempted to veto holidays in America while he’s in the Whitehouse.

Did you see the pictures of Obama with the Royal family last week…could you imagine Trump in his place? “Hi there Queenie…it’s a pleasure to meet me”.

ChrisL

All in all I think I’d find the prospect of Ted Cruz as president even scarier than the prospect of Trump getting into the White House.

binners

When you actually looked behind the horror show of Trump, and looked at the policies of Cruz, it turns out he was actually twice as terrifying as ‘The Donald’

How has mainstream politics become so detached and unrepresentative of the people that they see either of these lunatics as the solution? Hilary Clinton is exactly how. She represents the neoliberal corporatist continuation, which couldn’t give a toss about ordinary people. That people are so disenfranchised that they’d vote for Trump is a damning indictment of both the main parties, and what they’ve become

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

All in all I think I’d find the prospect of Ted Cruz as president even scarier than the prospect of Trump getting into the White House.

Agreed. He is loathed even within his own party for being an odious bastard.

If it’s a choice between Clinton and Trump…..well, for a split second Clinton being a pseudo-democrat almosts makes me consider the Golden One.

America may not realise what it had before it’s gone…he had flaws, but damn did he have delivery.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD9YvgTtQWE[/video]

hooli

There is no doubt that he is a clown and says everything that pops into his orange head but it is hard to say what the future will hold because he doesn’t seem to be sharing any of his policies.

That could mean that he doesn’t have any or it could be a well thought out plan. I am guessing the former.

Off topic but I did enjoy the time he announced that he is worth XXX billion so he can make America worth several hundred XXX billions. Somebody then pointed out that all the money he has was left to him and if he had put the money in the bank and spent the last 30 years finger painting, he would be worth about 3 times what he is now 😀

andyl
    Free Member

Shame, I always fancied moving to California and was planning a long holiday there. This might sound a bit knee-jerk but I simply cannot help feeling I do not want to go there if someone like Trump is in power.

It’s a sorry, sorry state for a country to be in and former presidents must be rolling in their graves. Will be a shame to see Obama go.

It’s a shame Arnie isn’t allowed to run for president.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

She will get killed with that strategy as there is far more dirt in her past

Naaa, if there was dirt it would have been dug up long ago. And anything already in the open is old news.

How has mainstream politics become so detached and unrepresentative of the people that they see either of these lunatics as the solution? Hilary Clinton is exactly how. She represents the neoliberal corporatist continuation, which couldn’t give a toss about ordinary people. That people are so disenfranchised that they’d vote for Trump is a damning indictment of both the main parties, and what they’ve become

Both written with an anti-Trump sentiment, but it gives a narrative of how they got there.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/03/tea-party-donald-trump-ted-cruz/
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-trump-tea-party-divide-20160318-story.html

tomhoward

I like Trump seems to be pretty straightforward and no worse than any of the others, I don’t see the big deal

That’s the issue. He is often on both sides of the fence depending on who is interviewing him/who his audience is. What we don’t know is which side he’ll be on if/when he’s in power

BruceWee

I put £25 on John Kasich to win the presidency at 370:1.

Come on, the second ballot in a contested convention!

tlr

Send over Humphrey and Bernard. That’ll learn ’em

dannyh
    Free Member

Nah, the yanks will never elect a slobbering right wing maniac. Oh, hang on.

Now we will witness Trump furiously back-pedalling away from the extreme crap that got him nominated in a desperate attempt to sway some more ‘moderate’ (I use that word advisedly) American voters. Happens every time.

mrsfry
    Free Member

joolsburger

😯 Oh dear

TheFlyingOx

Now we will witness Trump furiously back-pedalling away from the extreme crap that got him nominated in a desperate attempt to sway some more ‘moderate’ (I use that word advisedly) American voters. Happens every time.

This. He is absolutely nowhere near as right-wing as he’s appeared so far. That’s just how far right he’s had to go to out-right-wing the other nutjobs that were running on the GOP ticket so as to guarantee the Republican nomination. He is seriously many orders of magnitude “better” than any of the other Republican candidates, except maybe Ben Carson. Carson’s problem was that he’s more suited to Sesame Street than Pennsylvania Avenue.

br
    Free Member

+1 Cruz is scarier

Either way it’s more about the party than the President, and again depends on what else that party controls.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear… Trump's on the home straight…..’ is closed to new replies.