Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Oh dear… No such thing as a 2.0 x 10mm nipple?
  • Northwind

Just building up a new/old wheel with a new rim and old spokes… I knew the ERD didn’t quite match but figured that if it doesn’t go, I could always just go to 10mm spokes. Early findings are that I have ****ed up completely. Can anyone tell me I’m OK and actually shop X has a pile of 10mm nipples I can buy? Or am I just kind of boned?

PS, doh.

wwaswas

won’t the spokes just poke so far through the nipples they puncture the tubes/rim tape?

or you’ll run out of thread on the spokes before they’re tight?

Northwind

Yeah, bottoming out the spokes. It’s pretty close, but not close enough.

247cycleshop
    Free Member

Spoke nipples come in 12, 14 & 16mm lengths and there are 1 or 2 companies that make 18mm but I have never seen or heard of 10mm ones.

You can normally run about 3mm through the top of a 12mm nipple with no problems, any more than that and they normally just lock up on the unthreaded part of the spoke.

Northwind

I have no idea why I was so convinced there were 10mm ones 😆

The plan now… Is to go home and discover that miraculously the ones in there now are all 14mm. Wish me luck!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Brass nipple are soft enough that you can just keep tightening them IME.

13thfloormonk

Also, to my recollection, Edinburgh Bicycle Coop has/had a spoke threading tool, if you want to do it posh like then you could thread the spokes further down? Not sure if it cuts or rolls the threads though, never got my grubby hands on it!

Northwind

Ah har, that sounds like a plan then. Cheers!

nikk
    Free Member

Also, you get washers if you are just looking for an extra 0.5mm

martinxyz
    Free Member

Was this a carbon rim you were talking about in another thread?

Northwind

Aye, lightbicycles.

Well gentlemen. I am a ****ing cretin. I took the sizes from the wrong box of nipples, this particular wheel has 14s. I’m off to fall on my sword.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Oh dear… No such thing as a 2.0 x 10mm nipple?’ is closed to new replies.