Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Oh cr@p what have I done, WARNING fox forks content.
  • retro83
    Free Member

Dont feel obliged to take them as they are if all questions arent satisfied. **** ebay- its a gawd-awful thing and you are not 'going against the spirit of ebay'. Why should you end up paying circa £350 for a set of 4/5yr old forks?

Sorry, you're siding with the OP who bidded this amount without asking the questions first? 😯

hora
    Free Member

I know- no I'm saying damage-limitation really.

Xylene
    Free Member

Try doing that at a car auction or Southerby's.

If you refused to accept the forks after winning, the seller is well within his rights to pursue you through the small claims court for the money.

hora
    Free Member

When have we become fans of Ebay, the necessary evil? 🙄

Xylene
    Free Member

When have we become fans of Ebay, the necessary evil

I'm not a fan of Ebay, however, this isn't about Ebay, it's about the OP agreeing to pay x amount for an item then deciding that he hasn't done enough research and backing out.

wwaswas

I'm with the "don't bid unless you absolutely are going to pay" people on this.

If you have second thoughts after you win then tough.

If when you have paid and received the goods and then feel that they aren't as described then you argue it out with the seller/get paypal involved. You don't put the winning bid in and then start asking detailed questions about the item.

With forks, my personal view is don;t buy somethign you know you're going to send straight off for a service – it adds £100 to the cost of the forks…

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

If you don't like eBay don't use it – simples.

Put yourself in the seller's shoes for a moment.

Sure if the forks are not as described then the buyer has a case through Paypal which they will almost certainly win, but don't bid if you're not sure and you haven't asked the relevant questions first.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Paper Lawyer – Member
    Just to clarify the situation (for cynic-al's benefit ), the forks must conform with their description (section 13 Sale of Goods Act 1979).

Did I say otherwise? Do keep up! My point is that the buyer does not necessarily have the right to rescind.

hora
    Free Member

overall in good working order,usual paint chips nothing majior stantions are smooth

Pay by Paypal. The above short description says to me there shouldnt be anything wrong at all with the stanchions and 'overall in good working order' means they dont need an immediate overhaul.

Saying that- who would do this? PITA because you know you'll have to return them. Might as well just cut to the chase and back out. Save everyone time.

I've bought THREE noddy forks off this forum before- two were sent back and one had money knocked off. If the sellers had been abit more honest It'd have saved me and them time. Its what the seller holds back from you thats the problem.

Lakes_Puma

Hora, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, I'm glad you understand me. 😀

I'm happy to pay the winning price if I can slap them on my bike head off down the nearest hill and not have them explode half way down!

wwaswas

that's exactly what I'm trying to do, I'm glad you understand me

but what you seem to not grasp is that everyone else is saying you need to make that decision/ask those questions before you win them, not afterwards.

retro83
    Free Member

Might as well just cut to the chase and back out. Save everyone time.

…Apart from the seller who the OP could have asked before bidding and will need to relist/second chance the forks.

br
    Free Member

Is it just me, but they're a pair of 36's – and look in good condition. Have I missed the issue?

hora
    Free Member

b r's taken a step-back/perspective. Yes you are right- we are assuming they are tired/worn.

uplink
    Free Member

I believe you have an hour to inspect [& reject] your buy after the hammer falls at car auctions

chakaping
    Free Member

Why are you assuming there's something wrong with them?

It says good condition. If the stanchions are worn or pinch bolts cracked then the fork is not in good condition and you can send it back.

If you're just trying to back out because you think you've overpaid then be honest about it with the seller and let him offer the next bidder – with you paying the difference.

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, the seller has the same carpet as is in my living room.

Wonder if my wife is dealing s/h bike parts on the sly.

Lakes_Puma

chakaping: I'm not trying to back out because I think I've over paid, I'm trying to avoid the time/cost/hassle of sending them back (which I don't think I can actually do all I can do is raise a claim under paypal buyer protection) if they are not as described.

My email to the seller is giving them an opportunity to examine the forks and his description and say "actually I have missed out of the description that the forks are cracked and stantions damaged, so lets just withdraw the sale"

pitduck
    Free Member

You won the auction, they are your forks now,+1.remind me never to sell u anything 😯

grumm
    Free Member

Isn't this a new level of neurosis even for STW?

'What do I do if the forks I haven't got yet are broken even though they are probably fine?'

Why do you think they will not be as described? Does he have decent feedback?

😕

higgo
    Free Member

Should've got Lyriks any way, particularly buying 2nd hand.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Bought some reba's really cheap from ebay. The steerer was really short so knew they would go fairly cheaply. They didn't turn properly, like the steerer was bent somewhere, it didn't look bent. Thought I could live with that. So took them apart and the stanchions were quite bably corroded. There was no oil inside at all. Anyway got my money back. Worth the risk as they were only about £50.

hora
    Free Member

Should've got Lyriks any way, particularly buying 2nd hand.

Never again.

bigyinn
    Free Member

All this fuss / paranoia about fox forks is getting way out of hand.

Remember the thread where the OP posted that fox forks were not fit for purpose and asked for people to back him up with their own failures? It ended up the majority who posted were defending the forks rather than backing him up.
    Typical of the STW lynch mob to take the opposing view to the OP.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Typical of the STW lynch mob to take the opposing view to the OP.

As you appear to be doing also?

Point is he's bought a set of forks and he's worried that they won't match the description – fair enough email the seller with specific queries but no need for a thread on here.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Where am i saying ANYTHING in relation the OP al?

khani
    Free Member

This is getting silly now
    If he says they are ok and they are not, send them back
    If you want to back out cos they were too expensive, hold your hands up and say you cocked up and pay the difference on the second bidders price
    I'd be proper peed off if I was the seller with all this messing
    if buying secondhand bothers you that much buy new ones with a warrenty

hora
    Free Member

Lakes_Puma

I actually find this thread quite interesting, as a people watching experiment, to see different peoples take on things.

My original post was to gauge the costs of various things like;

new seals £x
    Full service by Mojo/TFTuned £y
    New crown and stantions £z00
    etc.

I've not heard back from the seller so I don't know if that is good/bad or indifferent.

But I agree that this thread has kind of run its course (unless someone actually has the costs I am interested in).

Can a thread be closed?

khani
    Free Member

Any second hand purchase is a gamble that you wont know you've won til you get it in your hands

cp

seals and service are on the mojo & tftuned website. CSA for my 32's was £130 in round numbers. MOre expensive for the 36's – I think they are towards £200. mojo are pretty helpful on the phone.

Lakes_Puma

You won the auction, they are your forks now,+1.remind me never to sell u anything

Pitduck I have a 16" 456 frame you can have for £100 it's mint condition.

actually its a chopped up saracen frame rusting in my garden but you don't seem to mind if sales descriptions are not accurate?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The trouble is you dont know what state the forks are in until you actually have them and can inspect them.
    With the best will in the world, it doesnt matter how honest (or not) a seller is, you wont know until you take them apart.
    Worst case scenario you find the lowers are cracked and the stanchions are worn, in which case they're only fit for the bin. Then you get back to the seller and raise a dispute.
    Best scenario they are fine with no cracking or stanchion wear. Result, be happy.
    Hopefully they'll be fine and you'll have got away with it. Lessons learnt etc etc.
    Im sure they will be fine, from the pics they look in good nick and looked after ok.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

hora
    Free Member

I don't think its paranoia. Any Fox fork thats owned for a number of years will show signs of wear and tear.

If I owned any of my forks past 6months they'd definitely show signs of wear and tear let alone 4yrs. If I owned a set of Rockshox's for more than 4 weeks they'd FAIL.

higgo
    Free Member

If I owned a set of Rockshox's for more than 4 weeks they'd FAIL.

and who could blame them?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its the forks choice.

bigyinn
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

bigyinn – Member

Ok, to clarify, I meant in general on STW, not specifically at the OP. Perhaps you should change your name to pedantic-al? Just a thought 😉

Lakes_Puma

UPDATE –

Terribly, the seller had a serious accident and was unable to ship the forks so they have chosen to cancel the sale and refund my money, so I'll never know what condition they were.

Oh well back on the search again, this time with a little more knowledge and restraint.

wwaswas

maybe they read this thread and couldn't face the lynching? If not I hope they're recovering…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Oh cr@p what have I done, WARNING fox forks content.’ is closed to new replies.