Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ogwen Valley rides?
  • Jordan

Just got back from a week travelling around North Wales in the van. On the final night we found a lovely campsite in the Ogwen Valley that we really want to go back to for a longer stay. We are going to get a couple of walks in the Glyderau but also fancy a bit of riding around there. I noticed a few bridleways in the area on the map.

Anyone know what the riding is like around there? OH can cope with mild tech but it would have to be nothing too gnarly. Any good loops or out and back? If there was something with a bit more tech that I could escape to for a couple of hours that would be good also.

RustySpanner

Dolgam campsite?
    How were the midges? 🙂

There’s loads of non techy stuff on the fire roads around Betwys and the Marin and Penmachno are just down the road.

The two lakes route around Llyn Colwyd and Llyn Crafnant finishing back at Capel Curig is a classic.
    Google it, scares the gravy out of me though. 🙂

The Bikefax site/book has lots of routes of all abilities for the area.
    A great way to get started.

Jordan

@RustySpanner cheers! That two lakes route looks ace, might be a bit much for OH though. How scary is it?

Gwern Gof Isaf campsite, a few midges at first but soon disapeared when the breeze got up.

RustySpanner

Too much for me, but I’m a notorious mincer!

The ride up to Llyn Colwyd from the A5 between Tryfan and Capel is fine, but can be wet and it can be tricky finding the right path the first time you do it, if you’re an idiot like me.

The North side of Colwyd is (was?) rutted and a bit rocky, can be hard to keep up momentum, lots of pedal strikes.

Steep tarmac downhill and a breather takes you to Llyn Crafnant. The southern side of the lake is a little hardpack and then tarmac, but goes past a really nice caff, the northern side is fireroad/doubletrack, a bit more interesting but no caff and more wooded, so not as nice views.

At the end of the lake you go up past the old Mynydd Climbing Club Hut to a very rocky saddle before a narrow and rocky (in places) descent back to Capel Curig.

I find it very tiring, both mentally and physically.
    None it flows, you have to concentrate.
    It makes a nice walk though. 🙂

Bear in mind I’m old and ride a steep XC hardtail.
    If you’re fit and with a suitable bike I’m sure you’ll love it.

Jordan

Cheers! Sounds like OH wouldn’t like it, I might give it a go though 🙂

slowoldman

old Mynydd Climbing Club Hut

Old as in “aged” not as in “ex”. Still very much in use.

mrchrist

Mega route but Do it the other way round to avoid a massive descent on the road from Lyn cowlyd though… Anti-clockwise.

The climb up to the saddle from capel is actually quiet enjoyable. First half is a bit flat and the second bit is a bit steeper but mostly ridable.

Top section (50m) of the descent is a little bonkers but soon gives way to a smoother fast trail.

There is a lovely view point on the corner just after the bonkers bit with an amazing view along llyn crafnat.

Jordan

@slowoldman sounds a bit like me.

mrchrist
    Jordan

Cheers for that link @mrchrist looks another good one! Doing the lakes route the other way sounds like an option also. Might try it both ways and report back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ogwen Valley rides?’ is closed to new replies.