Offshore work

Home Forum Chat Forum Offshore work

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Offshore work
  • Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber

I am A happy Mud Engineer. I sometimes spend time on this Planet. 😀

( Trail-Rat.. Spent most of last winter on the Aker/Transocean Barents)

antondavis77

dear righog, is there anything common in work of a mud engineer with this one http://www.joboilrig.com/2012/06/mud-engineer-jobs.html

antondavis77

i will appreciate your prompt response

trail_rat

thats why you were happy then righog – that place is a floating palace ! i was only there for 2 days – lots of swelling formation meant i got in to casing shoe and went thump into formation – POOH and went home.

wonder if the OP has got an offshore job now his bike shops shut.

antondavis77

the last i could find is http://drillingrigs.blogspot.com/2013/04/offshore-oil-rig-job-companies.html
    my brother started that way – he had no experience, but found some companies close around, contacted each of them, and had the luck with one.. and so already 4th year.

athgray

I am finding this thread interesting. Have a degree in mechanical engineering and have worked for 9 years in mining. Looking for a career change into oil and gas, potentially offshore. Went to a careers fair a couple of days ago in Aberdeen and was overwhelmed by the amount of information. Not sure how best to target applications. I am signed up to oil careers and a couple of recruitment agencies, however these only recruit for onshore positions. Any advice on progressing an offshore career would be welcome.

Premier Icon northernerindevon
    Subscriber

I work as a hydrographic surveyor on a large ROV Survey / Construction Support vessel, & I love it; 5 weeks on then 5 weeks off, not stuck in one location – we work all over, North Sea, Mediterranean, West Africa, Caribbean, India, although mostly North Sea. The ROV guys on board have a great time, there are a lot of ex-divers and ex-forces guys and it’s a great work environment. The vessel is pretty plush and we are well looked after. Before getting my place on her, I was doing rig moves and hated working on the rigs, weird, inhospitably bleak places compared to working on a vessel. I can claim my tax back too… Although its getting harder and harder.

For the OP, as people have previously mentioned, if you get your tickets then that shows a lot of willing on your behalf and you’ll find it easier, but it is a large outlay (some of the courses are good fun though!). Maybe worth looking at training as an ROV pilot / tech as good ones are always in demand.

The sun’s shining here in Devon, time for some cheeky coastal singletrack…

8)

trail_rat

” Any advice on progressing an offshore career would be welcome”

right now – apply for everything – even if they specify experiance

its boom time and theres a serious shortage of skilled staff about- i could if i wanted to double my money just by moving company if i felt like i wanted the stress ….. im happy where i am and i dont “need” the extra money tbh.

messiah

A big disincentive for oil and gas service companies taking on staff is how frequently people decide that the offshore life is not for them… training folk up and heaving them leave is an expensive business. This is particularly a problem for the ad-hoc guys who flit-here-there-everywhere at a moments notice. It takes a particular character to fly into (say) Yemen and be taken up into mountains in the back of 4×4 next to a guy chewing khat carrying a Kalashnikov; then dealing with the boredom and petty BS of the north sea platform “girls” the following week.

As trail-rat says.

right now – apply for everything – even if they specify experiance

But don’t expect an easy life and the road is not paved with gold… unless you have the expertese and experience the industry requires.

Trail-rat… swapping jobs for more money can be shortsighted (often just a change of boiler suit colour 😉 ). Changing jobs to remain interested and broaden your experience is far more rewarding in the long run.

Premier Icon juanking
    Subscriber

As stated it could be worth a punt getting your CV out there but anyone thinking it’s an easy path to riches will be in for a surprise. Without experience you will (most likely) start at the bottom but any half decent company will see if you do well and should/might help you progress. Once you are ‘in’ then with a few years behind you opportunities will arise as you’ll have a track record and possibly most importantly contacts.
    Throughout the late 90’s and 2000’s I’ve worked in some interesting places which I wouldn’t change but as you start to get older being away from a young family etc frequently becomes more difficult. I started in various contractors and finished offshore work about 5 years ago working for a super major as a company man who I am still with. Now I’m do mostly 9-5 hours with an international trip for a week or so about every 2 months.

trail_rat

“But don’t expect an easy life and the road is not paved with gold… unless you have the expertese and experience the industry requires.”

This…..but if you are a grafter and can put up with some shitey conditions you can make some good coin.

My life plan doesnt consist of working offshore for the rest of my life thats forsure but its making a good dent in the mortgage.

messiah

My life plan doesnt consist of working offshore for the rest of my life thats forsure but its making a good dent in the mortgage.

Having a life-plan puts you head and shoulders above most of the pond scum in this industry who’s idea of culture is a designer outfit, a bling watch and an evening of drinking piss lager while letching at foreign girls dancing in the gentlemans clubs 😥

Great name juanking 8)

My experience has been similar… I switched jobs for interest and not money. My broad background get me in with supermajor and after 5 years sucking up the training I got pissed off with the pointless BS and went DRB 😉

Get a foot in the door at almost anything. Work hard and smart and you can move up and around to almost anywhere…

Premier Icon Davesport
    Subscriber

Mate reckons he can just get any old job with no experience….is this the case? Won’t he need some kinda qualifications/experience?

Your mate needs to have a word with himself. If he suspects he can get a job offshore with no qualifications or experience, my advice would be for him to give it a try. He might get lucky….but doing what & where ? The well paid jobs are filled by people with qualifications & experience. The lower paid jobs are filled by contractors who outsource their employees from places like the Phillipines.

Getting a job offshore’s just like getting a job onshore. You have experience, bits of paper & contacts. It’s a progression & sometimes a difficult one even for well qualified & experienced applicants.

D.

1981miked

I’m in the process of trying to get offshore, I have a feeling it may prove to be a real challenge.

I have a basic knowledge of hydraulic pumping equipment as I work with it every day in my current job as an HGV driver, also have basic mechanical skills as I used to do routine maintenance on my lorry at my last employer, nothing official though.

I am fine with starting at the bottom and working my way up, not afraid of hard work and used to working away from home. I applied to maybe 12 companies online on Monday and handed in a further 6 CV’s and covering letters on Tuesday.

Heard conflicting stories, some people saying “you will get offshore no problem, young, hard working, eager to learn, quick learner, sensible, easy to get on with etc” others saying “no hope without experience”.

How do you get it if nobody will give it? They say there is a massive shortage of “good” people willing to work offshore…

Well… Here I am, ready and willing to go ASAP!

Still early days though so fingers crossed, I don’t even know anybody in the industry well enough to get them to put in a letter and CV on my behalf (heard of a few guys who previously applied to companies with no reply, then when a friend or relative hands in the same CV and letter… Chatting! Interview then job)

If anybody has any info or help please feel free to email mikedonald@hotmaildotcom.

Why is it that most people on this thread feel that they have to go offshore straight away? If you get a job offshore then fine, but don’t rule out a job onshore where you can gain valuable experience.

I started work as a drilling tools & NDT inspector onshore and gained valuable experience before going offshore and eventually all over the world. I started at the bottom and am now in a management position through sheer hard work.

Oppotunities are there just now but just be realistic in how you want to get your foot in the door.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Why is it that most people on this thread feel that they have to go offshore straight away?

crappy jobs seem attractive at offshore rates?

trail_rat

tbh even in the north sea the crappy jobs and even entry level semi skilled positions are being taken by lower paid eastern european workers from the agencies of late.

for my job this is not a bad thing in my experiance as they are much more friendly and helpful IME than many(but not all) of the north sea tigers ive experianced who seem to have a major chip on their shoulder about outsiders – maybe feel their job is at threat by outsiders on “THEIR” rig.

for our country it might be a bad thing as it prevents a pool of homegrown talent – although many of our homegrown drillers and toolpushers ive met in west africa earning superstar wages.

antondavis77

hi guys, I am writing you with a request to check or share your opinion/experience on these oil rig companies I would be glad to hear your comments because I have already applied on some of these companies’ oil rig job offers.

antondavis77

Here are some of the biggest liquefied natural gas companies so you can try contacting them in order to find LNG jobs.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Offshore work’ is closed to new replies.